The Fruits of Not Wanting to be Terrible | The Boneyard

The Fruits of Not Wanting to be Terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I thought this part was really interesting. Despite as treacherous as the offense looked at times:

Typically about 21 percent of your defensed passes result in interceptions; for UConn, it was under nine percent. The Huskies also only recovered 41 percent of all fumbles, meaning that they had some of the worst turnovers luck in the country, losing almost five points per game to bad bounces in a season that saw them lose four games by a touchdown or less. Despite the wretched offense, UConn wasn't far away from being about as successful as Rutgers, basically.

Reaction Score
I think the most important part, is that the dude noted that our defenses progressively got worse during games, and related to the DL rotation (lack thereof). I'm pretty sure that Hank Hughes, will enjoy the benefits of being able to rotate in and out DL's to keep their legs fresh for the fourth quarter this season.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Gave the line a bit of a pass and hammered LM. Guy must be a former lineman.

After reading it, I'm concerned mostly about pass rush and run stopping on D and just about everything except QB on O.

Reaction Score
Gave the line a bit of a pass and hammered LM. Guy must be a former lineman.

After reading it, I'm concerned mostly about pass rush and run stopping on D and just about everything except QB on O.

The line did get better as the season went on in run blocking. (Not great - better) They were awful against Mass and NC.State in run blocking. THe fact that we completely dominated UMass physically, covered it up, but it came very clear against N.C. State, and the critique of McCombs is spot on. We had big issues with blocking out of the backfield throughout the season last year, so I'm really looking forward to what Walsh and Clax can do. That the writer didn't really touch on. Pass protection needs to get better this year, but I think that will come with having a more experienced QB.

Reaction Score
The defense failed often in the 4th quarter last year because of a myriad of factors, including the fact that the offense couldn't run the ball and grind out clock. but, other teams were eventually able to beat the pressure D that coach loved by running crossing patterns vs the LBs and also beating the CBs 1x1 when keeping full protection packages in. One of the failures of the coaching staff was the defensive coordinator's inability to change philosophies in the 4Q of games when his players were tired and offenses adjusted. If Uconn didn't get sacks in the 4th qtr, they were giving up yards and points at an accelerated rate.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Some of those stats were new to me, like the one where you look at RB production in situations where the OL gives them 5 yards... would be curious to compare LM vs. other running backs perhaps later this year, though hopefully LM ups his game and it becomes a moot point!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The other theme of that post that I think is very relevant... is that there is a big middle zone of averageness (some might call it mediocrity) in CFB outside of the top 30, that's most of our opponents. And if you look at all of the close losses we've had the past 2 years, hopefully PP and the staff learns from those mistakes, and factor in a small but hopefully significant #uptick in on-field talent, I think 7 wins, rather than 6, sounds very reasonable. Of course, injuries, or mistakes by newer players with less experience could negate that if we still have a bunch of close games.

Yeah... I'm half trying to talk myself into higher expectations and half trying to avoid being disappointed again...

Reaction Score
That was actually a pretty impressive article and much more analysis than I've seen pretty much anywhere. I don't necessarily expect local reporters to have that kind of analysis done, but still, I am pretty impressed. I also noted that the turnover margin was severely unlucky and with a few good bounces, last year's team goes bowling.

Maybe I haven't lost all hope quite yet. More like.. 92% of it. Still. 8% is something. ;)

Reaction Score
The defense failed often in the 4th quarter last year because of a myriad of factors, including the fact that the offense couldn't run the ball and grind out clock. but, other teams were eventually able to beat the pressure D that coach loved by running crossing patterns vs the LBs and also beating the CBs 1x1 when keeping full protection packages in. One of the failures of the coaching staff was the defensive coordinator's inability to change philosophies in the 4Q of games when his players were tired and offenses adjusted. If Uconn didn't get sacks in the 4th qtr, they were giving up yards and points at an accelerated rate.
Agreed. Defense was on the field too long in games and by the fourth quarter not much gas left in the tank.

I believe the difference maker this year will be the improved recruiting and because of it improved position depth. So... a 5-7 season a year ago where a couple lucky bounces, a made field goal and a couple less tired players could have changed things around..... WILL change things around this year with improved depth. I'm looking at 8-4 conservatively. Could be, hopefully will be better than that....7-5 at worst. I just think that there is so much riding on this season that everyone's focus..... from Ward & Susan & the trustees, to the coaches & staff, to the players, students, alumni and general fans and even hopefully the local media, will be on how successful the football team is. There is no doubt that the university would benefit tremendously if it was allowed to be be closely associated with research universities Like Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue. The athletics side of it is just the gravy. So even though monumental shifts in UConn's athletic affiliations won't happen this year the ground work can and will be laid for that to happen with improved play on the football field & continued support from the state.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
UConn wasn't far away from being about as successful as Rutgers, basically.

All we really needed was a better head coach.

Reaction Score
Despite the wretched offense, UConn wasn't far away from being about as successful as Rutgers, basically.

A couple numbers back that up - Rutgers was 106th in total offense and 10th in total defense last year, while we were 113th in total offense and 9th in total defense. Not far away indeed.

Reaction Score
................ I just think that there is so much riding on this season that everyone's focus..... from Ward & Susan & the trustees, to the coaches & staff, to the players, students, alumni and general fans and even hopefully the local media, will be on how successful the football team is. ...........

You forgot the refs! I hope they are on our side. If we get a W versus Michigan because of a blatant blown call, who cares. All that does is give us a win over Michigan and set the stage for a fierce rematch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom