The Freshmen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Freshmen

Reaction Score
I think she did. I can recall when UCONN got her she was spoken of as "once-in-a-decade" type player. I know there was talk of that she might not be the best some suggested Ashley Robinson was better. Hard to tell back then but it turned out that it was a joke.

Also there was some significant anti-UCONN sentiment. Mel Fortner I think (maybe someone else) said some pretty outrageously stupid things about DT as a high school player. What former coach slams a kid coming out of high school in the manner she did? IMO it was to downplay UCONN.

But from what I remember- DT was thought of mostly as amazing once-in-decade type.
I remember DT being kinda chubby coming out of Don Lugo [CA] high school and needed to lose weight to be competitive in college, if memory serves me...

Reaction Score
I remember DT being kinda chubby coming out of Don Lugo [CA] high school and needed to lose weight to be competitive in college, if memory serves me...

I guess it depends on the context of your point. We just heard from Paige that she said she was warned her freshman year was going to suck. We've heard nearly all the players say they really aren't ready for what to expect. Even Chris Dailey says it. So I don't understand the context of your post vs what I said. You agree whht me? You don't? If you say she was out of shape-- okay but so is nearly every single freshman according to all the players includng CD. Though I wouldn't use your word "Chubby." I think DT could have kicked my butt even when she was 18!

I said DT was thought of to be once-in-decade player. And most freshman struggle with UCONN practices. SO I don't understand what you're saying in relation to my point that DT was a 1-in-decade player as a recruit.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't Like to go deep but he also hasn’t had the opportunity. In all the discussion about Anna one has to remember she very likely will work on her game over the summer, hopefully in Storrs after a short visit to see the folks, and return an even better player. Right now we see a freshman taking charge on the floor. Even when she was “struggling” the team played much better when she was on the floor. One also has to remember that we lose not just a point guard in Crystal but a three point shooter. I don’t see Geno sitting a proven three point shooter who can rebound, pass, and dish.

Reaction Score
Breanna started and scored more points in her first 10 games than any freshman at Uconn ever - she went into a tailspin from there and did not start for a month or so until she finally got her head straight and rejoined the starting line-up.

Maya did not join the starting lineup in her freshman year until injuries decimated the starters - she did play a ton of minutes and was the teams leading scorer from the beginning of her freshman year as the super sub.

DT did not start her freshman year on a loaded team until Sveta went down in game 17 I believe - she was getting solid minutes before she started.

Sue, Nicole, Renee, Bria, and Crystal all started as freshman because they were much better point guards than what were returning and they did very well. Kelly, Kia, and Christyn started as freshman for the same reason.

We do not have a PG that has played a minute of Uconn basketball next year and Geno loves true point guards. Evina is maybe a combo guard at best a 2 guard probably more naturally. Admittedly TN offense was nasty but Evina did lead the team in assists with 163 as a sophomore, but also had 101 TOs (she had 121 as a freshman.) I certainly cannot name the last player at Uconn who had 100 turnovers in a season let alone a PG who made it to triple digits. And Evina has only been on the floor a a few practices at Uconn so while I am sure she has learned a lot watching and listening she certainly doesn't have '3 years of college experience.'

Christyn has started every game she has played at Uconn but 1. She is #8 on the Uconn freshman scoring list. She may not be very popular with posters, but her stats are good and she does play solid defense and Geno trusts her. I do not see her playing 30+ minutes next year as she has for her first 2 years, but I suspect she will start the year as a starter.

For Aubrey to start, she would need a huge jump in her jump shooting. She had a fabulous game today and yet she shot 33% from 3 feet and 65% on her FTs.

Anna for the last month has been starting and playing well - took her a while to find her groove within the offense but she has found it and is playing really well. She is a big body which adds value to an otherwise undersized team this year. She has probably shown enough to get first shot at starting next year at 2G.

All that said I think it comes down to Evina and Page for the 5th starter game one next year and I have no idea who gets it. And I also don't know who will get the most minutes but I suspect no one will be logging more than average of 28. I think there is enough talent coming in that every one of the returners will see their minutes drop. Right now Walker, Williams and Dangerfield are all above 34 minutes.
Crystal didn't start as a freshmen. Saniya started that year.

Reaction Score
She didn't start because they were loaded. Most talented team in UConn history. I never heard anything about weight with Dee!

Reaction Score
Good points. I don’t believe that Auriemma cares if the kid is a freshman or not. IMO, Bueckers is much further advanced both mentally and physically than any HS PG I’ve seen in a long time and if she picks up his offensive concepts and grabs control of that offense at the start of practice, she’ll play a lot. IMO, the faster pace and more open court because of the better spacing will actually make her more dangerous. I think she’s at the level of Bird coming out of HS and has the chance to have Bird’s type of college career also.

I have complete faith that her offensive game won't be the reason Geno doesn't start her.....................the only conceivable reason would be her defense................she is quite the ball hawk which can leave her out of position from time to time...................I suspect that's the area that Geno will focus on most in her freshman year............

Reaction Score
Breanna had even more upside than Paige. Breanna wound up on the bench, and she wasn't great until the tournament.

rare is the freshman that doesn't have struggles at some point during the season but Breanna overcame them to become a huge part of that team and I expect PB to do the same.........

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Breanna had even more upside than Paige. Breanna wound up on the bench, and she wasn't great until the tournament.

Statement #1...I'm not sure about that...different physical specimen, different roles. Paige may be exactly the persona and skillset that Geno requires to bring this team back to the top.

Statement #2 Stewie's freshman year was almost a disaster...She and coach were really at loggerheads...It was one of his finest hours that he was able to turn her loose at the tourney...but man, like Churchill he came close to losing the battle.

Reaction Score
Our A Freshman to me are amazing. They each have their strengths and weaknesses which benefit the team. Think about it......
Anna’s fun bullet passes and Audrey’s tenacious rebounds...........and much more!
Let’s go UCONN!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Because defenses will sag off Aubrey and double team Crystal or Meg. Christyn must be guarded.
Since that is the case why doesn't Geno turn her loose and tell her to start shooting her jumper when she is open? She said she was told to play defense, rebound, and set screens. If she played on another team, she would show everyone her outside shot. However, her overall game would probably not be as complete as it will be after playing for UConn. She said she is doing what her coaches told her to do.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Crystal didn't start as a freshmen. Saniya started that year.
Thanks - don't know what I was thinking!
I got curious about Evina because until she got to TN I had not thought she was considered a PG and the make up of the TN team and the coach was sort of miscasting her. Went back and looked at the Hoopgurlz listing for 2017 and they listed her as a guard not a PG. Here is some of the evalution:

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2016: Smooth back court performer handles and distributes in transition game with court awareness; consistent mid-range game producer; defends, anticipates; poised guard with size on perimeter; an elite prospect in the class of 2017. (Olson)

Nike Nationals-July 2015: Athletic off-guard with size in the back court, manufactures to the arc, delivers with consistency in transition; versatile defender, rebounds, handles and passes in transition; superb guard skills and the elite scoring guard in the 2017 class. (Olson)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Because defenses will sag off Aubrey and double team Crystal or Meg. Christyn must be guarded.

This year, yes. But I was responding to the talk of next year's lineup. With Bueckers and Westbrook coming in, and Makurat looking like a future star, Christyn needs to improve.

Reaction Score
Ok now I hit my tolerance. No, Just NO it would not be a sin of epic proportions! Seriously, people need to be realistic. Evina was a 2-year starter at one of the most storied top 3 programs in the History of WCBB who averaged 15 points per game against top D1 competition. She was #2 ranked player in her class. She has PROVEN HER SKILLS against collegians. Paige for all her accolades and potential will get significant playing time early and often BUT IT IS NOT A FOREGONE conclusion she will start.
We will be deep and talented and time and a talent will price who will be starters by the time the Big East Tournament starts. Maybe it could be Paige but my guess is Geno does not want to put that burden on her so soon with correct perspective.
While I love all the Paige enthusiasm, let’s be fair and see how it plays out and BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. Stop with the excessive hyperbole. And yes Charlie that especially includes you!
I do believe Paige is the best recruit since Breanna but she will not be THE PLAYER day 1. Day 110 maybe...:rolleyes:

Westbrook’s former program is indeed one of the most “storied” programs ever but has not been that for many years now! It has instead, been one of the most dysfunctional programs in the country since Pat had to step down. To be fair, it wasn’t the same even before she stepped down, but it was never that while Holly was in charge. So your implication that Westbrook is somehow the repository of some great body of knowledge, skill, and experience that she obtained from this “legendary” program just doesn’t fly. Admittedly, she was a top-ranked recruit but the two years she spent in that program (as dysfunctional as it was then) is not a big plus on her resume imo. More important, again imo, is the current year that she has spent in a functional program that is the clear top program in women’s basketball history. Let’s just wait and see. I’m betting on Paige to be a truly great player who will help us return, not to the top, as we have never left there, but to domination once again! I have hope that Westbrook will be a big part of that but I think there is only going to be one “generational” player on next year’s team and her initials are PB!

Reaction Score
I got curious about Evina because until she got to TN I had not thought she was considered a PG and the make up of the TN team and the coach was sort of miscasting her. Went back and looked at the Hoopgurlz listing for 2017 and they listed her as a guard not a PG. Here is some of the evalution:

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2016: Smooth back court performer handles and distributes in transition game with court awareness; consistent mid-range game producer; defends, anticipates; poised guard with size on perimeter; an elite prospect in the class of 2017. (Olson)

Nike Nationals-July 2015: Athletic off-guard with size in the back court, manufactures to the arc, delivers with consistency in transition; versatile defender, rebounds, handles and passes in transition; superb guard skills and the elite scoring guard in the 2017 class. (Olson)

I think the consensus has been she's not really a natural point guard but is talented enough to play the position.........Tennessee fans were constantly on her for her turnovers, something Geno will certainly not tolerate..............there's only going to be one natural point guard (I'd almost call her supernatural) on the team next year.........

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I really like the enthusiasm and the context that many have given-it helps evolve the dialogue and understanding. Some additional facts to support of refute assertions already made:
Diana started 14 of 33 games. Sven started 19/19 before the injury. Agreed this was as loaded a team as any in UConn history.
Maya started 30 of 38 games her freshman year. We also had a 3 year lull of S16, Elite 8, Elite 8 before Maya arrived.
Breanna started 14/36
Kia Nurse started 36/39 games and that is impressive given Mo was the point and Soniya played in 38 games that year.
Crystal Dangerfield started 6/31
Megan did not start any games- 0/32
Christyn started all 38/38 and as noted, we did not have any talent depth.
Next year, we will have depth. Evina brings an edge that this team is lacking. Paige also brings an attitude that may bump heads with Geno at times. Her talent should win out in the end but there will be growing pains.
My guess is she could be starting by mid-late January given our understanding and expectations of her maturation.
Either way, the team should be very good at ball movement with Anna, Evina, Paige, Nika, Liv, Meg, CW and Aubrey. Add in the newbies of Aaliyah, Piath and Mir to learn and understand the offense and that’s pretty impressive.

Reaction Score

I knew you knew lol!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think the consensus has been she's not really a natural point guard but is talented enough to play the position.........Tennessee fans were constantly on her for her turnovers, something Geno will certainly not tolerate..............there's only going to be one natural point guard (I'd almost call her supernatural) on the team next year.........
Ummm I assume you are thinking Bueckers, however I believe Muhl is probably a more pure PG. Bueckers I believe can play some 2 also. IIRC she did some with Van Lith. Muhl though I think is pretty much a 1.

Reaction Score
Ummm I assume you are thinking Bueckers, however I believe Muhl is probably a more pure PG. Bueckers I believe can play some 2 also. IIRC she did some with Van Lith. Muhl though I think is pretty much a 1.

absolutely my bad............forgot about the next flashy European import............she is most assuredly a pass first point guard..............her lack of a consistent outside shot leaves me wondering what impact she will have on the team next year........

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom