The future of the Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The future of the Huskies

Reaction Score
Re: World Exposure Report. It’s basically one guy with a laptop calling himself a CEO. Google Donnie Woods World Exposure Report and check out his less than impressive resume on Linked In of 7 jobs in 9 years. And don’t forget, he was the first to call Cardoso to UConn. ;)
Couldn't remember his name but I've been skeptical of the site from the start. When it first emerged in 2020 and posted different lists, I did the Google search. It seemed sketchy from the start.

And his predictions? Oh man, if people truly believed that his reports were accurate, that's on them. I did find his rankings of the conferences rather entertaining. :confused:

Reaction Score
So what have you seen in about 10 minutes of playing time for Amari this year that convinces you that she can and will be more productive than Liv? Will she pass as well as Liv? Block shots as well as Liv? Rebound as well as Liv? Based on what evidence?

I would note that in the U19's this summer, Cori Close had Amari as the last big on the floor, playing mop-up minutes behind some players who have not distinguished themselves in this college season (e.g., Feagin and Lauren Ware). Has she transformed herself since then? How do you know?

I think this is another case of "new toy syndrome".

I cannot think of a single UConn recruit that came in so highly ranked as DeBerry who has been relegated to the bench. And not just the bench, but virtually no playing time, even after the game has been won. I find it shocking.

Reaction Score
So what have you seen in about 10 minutes of playing time for Amari this year that convinces you that she can and will be more productive than Liv? Will she pass as well as Liv? Block shots as well as Liv? Rebound as well as Liv? Based on what evidence?

I would note that in the U19's this summer, Cori Close had Amari as the last big on the floor, playing mop-up minutes behind some players who have not distinguished themselves in this college season (e.g., Feagin and Lauren Ware). Has she transformed herself since then? How do you know?

I think this is another case of "new toy syndrome".
I don't think Ware is a fair example for comparison. She's a starter for Arizona. The only reason she hasn't played in a while is due to an injury. I thought she had some impact last season during Arizona's run to the NCAA Finals.

Reaction Score
I have seen on this board more than once that the next great recruit(s) is going to lift UConn to it's next National Championship. I too have bought this and could not wait to see these young people on the floor to perform. With the exception of Paige, everything has been a fizzle and a dud. Either injuries, or sitting on the bench or whatever, cannot bring back the era of success that we saw wih Breanna Stewart et. al. I am eager to see all of this talent perform but it took injuries and 4 people and transfers to finally see Carolyn D play basketball. Something is wrong with this picture. Now it is time for a story

I went into the Marine Corps in 1967. I was only going to serve my country for 2 years and go home. I had 2 degrees, BA, and MA. I was a LCPL Force Recon Marine trained in Information and Telecommunication technology, went to Viet Nam and was assigned o a multi service group to deploy a specialized technology along the Ho Chi Minh trail and into North Viet Nam. Since the Marines had the Northern I Corps area, I was relegated to North Viet Nam, Cambodia and Laos along the trail. I also was deployed to plant the devices at Khe Sahn. At my 11th month I was going to home and be discharged. They offered me a battlefield commission and I was a 2nd LT. I stayed in VN for another full year. A few years later I was the youngestt LT Colonel in the USMC because I was a survivor with combat experience and built that organization with the Marine Corps. After 23 years, I realized that physically I could be a detriment and the world had changed around me. I did not want to get anyone killed around me.

Maybe, it is time for Geno to reflect about his time and for his next steps.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have seen on this board more than once that the next great recruit(s) is going to lift UConn to it's next National Championship. I too have bought this and could not wait to see these young people on the floor to perform. With the exception of Paige, everything has been a fizzle and a dud. Either injuries, or sitting on the bench or whatever, cannot bring back the era of success that we saw wih Breanna Stewart et. al. I am eager to see all of this talent perform but it took injuries and 4 people and transfers to finally see Carolyn D play basketball. Something is wrong with this picture. Now it is time for a story

I went into the Marine Corps in 1967. I was only going to serve my country for 2 years and go home. I had 2 degrees, BA, and MA. I was a LCPL Force Recon Marine trained in Information and Telecommunication technology, went to Viet Nam and was assigned o a multi service group to deploy a specialized technology along the Ho Chi Minh trail and into North Viet Nam. Since the Marines had the Northern I Corps area, I was relegated to North Viet Nam, Cambodia and Laos along the trail. I also was deployed to plant the devices at Khe Sahn. At my 11th month I was going to home and be discharged. They offered me a battlefield commission and I was a 2nd LT. I stayed in VN for another full year. A few years later I was the youngestt LT Colonel in the USMC because I was a survivor with combat experience and built that organization with the Marine Corps. After 23 years, I realized that physically I could be a detriment and the world had changed around me. I did not want to get anyone killed around me.

What an interesting career at an interesting time for the Corps. I’d love to sit down and have a beer with you and hear your perspective.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I cannot think of a single UConn recruit that came in so highly ranked as DeBerry who has been relegated to the bench. And not just the bench, but virtually no playing time, even after the game has been won. I find it shocking.
Mikayla Coombs? I’m pretty sure ESPN had them ranked comparably.

Reaction Score
Of course you do! However, how many of those highly ranked players were out of shape, struggled with learning the system, and had 3 more experienced and older players ahead of them?

Reaction Score

Thank you for your service. If we ever meet the beers are on me (and presumably CL82). Reflection is good, but I don't think Geno needs to consider his next steps for a few more years.

Reaction Score
My read of the original post is mmeade258 is very excited about the potential of that lineup, but wasn't sure if the most likely starter at C was Dorka or Amari. My best guess would be Dorka, but Amari's ranking suggests it is not a given, and we have not seen enough of her so far in a Uconn uniform to draw many conclusions. Remember her ESPN ranking at 15 was the low, the others had her top 10 and I believe one as high as 5.

I guess if you looked at the overall HS rankings of Azzi, Caroline and Amari, they may not be that different from Christyn, Evina and Liv, but I fully expect the newcomers to be better in time than our three seniors have been. That is partly because our seniors have under-performed their rankings substantially. Yes there may be a new toy element to it, but if those three newcomers simply play to their rankings they will be an upgrade over the graduating seniors.

Among the three comparisons I feel very confident Azzi will be better than Christyn, pretty confident Caroline will be better than Evina, and consider Amari vs. Liv to be a tossup at this early point in their development. Of the 5 positions projected C might be the weakest regardless of if it's Dorka, Amari or even Piath, and if that is true we might be in pretty good shape.

Reaction Score
My read of the original post is mmeade258 is very excited about the potential of that lineup, but wasn't sure if the most likely starter at C was Dorka or Amari. My best guess would be Dorka, but Amari's ranking suggests it is not a given, and we have not seen enough of her so far in a Uconn uniform to draw many conclusions. Remember her ESPN ranking at 15 was the low, the others had her top 10 and I believe one as high as 5.

I guess if you looked at the overall HS rankings of Azzi, Caroline and Amari, they may not be that different from Christyn, Evina and Liv, but I fully expect the newcomers to be better in time than our three seniors have been. That is partly because our seniors have under-performed their rankings substantially. Yes there may be a new toy element to it, but if those three newcomers simply play to their rankings they will be an upgrade over the graduating seniors.

Among the three comparisons I feel very confident Azzi will be better than Christyn, pretty confident Caroline will be better than Evina, and consider Amari vs. Liv to be a tossup at this early point in their development. Of the 5 positions projected C might be the weakest regardless of if it's Dorka, Amari or even Piath, and if that is true we might be in pretty good shape.
I partially agree. Dorka averaged a double double for the last 2 seasons. I am confident she could do it the next 2 years if healthy. Dorka has superior offensive skills over either AE or Liv. Hopefully Amari will get development minutes this year and be a regular contributor next season. I think a thornier issue is Caroline's playing time if everybody makes it back. Personally I would play Caroline as much as possible.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Wasn't Amari nicked up last summer?

One thing I've never seen before is a UConn team coming into the season with so many players nicked up or coming off surgery. Paige, Christyn, and Piath all had off-season surgery. Nika had a foot issue (for the second year in a row), Azzi as well, apparently. Dorka pulled a muscle around the start of school and missed the Sept conditioning. Aubrey has been struggling with back problems. Saylor had been struggling with back problems, then a foot/ankle. Mir had/has chronic tendonitis (knees?). Am I missing someone? Add Amari to that list and you've got a roster of walking wounded that would raise a coach's blood pressure.

Reaction Score
And you’ve concluded this after 9 games?

One of the most competitive opening 9 games in school history?

Reaction Score

Yeah, when Geno sits down and dispassionately looks at the last five years, it’s difficult to see how he could come to any conclusion except the brutal reality that he has failed in every way possible! Let’s see; no undefeated seasons, a mere final four appearance each year, several close conference wins, no coach of the year trophies, and only one generational recruit! Absolutely disgraceful! Really, all you can do is shake your head!

I too, thank you for your service.

Reaction Score
From what I've learned over the years, rankings are subjective and differ depending on who's behind them. It's become such a huge business that everyone who "knows" the AAU basketball scene seems to have their own projections.

Being highly ranked by these sites doesn't always translate into the NCAA. There are too many examples of ranked players not progressing or having any impact with their respective teams.

Edit - one example in DeBerry's case. She played with the Philadelphia Belles AAU team. If I have my facts correct, the Belles AAU program is run by/affiliated with Mike Flynn who is also behind the BlueStar report which is a ranking service. His organization hosts various events and his rankings have seemed skewed more towards those who had been associated with his Belles AAU programs.

I agree 100%. The rankings could be a guideline but the coaches have their own criteria based on their team needs.
But Geno recruited her; expect he didn't pay much attention to ratings.

Reaction Score
Heresy.
I agree with his assessment though. It's time. No way it happens any time soon but it's time to go. He's here for years more but he should really lighten up and take some lessons from Tito Francona about lowering the pressure on his players. It's got to be fun.

Reaction Score
I agree with his assessment though. It's time. No way it happens any time soon but it's time to go. He's here for years more but he should really lighten up and take some lessons from Tito Francona about lowering the pressure on his players. It's got to be fun.
They have that slogan on their wall, “have fun”. They know that when they come in.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable!

Reaction Score
But Geno recruited her; expect he didn't pay much attention to ratings.
Which is exactly what I said when I made this comment in the same post.

Coaches have their own rankings. And in many cases they differ considerably from those amateur website rankings.
I agree 100%. The rankings could be a guideline but the coaches have their own criteria based on their team needs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom