The Future Is Bright | The Boneyard

The Future Is Bright

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The youngsters are growing up, folks. There's a lot to be excited about, with players like Whaley, Carlton, Vital, and others. They are learning to play together and they are getting better. The growth is there. The improvement is there. And the future is bright.

Pride. Heart. UConn.

(If Jalen comes back, the future is even brighter...)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What is bright? I don't see any NCAA runs in this squad, and I don't see the recruiting to fill the gaps. Basically, we are positioned to periodically beat SMU, which doesn't strike me as very bright.

Reaction Score
What is bright? I don't see any NCAA runs in this squad, and I don't see the recruiting to fill the gaps. Basically, we are positioned to periodically beat SMU, which doesn't strike me as very bright.

Carlton and Whaley are keepers. They have all conference potential.

Vital competes hard and seems to love Uconn. He needs to improve on shooting, shot selection, ball handling and basically everything else. But he loves UConn and will continue to be an important part of the program. I just hope next year he doesn’t have to play so many minutes. His ideal role is a 6th man on a good team.

Polley has the length and seems to have a skill set but has a long way to go.

Wilson is an elite athlete.
I’m a believer in Akinjo and Matthews jr.

Maybe Adams stays or Gilbert can be a healthy, productive player? I would be happy with either one of those.

I think the talent level and potential on the roster or coming into the roster is better than you suggest. We still need good shooting desperately and while our talent and athleticism isn’t as good as several of the teams we already played, there is some brightness in the future.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
At least enjoy the moment. That's like winning $25 on a scratch-off ticket but hanging your head because the convenience store clerk wasn't smiling. That's kind of a bad analogy, but you get the idea.

Reaction Score
The youngsters are growing up, folks. There's a lot to be excited about, with players like Whaley, Carlton, Vital, and others. They are learning to play together and they are getting better. The growth is there. The improvement is there. And the future is bright.

Pride. Heart. UConn.

(If Jalen comes back, the future is even brighter...)
It is a good win but don’t get carried away as SMU is down a couple players and it was a home game. Something to build on but the offense still looks pretty one dimensional for the most part. Good to see Vital hit shots as that helps out a lot.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It is a good win but don’t get carried away as SMU is down a couple players and it was a home game. Something to build on but the offense still looks pretty one dimensional for the most part. Good to see Vital hit shots as that helps out a lot.

You're like the fourth person to say SMU is down a couple of players without acknowledging that we are currently also down a couple of players. Straight up comedy...

Reaction Score
You're like the fourth person to say SMU is down a couple of players without acknowledging that we are currently also down a couple of players. Straight up comedy...
I still said it was a good win but don’t get carried away with it. It is a good as a win as UCF was at home. Something to build upon but besides Carlton I don’t see a lot yet to get excited from the other young guys on UConn. Polley has his moments but isn’t consistent and Whaley is still very limited.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I still said it was a good win but don’t get carried away with it. It is a good as a win as UCF was at home. Something to build upon but besides Carlton I don’t see a lot yet to get excited from the other young guys on UConn. Polley has his moments but isn’t consistent and Whaley is still very limited.

Given where Carlton and Whaley were ranked coming out of HS, they have vastly outperformed expectations. They are definitely cornerstone pieces on a level above what we have been used to seeing these past few years.

Reaction Score
Given where Carlton and Whaley were ranked coming out of HS, they have vastly outperformed expectations. They are definitely cornerstone pieces on a level above what we have been used to seeing these past few years.
Whaley has outperformed his rankings? He looks like a 150 to 200 prospect. Those guys do have some skills as you will find them on most P5 schools too. I don’t see much from him but an active body right now which is all we need. Carlton might have but I noted in the preseason he had some good skills down low.

Reaction Score
One win against SMU doesn't erase 9 (mostly) horrific loses.....good win against a borderline tourney team & we're both missing key players.

Not sure this changes the trajectory of anything unless we follow it up with meaningful wins.

The future is the next game, impossible to know right now who will be on the team next year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Carlton and Whaley looked like players going forward which is good to know.

I feel a little and I mean a little better after this game, but not all games at The Gampel

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Right, you mean like another team who's down a couple of players? ;-)

Reaction Score
Right, you mean like another team who's down a couple of players? ;-)
Doesn’t mean we have turned our season around or are improving vastly. Carlton seems to be but this win is similar to the UCF game. Not a game changer but a good win.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Doesn’t mean we have turned our season around or are improving vastly. Carlton seems to be but this win is similar to the UCF game. Not a game changer but a good win.
I hear ya. There is the potential for any good win to be a pivotal one though so let's hope they build from this and not revert back to what we saw in Memphis.

Reaction Score
Some just can’t enjoy a win

No, we can enjoy a win, but we just aren't delusional enough to make ridiculous statements like "the future is bright", simply after beating a mediocre SMU team!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom