The fears of our AD getting left behind are overblown | The Boneyard

The fears of our AD getting left behind are overblown

Reaction Score
I found this article that discusses the new BE media deal and as it turns out, our basketball valuation is likely higher than the B12 and ACC. I don't think the BE is going to disappear or be relegated any more in Basketball than the B12 or ACC would be in a hypothetical P2 break-off (and obviously it's not like B1G is an option for us)

I would assume the push for a power-conference move seems to be more about remedying our AD deficit (the same deficit that is mostly run up by Football) and not the death of UConn athletics

Reaction Score
Its not difficult. If the school's Board, Athletic Director, and President continue to try and push for this it is not because they enjoy being publicly pantsed time after time. These people have more insight into what may be coming than the rest of us. If you do not believe this, then you should want the people doing this fired.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It turns out the UConn athletic department includes football. Please explain how the BE media deal helps football.

If your goal is to be like Providence or Wichita State, then the BE media deal is just fine.

Reaction Score
I found this article that discusses the new BE media deal and as it turns out, our basketball valuation is likely higher than the B12 and ACC. I don't think the BE is going to disappear or be relegated any more in Basketball than the B12 or ACC would be in a hypothetical P2 break-off (and obviously it's not like B1G is an option for us)

I would assume the push for a power-conference move seems to be more about remedying our AD deficit (the same deficit that is mostly run up by Football) and not the death of UConn athletics
If the PAC-6 is no longer with us, the Big East is not safe.

Yes, the search for higher revenue streams is necessary to compete at a higher level.

You would be ok with $40M deficits to stay in big east? That’s insane. The entire athletic department is underperforming revenue rise with the main driver being conference affiliation.

Yes, they can sell, market and perform better. But their media revenues are paltry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It turns out the UConn athletic department includes football. Please explain how the BE media deal helps football.

If your goal is to be like Providence or Wichita State, then the BE media deal is just fine.
We should try and join either the MAC or CUSA for Football only. We have the money to be top of the G5

Reaction Score
Its not difficult. If the school's Board, Athletic Director, and President continue to try and push for this it is not because they enjoy being publicly pantsed time after time. These people have more insight into what may be coming than the rest of us. If you do not believe this, then you should want the people doing this fired.
It's not really "pushing for it" when the initial interest is from the B12

I think if UConn had a clear demise that was imminent our BoT and Lamont would be talking about it and we would be hearing about negotiations between him, ESPN, and the ACC

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is important to keep emphasizing how much more profitable basketball is for the schools than football is for all but maybe 15 programs. Football is going to have massive payrolls just because of the size of their teams and the number of players that actually contribute. Basketball has small rosters, and teams can take the Creighton approach and just pay 5-7 players.

Reaction Score
It's not really "pushing for it" when the initial interest is from the B12

I think if UConn had a clear demise that was imminent our BoT and Lamont would be talking about it and we would be hearing about negotiations between him, ESPN, and the ACC
And you don't think they could say no? Then they could just release a statement calling the Big East their forever home and making the basketball fan forever happy. Think the interest has been mutual between Yormark and UConn, that much is obvious.

Reaction Score
And you don't think they could say no? Then they could just release a statement calling the Big East their forever home and making the basketball fan forever happy. Think the interest has been mutual between Yormark and UConn, that much is obvious.
They could say no, the B12 just did to us. But if the situation was dire the state wouldn't just stop talking about our situation afterwards.

I feel like if it really was a prominent threat Benedict and CT politicians would be openly discussing it

Reaction Score
We should try and join either the MAC or CUSA for Football only. We have the money to be top of the G5
I think our football would be perfect in the MAC… we would certainly be able to compete and play for something

Reaction Score
There continues to be a narrative that Uconn simply has the option to nix its football (or drop it down a level) and all will be fine since the deficit will lessen. This is basically the position of most of the anti-B12 fans on this board, Rob Dauster, Chris Murphy, etc. My read is that this conflating two problems (the deficit vs the long-term viability of Uconn):

1) SEC and B10 teams are getting truck loads of money and will be able to buy whatever players and coaches in any sport they desire.

2) Any team not in those two leagues will struggle to compete as athletes are faced with a decision like "hey, I could play for Uconn for $450k of NIL, or go over to Alabama where they'll pay me $1 mil" Same thing for coaches.

3) Uconn keeps its football team and doesn't land in a better league = Uconn degrades over time

4) Uconn drops its football team and doesn't leand in a better league = Uconn degrades over time

This is why the admin keeps after the B12, it is a step up and a chance to stay relevant. Uconn fans don't need to like this, but they don't need to go on a public rant on social media when we get engaged in these conversations. Like it or not, the Big East is going to be irrelevant in 10-15 years, so what you're crying about ain't going to be there anyways. You might as well save the program.

Reaction Score

I think our football would be perfect in the MAC… we would certainly be able to compete and play for something
You need to be willing to move all sports to the MAC. See UMass

Reaction Score
There continues to be a narrative that Uconn simply has the option to nix its football (or drop it down a level) and all will be fine since the deficit will lessen. This is basically the position of most of the anti-B12 fans on this board, Rob Dauster, Chris Murphy, etc. My read is that this conflating two problems (the deficit vs the long-term viability of Uconn):

1) SEC and B10 teams are getting truck loads of money and will be able to buy whatever players and coaches in any sport they desire.

2) Any team not in those two leagues will struggle to compete as athletes are faced with a decision like "hey, I could play for Uconn for $450k of NIL, or go over to Alabama where they'll pay me $1 mil" Same thing for coaches.

3) Uconn keeps its football team and doesn't land in a better league = Uconn degrades over time

4) Uconn drops its football team and doesn't leand in a better league = Uconn degrades over time

This is why the admin keeps after the B12, it is a step up and a chance to stay relevant. Uconn fans don't need to like this, but they don't need to go on a public rant on social media when we get engaged in these conversations. Like it or not, the Big East is going to be irrelevant in 10-15 years, so what you're crying about ain't going to be there anyways. You might as well save the program.
I will never understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

Reaction Score
I will never understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.
JMick, considering there were people on this Board that legit thought we didn't get into the B12 because of the one loss at Maryland (i.e., B12 Presidents were ready to pull the trigger and then the flop happened), I think it's a lack of gray matter sadly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the fears of getting left behind are very well-founded, but I don't think this past month's dalliance with the Big 12 matters much at all.

The big macro factors affecting the college football business model are much more important than anything UConn is going to do. It is really out of anyone in Storrs' hands. Either events are going to work in our favor, or they won't. In the meantime, dominate in basketball.

Reaction Score

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Reaction Score
It is important to keep emphasizing how much more profitable basketball is for the schools than football is for all but maybe 15 programs. Football is going to have massive payrolls just because of the size of their teams and the number of players that actually contribute. Basketball has small rosters, and teams can take the Creighton approach and just pay 5-7 players.
Basketball loses money with UConn at its prime. If you look at marginal "profit" per athlete, basketball is by far the biggest money loser. It's costs schools a lot more to field one basketball athlete than any sport by far. Fielding 20 basketball players for the men an women at UConns prime revenue in the sport loses just slightly less than fielding 85 football players after over a decade of horrible football. Basketball is about to get a lot more expensive per athlete too.

If you are looking at the finances, cutting basketball is the best bang for your buck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Basketball loses money with UConn at its prime. If you look at marginal "profit" per athlete, basketball is by far the biggest money loser. It's costs schools a lot more to field one basketball athlete than any sport by far. Fielding 20 basketball players for the men an women at UConns prime revenue in the sport loses just slightly less than fielding 85 football players after over a decade of horrible football. Basketball is about to get a lot more expensive per athlete too.

If you are looking at the finances, cutting basketball is the best bang for your buck.

That must be why so many more schools try to compete at a high level in basketball than do so in football. Because basketball is such a money loser.

Edit: wanted to get you on the record for recommending cutting the basketball programs. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You're still on this and somehow it still makes sense in your head. Unbelievable

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom