the G.O.A.T | Page 2 | The Boneyard

the G.O.A.T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calhoun had Ollie take over the reigns.. why not DT take over for Geno. I'd like to see a Rebecca or Kara come in and take over work with the centers and forwards... or a Charles.... Why not have an all UCONN coaching staff ;) Heaven knows we have the talent to do so.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
10612556_10152657613449280_4108437124339487068_n.jpg

Saw the thread title. Was really hoping to see a pick of DT after clicking. Check.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What Calhoun did with players wasn't thought highly of--his old [mod edit] approach won't fly with parents, administration, or players. Some worship him, some not so much. I'm not much of a Calhoun fan--the only UConn Men's Coach in 50 year I didn't care much for---unlike Geno he had a one style fits all for his players.

I don't think Geno is as multi dimensional as you make him out to be as far as style goes. Plenty of kids couldn't hack Geno, and they leave. UCONN also has a the luxury of picking pretty much whomever they want, so kids coming in already buy into that style.

JC had more subtlety than "one size fits all" as well. Most observers don't notice it of course, because people's dislike for the guy get in the way of seeing exactly what he did. Similar to Bill Belichick. Two of the GOAT coaches in their respective sports.

I wish more coaches were like Calhoun. The basketball would be played at a higher level.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Calhoun had Ollie take over the reigns.. why not DT take over for Geno. I'd like to see a Rebecca or Kara come in and take over work with the centers and forwards... or a Charles.... Why not have an all UCONN coaching staff ;) Heaven knows we have the talent to do so.
so what we do with Shea?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Diana would absolutely kill it as a recruiter. Personality for days.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Diana becomes the head coach, we're going to need an associate head coach with the size and strength of Tina to keep Dee from getting tossed.

Reaction Score
I'm with KnightBridge on this one. Great players -- say Ted Williams -- see the game in ways that potentially great players cannot. They can give pointers (as Williams did for years), but for say-in and day-out coaching, most would be miserable, because their players -- even the good ones -- will never be able to see the game the way the greats do and do the things they did, and n amount of frustrated wishing on the part of the great-player-now-coach will make it so. The ones who do better are ones who have played enough to know the game but acquire the wisdom (and observe good coaching long enough) to make C players into B players, and B players into A players.

Hey, Whalers fans! Remember Joel Quenneville Great guy, solid defensive defenseman, but not a star. Pretty damn decent coach, though. Dave Tippett is another example from the same team, though he has not had the same success. You did not see Bobby Hull coaching, or Dan Marino or Reggie Williams. Bob Cousy was a fine college coach but a mediocre pro coach. Bill Russell has an undistinguished coaching record.

Among Huskie alums, Jen Rizzotti already is proving herself. Mel Thomas might have what it takes. Jamelle would seem likely, but we'll never know with her light hidden under the bushel basket that is Cincinnati basketball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's too bad that Dee wasn't with the team in Annapolis, because I believe the Navy mascot is ... a GOAT. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kib, maybe he meant take over as reining champions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom