The Future of UConn: A basketball perspective...(kinda long) | The Boneyard

The Future of UConn: A basketball perspective...(kinda long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
First off I'll say that having played football at AirForce, I've never been a huge UConn football fan. However, since 94' ive been the biggest men's bball supporter (in my own mind at least). So my thoughts are based around the hopes of constant and future growth of UConns basketball program. This whole realignment has not sat well with me and if there were two teams that I did not want to leave the Big East, it was Pitt and Cuse hands down. Now UConn is stuck in a kind of conference purgatory at the mercy of the ACC, which burns me up. The ONLY reason I would like to see UConn get a bid for the ACC is merely for stability, b/c we all know that collegiate sports starts with football and the money rolls downhill from there, but IF there was a possibility to be monetarily competent outside the ACC it is my personal belief that UConn should stay in Big East, b/c let's face it: that is who we are, that is our brand, and that is our recruiting pitch. I have no clue if the BE can retain a BCS bid, and that is the problem.

But seeing the bball side of things, we have to be honest with who we are. Yes he have 3 titles, but less than 12 months ago ALL of us were worried what the upcoming season was going to hold coming off a Va Tech loss in the NIT, heck we had that hater Gottlieb telling Roscoe to rethink his commitment because this program was going nowhere. Fast forward a year and we are sitting pretty, being crowned by the nation ( whether they like to admit it or not) as one of the top programs and a debated Blue Blood! Unfreakingbelievable! Now if we were to go to the ACC, yes the competition would be awesome and we'd finally have a chance to shut those inbred tobacco road fans up year in and year out, but I'm thinking long-term. Being diehard Husky fans we've had the privilege of watch one of the best to ever do it Mr Calhoun, coach this team and we know first hand how important coaching is to bball success. but if coaching is 1-A, recruiting is 1-B. And this is where I get scared with a jump to the ACC, our advantage is our coach, recent/past success, and definitely our geography. The tri-state area is the equivalent of Dade county in football (a hotbed of talent) and we get commitments b/c of our coach, we play in the region, at MSG, and that hard nosed style of play week in week out in the Big East. Now lets hypothesize what would happen 5 years from now in the ACC after having a down year (No Cahoun, possible...no MSG possible, lack of interest from recruits due to playing mostly south of the Mason Dixie....very possible).

I just don't want UConn to become watered down and become irrelevant competing in a conference... like it or not ran by Duke and Chapel Hills. I mean look how dominant Miami was in football in the BE and now look at them after the move to the ACC. BC sucks but they were somewhat competitive in the Big East as well. I truly believe that is what will happen to Cuse's and Pitt's programs 5-7 years from now. I want UConn to not only be but continue to be the Top Dogs! Think Kentucky SEC, Duke/NC ACC, Kansas Big 12, MSU Big 12', UCLA PAC12......I believe Cuse (and to a lesser extent Pitt) were in our way of totally claiming our conference......but if we stick with the Big East ( which will still be damn good bball wise) The Big East will claim UConn as it's king, and it will remain that way if we have a down year or not, because we are "that team" for our conference, let's not forget a conference nestled in fertile bball talent. This may be speculation but I truly feel it to be true...basketball wise I think Cuse and Pitt signed their own death warrant, I just don't want us to do the same. That is all, let me know what ya think.

Reaction Score
Agree w much...I think the risks to continued success on the floor & the recruiting circuit has more to do w managing the post-JC transition than ACC affiliation going forward.

btw... are you a ghostwriter for DogMania ;)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i feel if they either keep it as is or add memphis to all sports and make nd join football or kick them out we will be good

Reaction Score
Not trying to be disrespectful, and I'm sure there were many good points, but I got one sentence in and could go no further. The big block of black was more than my brain could handle.

I do think that you will need to quantify being "the biggest MBB supporter" however.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
At this point, UConn should just drop football and cut our losses now.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Not trying to be disrespectful, and I'm sure there were many good points, but I got one sentence in and could go no further. The big block of black was more than my brain could handle.

I do think that you will need to quantify being "the biggest MBB supporter" however.

Fixed the big block, but not to be disrespectful, I don't think I have to quantify to you how big of a fan I am...sorry.

Anyways read if you want, doesn't bother me either way. Just relaying what I think.

Reaction Score
See some reason in this, but what you have to look at is the possibility of the BE getting even further watered down. It may not just be Cuse/Pitt, but in time, you could see the Big 12 steal Cinci/Louisville, the SEC taking WVU. The problem with the BE is that it's HIGHLY unstable. It is the league to poach from. So although I'd love Uconn to be the top dog in a great basketball conference, that conference might ultimately become nothing better than MAAC in due time. Uconn will look like a fool if it's sticks to this premise, has no football conference and is the only full sports state school playing in a conference full of basketball only catholic schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom