The Gabby wind up bounce pass | The Boneyard

The Gabby wind up bounce pass

Reaction Score
Gabby is displaying the point guard skills that she came to UConn with

I think I have to disagree a bit. Gabby game to UConn with a lot of BB potential, but it was mostly her athleticism and determination that carried her thru her first couple of years. She's always run like a gazelle and leapt tall buildings in a single bound, but she'll be the first to admit that she didn't play a lot in HS due to her knee surgeries, and her ball handling and shooting skills were lacking. But she's worked her butt off and every year those skills have gotten better. She's a complete player now - a demon on defense, has a variety of shots and moves so much better with the ball. It's fun to watch her run the court with the ball now, particularly with the "wind-up bounce pass" in the repertoire. Her basketball skills are catching up with her other-worldly athleticism and it's awesome to witness.

Reaction Score
Kia: “You know it’s coming and I think sometimes she puts it out a little too far in front of me, but we have an understanding of if you put it out there, I promise you I will go and get it or I will try my best to go and get it and its worked out well most of the time.” What Kia is sort of saying is: not everyone's as fast as you are Gabby!

I don't know how else Gabby is expected to get it to Kia. If it's a bounce pass (as opposed to a leading lob, which is far more easily intercepted), you can't do a 2-handed chest pass while running full speed. It's got to be the baseball throw. Just that Gabby's is a bit more dramatic, since she suspends time between strides.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The master of that “wind up bounce pass” was Magic Johnson with the Lakers. Also watched Larry Bird do it a few times. The fact that Gabby has been able to incorporate that pass into her game is a credit to her athleticism and work ethic.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think I have to disagree a bit. Gabby game to UConn with a lot of BB potential, but it was mostly her athleticism and determination that carried her thru her first couple of years. She's always run like a gazelle and leapt tall buildings in a single bound, but she'll be the first to admit that she didn't play a lot in HS due to her knee surgeries, and her ball handling and shooting skills were lacking. But she's worked her butt off and every year those skills have gotten better. She's a complete player now - a demon on defense, has a variety of shots and moves so much better with the ball. It's fun to watch her run the court with the ball now, particularly with the "wind-up bounce pass" in the repertoire. Her basketball skills are catching up with her other-worldly athleticism and it's awesome to witness.
Gabby had guard skills when she arrived at Uconn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby is displaying the point guard skills that she came to UConn with
I think I have to disagree a bit. Gabby game to UConn with a lot of BB potential, but it was mostly her athleticism and determination that carried her thru her first couple of years. She's always run like a gazelle and leapt tall buildings in a single bound, but she'll be the first to admit that she didn't play a lot in HS due to her knee surgeries, and her ball handling and shooting skills were lacking.
That Gabby came to UCONN with PG skills is something I have stated and taken much grief for on the board. If you go back and look at Gabby All Star Girls report Brett McCormack had her Number 1 in the class and stated that she could play positions 1-4. In AAU and HS basketball Gabby was the primary ball handler=PG. Many people dismissed that saying that Gabby was the best player therefore default PG. Gabby's shooting was lacking when she came to UCONN but her ball handling and passing were definitely not. When she arrived at UCONN besides the other wordly athleticism one of the very fist basketball skills Gabby displayed is as an interior passer-At the time I said it was one of the best on the team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the WNBA, she will be a guard, so it's professionally necessary for her to develop guard skills this year. I'm hoping that she can have a pro career similar to what Tiffany Hayes has had. I think that their skills are similar.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Based on Williams' team leading turnovers (2X anybody else) and crappy A/TO numbers I would say that more often than not, she "gets it there" to the other team.

Reaction Score
Based on Williams' team leading turnovers (2X anybody else) and crappy A/TO numbers I would say that more often than not, she "gets it there" to the other team.
Kia and Saniya last year were the guards. This year Danger and Kia. You could add KLS, but I see her most as a wing. Gabby for the most part is a post.\
How does she compare to other posts? ---
If you take what she gives: Rebounding, post scoring, quick hands on defense, steals, leadership (this year) . What player on what team would GENO trade her for today? Every player has faults, every player has attributes---I'll take Gabby's faults to get her attributes.

Reaction Score
That Gabby came to UCONN with PG skills is something I have stated and taken much grief for on the board. If you go back and look at Gabby All Star Girls report Brett McCormack had her Number 1 in the class and stated that she could play positions 1-4. In AAU and HS basketball Gabby was the primary ball handler=PG. Many people dismissed that saying that Gabby was the best player therefore default PG. Gabby's shooting was lacking when she came to UCONN but her ball handling and passing were definitely not. When she arrived at UCONN besides the other wordly athleticism one of the very fist basketball skills Gabby displayed is as an interior passer-At the time I said it was one of the best on the team.
No arguing with her point guard ball skills, CocoHusky, but she's had trouble with her jumper beyond 12-15'. Just can't be a point guard without a consistent outside shoot. She's clearly working on it this year (in anticipation of next year) but hasn't hit it regularly.

Reaction Score
Suffice it to say Ms. Gaboulous is acutely aware of that fact and will improve things as the season moves along.
With the 13 or so members of this team---the faults of each is identified by Geno. He will work to fix each fault to the extent he can and with top Hard contributing players; he will take what he can and accept the rest, while continuing to work on the weaknesses. I trust in Geno. I'll take what he gives, or go watch Duke.

Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah, but whaddabout her midrange jumper?

When open near the foul line Gabby elevates and hangs in the air so long, that she has too much time to consider her shot. For most guards it's a one-motion, legs-under, elevate (sometimes) and release. Among Gabby's elongated shot-thoughts could include. "Okay, nobody's guarding me, but nobody's open; I don't always make these, but Coach says, "take the shot". But I don't always make these. What the heck, I'll try. Hey, somebody should clean those cobwebs from the rafters." Then she comes down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom