The Gabby wind up bounce pass | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Gabby wind up bounce pass

Reaction Score
No arguing with her point guard ball skills, CocoHusky, but she's had trouble with her jumper beyond 12-15'. Just can't be a point guard without a consistent outside shoot.

Unless your name is Danielle Robinson, who has yet to even attempt a three point shot in the WNBA.

Gabby should be a worthwhile project to a WNBA team. Will she eventually be a PG? That's an intriguing thought. Nice length and defensive skills for a PG. Is she considered an on-ball defender?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When open near the foul line Gabby elevates and hangs in the air so long, that she has too much time to consider her shot. For most guards it's a one-motion, legs-under, elevate (sometimes) and release. Among Gabby's elongated shot-thoughts could include. "Okay, nobody's guarding me, but nobody's open; I don't always make these, but Coach says, "take the shot". But I don't always make these. What the heck, I'll try. Hey, somebody should clean those cobwebs from the rafters." Then she comes down.
I’ve noticed that when Gabby just catches and shoots, she’s a much better shooter than when she has time to think about it.

Reaction Score
That Gabby came to UCONN with PG skills is something I have stated and taken much grief for on the board. If you go back and look at Gabby All Star Girls report Brett McCormack had her Number 1 in the class and stated that she could play positions 1-4. In AAU and HS basketball Gabby was the primary ball handler=PG. Many people dismissed that saying that Gabby was the best player therefore default PG. Gabby's shooting was lacking when she came to UCONN but her ball handling and passing were definitely not. When she arrived at UCONN besides the other wordly athleticism one of the very fist basketball skills Gabby displayed is as an interior passer-At the time I said it was one of the best on the team.

Per Geno in 2017:
“I made a comment her freshman year with someone that said ‘She was a point guard in high school, why is she playing in the post?’,” Auriemma explained. “I said ‘Because she's a great point guard. But she can’t pass, she can’t dribble and she can’t shoot. But other than that she’s a phenomenal point guard.’”

When Williams came in, the coaching staff focused on crafting her inside game. It worked.

“She’s learned how to score around the basket against anybody,” said Auriemma. “When the guard stuff starts to happen, it’s because she puts time into it every day like she did some other stuff. Then it’ll happen.”

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
she's was a point guard in high school.... again, when she came to UConn. You gonna take Geno comments serious... he had better PG options and with her leaping ability why not maximize it. She wasn't the tallest on the team but jumped center. Jefferson, Nurse, Chong and Dangerfield were all much better PG's and cant do what Gabby does inside. No with Z there, along with Napheesa and KLS Gabby can handle the ball a lil more. the turnovers arent all her fault but

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In the WNBA, she will be a guard, so it's professionally necessary for her to develop guard skills this year. I'm hoping that she can have a pro career similar to what Tiffany Hayes has had. I think that their skills are similar.

Tiff was nice at UConn, but she has really blossomed as a professional. Gabulous is too talented not to be a high draft (top 5) choice in 2018. She can be compared to a swiss army knife, she does so many things. She also has that UConn pedigree going for her. WNBA coaches absolutely love that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
she's was a point guard in high school.... again, when she came to UConn. You gonna take Geno comments serious... he had better PG options and with her leaping ability why not maximize it. She wasn't the tallest on the team but jumped center. Jefferson, Nurse, Chong and Dangerfield were all much better PG's and cant do what Gabby does inside. No with Z there, along with Napheesa and KLS Gabby can handle the ball a lil more. the turnovers arent all her fault but

Whatever you say dude

Reaction Score
I am more concerned with her limiting her own playing time because she is consistently getting in foul trouble. Maybe she is more aggressive defensively this season because there theoretically is more bench depth?

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I am more concerned with her limiting her own playing time because she is consistently getting in foul trouble. Maybe she is more aggressive defensively this season because there theoretically is more bench depth?
That's what she said in one of her interviews this year. Can't remember which one.

Reaction Score
In this article from over the summer, Gabby said she is relieved she "doesn't have to guard the big guys anymore", so she was anticipating a more perimeter role this year. Says she was exhausted at the end of last season.

"I'm actually very happy that we're bigger this year and I don't have to guard the giant guys, the way I had to last year, and we won't be so small," Williams said. "And I think my defense is best when I'm out on the perimeter or I'm out there pressing full court. It was hard for me to do that last year when I've got to come down and bang with the big guys in the block. So I'm very relieved."

Defending in the paint took its toll on Williams, although she never seemed to wilt.

"I was drained," Williams said. "By the time the tournament came, I was used to it by that point. But I was drained."

UConn Women’s Insider: Now A Senior, Gabby Williams Looks Inward To Elevate Game

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It would seem Geno is using Gabby in the best way to help the team win, but not exactly preparing her for the next level.
Those two things are are not mutually exclusive. Best for the team, is best preparation for Gabby at the next level. If not for playing in the post I'm not sure Gabby would have had a role as a Guard on this team over the past three years. A player can't develop from being on the bench.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Gabby is the straw that stirs the drink.
Gabby is the drink!
images

Reaction Score
Those two things are are not mutually exclusive. Best for the team, is best preparation for Gabby at the next level.

Not necessarily. If you look at the case of one-time Baylor first team All American Nina Davis, to prepare her for the next level Mulkey needed to develop her as an SF or even a guard. She's a slight 5'11. But instead Mulkey kept playing Davis as a PF because that's what she was best at and it helped the team. Gabby is more athletic than Davis, but the situation is eerily similar. There are no 5'11 power forwards in the WNBA. It's hard to find a starter that's below 6'2.

Like I said, I believe Gabby is worthwhile project for the WNBA. I just wish for her sake that her perimeter were more on display this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. If you look at the case of one-time Baylor first team All American Nina Davis, to prepare her for the next level Mulkey needed to develop her as an SF or even a guard. She's a slight 5'11. But instead Mulkey kept playing Davis as a PF because that's what she was best at and it helped the team. Gabby is more athletic than Davis, but the situation is eerily similar. There are no 5'11 power forwards in the WNBA. It's hard to find a starter that's below 6'2.
Like I said, I believe Gabby is worthwhile project for the WNBA. I just wish for her sake that her perimeter were more on display this season.
I mostly agree with you but fail to see what that has to do with Gabby or UCONN.
Aside from both playersbeing the same size 5'11" there is little comparison of the two players. Gabby Williams was a HS McDonalds AA playing at the guard position before coming to UCONN. Gabby also came in with a class of four other guards one of whom (Kia) was inserted into the starting line up after 2 games. Nina Davis never had SF or Guard skill so she was relegated to playing the post at Baylor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Per Geno in 2017:
“I made a comment her freshman year with someone that said ‘She was a point guard in high school, why is she playing in the post?’,” Auriemma explained. “I said ‘Because she's a great point guard. But she can’t pass, she can’t dribble and she can’t shoot. But other than that she’s a phenomenal point guard.’”

When Williams came in, the coaching staff focused on crafting her inside game. It worked.

“She’s learned how to score around the basket against anybody,” said Auriemma. “When the guard stuff starts to happen, it’s because she puts time into it every day like she did some other stuff. Then it’ll happen.”
This is really a remarkable story.

Can anyone think of another significant player, ever, who was recruited as a guard and then was developed as a post?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno put Gabby in the post because that was where she could be most effective. Early on she couldn't consistently make perimeter shots which is pretty essential when you play guard. What's the point of having a guard on the perimeter who doesn't need to be guarded on the perimeter? During her time at UConn Geno has encouraged Gabby to work on her ball-handling and perimeter shooting which, coupled with her quickness and athletic ability, would make her that much more difficult to defend. Gabby has put in the work but seems to still lack confidence in her shot-making ability. There's nothing about playing the post in Geno's offense that prohibits that player from scoring from the perimeter. Stewie was 6-4 and scored from spots all over the court; Maya played the 4 and scored in the lane and beyond the arc. Geno would love it if Gabby showed the same versatility. It's up to Gabby to have the confidence to take and make perimeter shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom