The Freshmen | The Boneyard

The Freshmen

Reaction Score
Breaking into this lineup for next next year’s freshmen will be a challenge.
There has been a lot of discussion on who gets playing time next year. Anna and Griff will be be major contributors and the freshmen will have to prove they are ready to play at UConn level to steal minutes from this years bunch. If the freshmen are as good as we hope we can finally stop worrying about one injury having a major impact.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to think Paige starts in place of Crystal. Then I say Megan and Olivia and most likely Christyn have starting Slot. I have to think the Westbrook has too much talent to come off the bench. My starters in order of how sure who the starters will be.

Megan Walker
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Paige Bueckers
Evina Westbrook
Christyn Williams.

Under normal circumstances I would have Westbrook ahead of Paige, but I think the team needs a PG that can distribute the ball and even as a Freshmen, I think Paige will be better then Anna Makurat, That's a Nice Lineup.

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of discussion on who gets playing time next year. Anna and Griff will be be major contributors and the freshmen will have to prove they are ready to play at UConn level to steal minutes from this years bunch. If the freshmen are as good as we hope we can finally stop worrying about one injury having a major impact.
I know the name of one of our recruits who will break into the starting line-up. One of her initials starts with Paige.

Reaction Score
Have to think Paige starts in place of Crystal. Then I say Megan and Olivia and most likely Christyn have starting Slot. I have to think the Westbrook has too much talent to come off the bench. My starters in order of how sure who the starters will be.

Megan Walker
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Paige Bueckers
Evina Westbrook
Christyn Williams.

Under normal circumstances I would have Westbrook ahead of Paige, but I think the team needs a PG that can distribute the ball and even as a Freshmen, I think Paige will be better then Anna Makurat, That's a Nice Lineup.
Megan and Anna are sure starters. Liv by default. Paige could break in and combining with Anna assist records will be broken. Evina needs to prove herself in UConn system. CW will have to jumpstart her game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Makurat's been a better player than Christyn Williams for more than a month now. I wouldn't have believed it, but if she doesn't show something better than this, I don't know why CW starts.

Reaction Score

Megan Walker
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Paige Bueckers
Evina Westbrook
Christyn Williams.

Geno won't start a freshman unless he has to, and he won't have to next year as he'll have enough players with experience to fill a starting lineup. Next year will be an older team with two seniors (Evina and Megan), two juniors (CW and ONO), and a sophomore (Anna) starting. Geno only has to replace Crystal, and he'll have a senior in Westbrook that can do that. Aubrey will be the first "big" off the bench, and Paige will be the first guard off the bench. The rest of the newcomers will play as opportunities arise.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Makurat's been a better player than Christyn Williams for more than a month now. I wouldn't have believed it, but if she doesn't show something better than this, I don't know why CW starts.

CW's leash is going to be a lot shorter as we move forward. If she does not show some real good efforts in the playoffs when we need it, not sure a starting position awaits her in her Junior Year.
As Geno says, you cant go with a player if you don't know what you are going to get. At best , she is up and down.

And it has nothing to do with her physical ability so I am not sure you can just train hard in the summer like Megan did. Head bangHead bangHead bang

Reaction Score
Geno won't start a freshman unless he has to, and he won't have to next year as he'll have enough players with experience to fill a starting lineup. Next year will be an older team with two seniors (Evina and Megan), two juniors (CW and ONO), and a sophomore (Anna) starting. Geno only has to replace Crystal, and he'll have a senior in Westbrook that can do that. Aubrey will be the first "big" off the bench, and Paige will be the first guard off the bench. The rest of the newcomers will play as opportunities arise.

as a freshman Bueckers walks on the court as the most creative passing point guard in the country (other then possibly Syracuse's Mangakahia)...................Westbrook might may be the superior athlete but her passing doesn't hold a candle to PB..........

Reaction Score
as a freshman Bueckers walks on the court as the most creative passing point guard in the country (other then possibly Syracuse's Mangakahia)...................Westbrook might may be the superior athlete but her passing doesn't hold a candle to PB..........
But how good is Bueckers against collegiate competition? How many games has she played at this level for us to make these kinds of statements?

Reaction Score

One might go with CW because you expect her to revert back to her frosh year plus improvement. Or maybe Evina is a better SF and PG but not a sg and AM is a slow SG so maybe CW is a better fit to start games in terms of team speed/tempo / full court pressure etc. Just throwing possibilities out. But I understand your point. The spot is open.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But how good is Bueckers against collegiate competition? How many games has she played at this level for us to make these kinds of statements?

It's a good question but, to me, the biggest issues with freshmen are confidence and the lack of ability to process things mentally quick enough. Those things Bueckers has had in abundance for many years. If anyone can step in immediately, it'll be her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't think you should discount Evina's injury/surgery.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I believe Anna will make a big jump this summer as a result it will be very difficult to dislodge her from the starting lineup. Geno very much likes her calm demeanor and her command of the offense. I think Paige by January will see a lot of minutes but probably won't start but a few games. Geno has said Maya was the most ready freshman ever. Show her something and it was "I got this." And she did. But I doubt if she would have started a lot of games without Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene having knee failures. Diana didn't start many games as a frosh. Geno seems to start the more experienced players when he has lots of talent. Freshmen start when there is a real need. Next year the real need is a post. Aaliyah will be the frosh to start with Olivia, Meg, Ania, and Evina if her knee is sound. She is more talented than CW. If her knee is bad then CW starts although it may be a la Doty in her senior year - fewer minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I get your point but she's outplayed the competition at every level including internationally..................when it comes to athletic stardom she's about as close to a sure thing as you can get these days.........

Reaction Score
If I had to choose between Anna and CW in the starting lineup, the choice today is a no-brainer. That may very well be a decision Geno has to make at some point next season.

Reaction Score
I believe Anna will make a big jump this summer as a result it will be very difficult to dislodge her from the starting lineup. Geno very much likes her calm demeanor and her command of the offense. I think Paige by January will see a lot of minutes but probably won't start but a few games. Geno has said Maya was the most ready freshman ever. Show her something and it was "I got this." And she did. But I doubt if she would have started a lot of games without Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene having knee failures. Diana didn't start many games as a frosh. Geno seems to start the more experienced players when he has lots of talent. Freshmen start when there is a real need. Next year the real need is a post. Aaliyah will be the frosh to start with Olivia, Meg, Ania, and Evina if her knee is sound. She is more talented than CW. If her knee is bad then CW starts although it make be starting a la Doty in her senior year - fewer minutes.

sitting Bueckers as a freshman would be a sin of epic proportions.................like taking the paint brushes from a young Picasso........

Reaction Score
sitting Bueckers as a freshman would be a sin of epic proportions.................like taking the paint brushes from a young Picasso........
Were Diana, Maya, and Stewie starters from the jump? I don't really know the answer to this. I know Stewie started some games, but wasn't sure she was a starter per se.

Reaction Score

I have no idea who will start overall. A lot of that has to do with Geno. A few years ago he chose not to start Stevens who was better than Danger because he must've felt Danger was "the better fit." For example I thought it possible to have Nurse start games at PG. So imo no one knows what Geno feels will be "the best fit."You're just as right as anyone else. :)

In addition, Geno is a big Celts fan of the past. He loves having a 6th man as a huge weapon sometimes. No one can predict if he wants that.

But I will say this: It is extremely extremely extremely rare that a junior (last year I'm referencing Paige) is considered in some publications better than any junior or senior. from people who saw many games of the top players That's "rarefied air." And I see some tremendous freshmen this year. I'm not going to close my eyes to this. I know it can be considered "hype" and if you are from "the state of Missouri" then you won't believe it until you see it no matter what.

But for others as a counter point- they know what they think they see and what if they agree with the publications (some of the people that have seen many of the top kids play a lot-- much more than you and I.) that say that Paige is better than all the college freshmen of this year based on last year's performance? If they believe what they see with their own eyes-- then to them it's not "hype." Thus anyone having a view of "show me first then I'll believe" - they've haven't seen her play much while the ones who believe have for maybe even up to a few years and have seen her play with and against college kids (such as the freshmen this year.) - the show me's will never believe. Yet the publications and many who have seen Paige and many others play - they are "telling you" that Paige "is the hype." They've seen them a lot more than me. That counts to some degree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom