The Fab Five: My top 5 candidates for Freshman of the Year | The Boneyard

The Fab Five: My top 5 candidates for Freshman of the Year

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This week seems to be time for watchlist updates. But does anyone release an official watchlist for Freshman of the Year? I can't remember. Well, here's my unofficial and tentative ranking of the top 5 FOY candidates. I welcome any critiques.

1. Ruthy Hebard, Oregon
  • Leads her team in scoring (14.5 pg) and rebounding (8.8 pg)
  • Ranks 7th nationwide in field-goal percentage (65.1%)
2. Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
  • Leads her team in assists (5.5 pg)
  • 2nd on her team in scoring (13.7 pg) and rebounding (6.8 pg)
  • Leads the country in triple-doubles (3)
3. Kysre Gondrezick, Michigan
  • 2nd on her team in scoring (15.4 pg) and assists (3.0 pg)
  • Ranks 5th nationwide in 3-point FG percentage (48.0%)
  • Shooting 44.1% from the field
4. Joyner Holmes, Texas
  • 3rd on her team in scoring (12.4 pg)
  • 2nd on her team in rebounding (7.8 pg)
  • Shooting 45.2% from the field
5. Destiny Slocum, Maryland
  • Leads her team in assists (5.6 apg)
  • 3rd on her team in scoring (11.4 ppg)

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I sense that Ionescu, Holmes, and Slocum are the "glamour" choices and have attracted the most media attention. But Hebard and Gondrezick are every bit as deserving. Neither was picked as a McDonald's All-American last year, but hopefully they won't remain under the radar much longer:
  • The more I've watched Oregon (shout-out to the Pac-12 Network), the more impressed I've been by Hebard, not only for her production and efficiency but also for her composure and workmanlike demeanor. She is quickly filling the void left by the graduation of Jillian Alleyne, and she and Ionescu will be a formidable inside-outside duo for the next 3+ years. (Interesting trivia: Ruthy is from the frigid outpost known as Fairbanks, Alaska. A bit more on her background: Ruthy Hebard making early impact for Oregon Ducks)

• Kysre Gondrezick is emerging as an electric offensive player for Michigan. Her efficiency from 3-point range is astounding. Just tonight she posted a career-high 25 points at Purdue on 9-of-13 shooting, including 4-of-7 from 3. (Interesting trivia: Her older sister plays for Michigan State, her dad played in the NBA, and her mom played for Louisiana Tech's 1988 championship team. Also, the two sisters survived a horrific car accident in 2011: HoopGurlz -- Kalabrya Gondrezick and Kysre Gondrezick survive car accident and continue rich family tradition on basketball court)

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This just shows a players senior season in high school is not always an indication of how they will perform in their freshman year in college. The two top ranked high school seniors in high school last season are not on your list and should not be. However, Dangerfield may become as big a factor to Uconn before this season ends as the other five are to their teams. I'm glad you listed Hebard. Ionescu gets most of the publicity but, Hebard may be just as good. I don't know of any names to add to your list. I saw Gondrezick's father, Glen, play in college.

Reaction Score
You know, I've been thinking that this has been a thin year for freshmen. I haven't seen a great crop of big stars across the country. Except for Joyner Holmes, doesn't appear that any freshman has really helped lead her team to the Big Time. Last year there was KLS, and, I think, Ogunbowale.

Have I got that wrong? Just seems as though there's been a void.

I think Joyner Holmes is the hands-down winner. Whatever the individual stats are for other players, Holmes has helped lead Texas to the second longest winning streak after UConn. And she and Texas just beat Baylor.

Slam dunk.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maryland's Slocum has done well, as has the players Plebe listed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
You know, I've been thinking that this has been a thin year for freshmen. I haven't seen a great crop of big stars across the country. Except for Joyner Holmes, doesn't appear that any freshman has really helped lead her team to the Big Time. Last year there was KLS, and, I think, Ogunbowale.

I think Joyner Holmes is the hands-down winner. Whatever the individual stats are for other players, Holmes has helped lead Texas to the second longest winning streak after UConn. And she and Texas just beat Baylor.

Slam dunk.

In view of the fact that last year's NFOY was Anigwe, who played on a team that wasn't even on the bubble of the NCAA tournament, it seems that playing on a "big time" team is not a hard-and-fast requirement.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Slam dunk.
Holmes is gonna be a monster.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Absolutely no argument from me regarding those 5.

Slocum seems to get a lot of attention. Deservingly so but I would vote for Holmes. I think she is valuable to her Texas team and I just like watching her play. My dark horse is Hebard. I didn't even know who she was until I saw her in the Mcdonalds AA game last year. She is a nice post player. Goes after every rebound and hits shots inside the paint. I've said many times on here, Kelly Graves will have Oregon relevant in a few more years.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Absolutely no argument from me regarding those 5.

Slocum seems to get a lot of attention. Deservingly so but I would vote for Holmes. I think she is valuable to her Texas team and I just like watching her play. My dark horse is Hebard. I didn't even know who she was until I saw her in the Mcdonalds AA game last year. She is a nice post player. Goes after every rebound and hits shots inside the paint. I've said many times on here, Kelly Graves will have Oregon relevant in a few more years.

Did Hebard actually play in the McDAA game? I didn't see the game, but she wasn't listed here: 2016 McDonald’s All American Games Boys And Girls Rosters - Alphabetical :: McDonald’s(R) All American Games – A Basketball Rite of Passage (TM)

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score

Plebe

Reaction Score
Doesn't appear. Which is the other one?? WBCA?? She was in one of them? I remember because I had to look her up!

In any event, I second your enthusiasm about Hebard. When I first tuned in to an Oregon game this season, I was most eager to watch Ionescu, the most prized recruit, and she certainly impressed me with her mature court awareness, leadership, and willingness to share the ball. But with each subsequent Oregon game I watched, I realized Hebard was just as critical to the Ducks' success as Ionescu is.

Reaction Score

Slocum is the PG on a top 5 team. To me that's probably more impressive than being the 4th-best player on the #1 team, which KLS was.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I sense that Ionescu, Holmes, and Slocum are the "glamour" choices and have attracted the most media attention. But Hebard and Gondrezick are every bit as deserving. Neither was picked as a McDonald's All-American last year, but hopefully they won't remain under the radar much longer:
  • The more I've watched Oregon (shout-out to the Pac-12 Network), the more impressed I've been by Hebard, not only for her production and efficiency but also for her composure and workmanlike demeanor. She is quickly filling the void left by the graduation of Jillian Alleyne, and she and Ionescu will be a formidable inside-outside duo for the next 3+ years. (Interesting trivia: Ruthy is from the frigid outpost known as Fairbanks, Alaska. A bit more on her background: Ruthy Hebard making early impact for Oregon Ducks)

• Kysre Gondrezick is emerging as an electric offensive player for Michigan. Her efficiency from 3-point range is astounding. Just tonight she posted a career-high 25 points at Purdue on 9-of-13 shooting, including 4-of-7 from 3. (Interesting trivia: Her older sister plays for Michigan State, her dad played in the NBA, and her mom played for Louisiana Tech's 1988 championship team. Also, the two sisters survived a horrific car accident in 2011: HoopGurlz -- Kalabrya Gondrezick and Kysre Gondrezick survive car accident and continue rich family tradition on basketball court)

Think this is a pretty solid list. I can add one or two players who might land on a 2nd or 3rd team, mainly because I've seen them play against the Irish.

• Jocelyn Willoughby moved right into the starting line-up for Virginia and has strongly contributed to the team's 15-8 record. She's a 6' guard, but is more of a foul line and in player offensively and helps a lot defensively and on the boards. She averages just under 10 ppg. In fact, she leads thee Wahoos with a 6.3 rpg. She's a little bit like combining ND's Jackie Young and Louisville's Miyasha Hines-Allen. Once she refines her game, she'll be a leading player in the ACC. Willoughby played for Newark Academy and was injured for most of her junior year, so she flew under the radar a bit and was not a Mickey D All-American.
  • Leaonna Odom was a McDonald's participant and I think she's started 13 or so of Duke's 24 games, averaging close of 8 pts per game. She rebounds well, both on the offensive and defensive boards. She kept a lot of offensive possessions going against ND with offensive boards. She has quick "first steps" which come in handy for offensive boards and loose balls. She'll continue to get there.
  • Kelly Campbell, a NJ shore conference players who led her team to the NJ tournament of Champions title, has stepped into the starting lineup of DePaul. Since them, DePaul has started to jell, with Campbell doing a bit of everything -- scoring just under 8 per game, grabbing more than 100 rebounds and having a solid share of assists. Solid, cerebral addition to a team that plays smart.

Once again, these three are not meant to displace Plebe's excellent Top 5, but worth bringing up.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
In any event, I second your enthusiasm about Hebard. When I first tuned in to an Oregon game this season, I was most eager to watch Ionescu, the most prized recruit, and she certainly impressed me with her mature court awareness, leadership, and willingness to share the ball. But with each subsequent Oregon game I watched, I realized Hebard was just as critical to the Ducks' success as Ionescu is.

I've watched all of the Oregon games this year, and Hebard has been exceptional for a freshman, and all the more so given the less-than-challenging players she must have mostly faced in Alaska. If she continues to develop as she has this year, she will be really really good!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Think this is a pretty solid list. I can add one or two players who might land on a 2nd or 3rd team, mainly because I've seen them play against the Irish.
  • Jocelyn Willoughby moved right into the starting line-up for Virginia and has strongly contributed to the team's 15-8 record. She's a 6' guard, but is more of a foul line and in player offensively and helps a lot defensively and on the boards. She averages just under 10 ppg. In fact, she leads thee Wahoos with a 6.3 rpg. She's a little bit like combining ND's Jackie Young and Louisville's Miyasha Hines-Allen. Once she refines her game, she'll be a leading player in the ACC. Willoughby played for Newark Academy and was injured for most of her junior year, so she flew under the radar a bit and was not a Mickey D All-American.
  • Leaonna Odom was a McDonald's participant and I think she's started 13 or so of Duke's 24 games, averaging close of 8 pts per game. She rebounds well, both on the offensive and defensive boards. She kept a lot of offensive possessions going against ND with offensive boards. She has quick "first steps" which come in handy for offensive boards and loose balls. She'll continue to get there.
  • Kelly Campbell, a NJ shore conference players who led her team to the NJ tournament of Champions title, has stepped into the starting lineup of DePaul. Since them, DePaul has started to jell, with Campbell doing a bit of everything -- scoring just under 8 per game, grabbing more than 100 rebounds and having a solid share of assists. Solid, cerebral addition to a team that plays smart.
Once again, these three are not meant to displace Plebe's excellent Top 5, but worth bringing up.

Thanks for adding these comments. I actually did start to draft a 2nd and 3rd all-freshman team (and/or honorable mentions), but I was getting bogged down with all the choices after settling on my top 5. Willoughby, Odom, and Campbell were definitely on my radar, and here were some of my other main candidates for 2nd team:
  • Kaila Charles, Maryland (9.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg: 4th and 2nd on her team, respectively)
  • Minyon Moore, Southern Cal (10.6 ppg, 4.3 assists pg, 2.22 steals pg)
  • Brandi Beasley, Illinois (13.2 ppg, 4.0 apg)
  • Gadiva Hubbard, Minnesota (13.4 ppg, 2.5 apg)
  • Reili Richardson, Arizona State (8.2 ppg, 4.0 apg, 83% FT, 2.27 a/to)
  • Becca Hittner, Drake (11.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 50.4% FG, 50.0% 3FG)
  • Aarion McDonald, Washington (9.6 ppg, 49.2% FG)
  • Taryn McCutcheon, Michigan State (7.4 ppg, 40.0% 3FG, 5.1 apg)
  • Katie Benzan, Harvard (12.6 ppg, 4.0 apg, 93.3% FT)
  • Jeannie Boehm, Harvard, (7.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.58 blocks per game: 17th in the nation in bpg)
  • Francesca Pan, Georgia Tech (9.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg)
  • Dominique Toussaint, Virginia (9.6 ppg, 2.8 apg)
  • Kayla Overbeck, Vanderbilt (10.4 ppg, 7.5 rpg)
  • Jordan Lewis, Alabama (9.8 ppg, 4.0 apg)
And of course I also considered players who play relatively less weighty roles but on much stronger teams, such as Jackie Young, Erin Boley, Lauren Cox, Tyasha Harris, and Crystal Dangerfield. You can probably see why I gave up after deciding the first 5. :confused:

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for adding these comments. I actually did start to draft a 2nd and 3rd all-freshman team (and/or honorable mentions), but I was getting bogged down with all the choices after settling on my top 5. Willoughby, Odom, and Campbell were definitely on my radar, and here were some of my other main candidates for 2nd team:
  • Kaila Charles, Maryland (9.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg: 4th and 2nd on her team, respectively)
  • Minyon Moore, Southern Cal (10.6 ppg, 4.3 assists pg, 2.22 steals pg)
  • Brandi Beasley, Illinois (13.2 ppg, 4.0 apg)
  • Gadiva Hubbard, Minnesota (13.4 ppg, 2.5 apg)
  • Reili Richardson, Arizona State (8.2 ppg, 4.0 apg, 83% FT, 2.27 a/to)
  • Becca Hittner, Drake (11.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 50.4% FG, 50.0% 3FG)
  • Aarion McDonald, Washington (9.6 ppg, 49.2% FG)
  • Taryn McCutcheon, Michigan State (7.4 ppg, 40.0% 3FG, 5.1 apg)
  • Katie Benzan, Harvard (12.6 ppg, 4.0 apg, 93.3% FT)
  • Jeannie Boehm, Harvard, (7.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.58 blocks per game: 17th in the nation in bpg)
  • Francesca Pan, Georgia Tech (9.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg)
  • Dominique Toussaint, Virginia (9.6 ppg, 2.8 apg)
  • Kayla Overbeck, Vanderbilt (10.4 ppg, 7.5 rpg)
  • Jordan Lewis, Alabama (9.8 ppg, 4.0 apg)
And of course I also considered players who play relatively less weighty roles but on much stronger teams, such as Jackie Young, Erin Boley, Lauren Cox, Tyasha Harris, and Crystal Dangerfield. You can probably see why I gave up after deciding the first 5. :confused:

Yes, I think you took the prudent course ;).

- Kaila Charles impressed me the two times I saw her, particularly on the boards. Those two frosh are playing well and after their two top seniors graduate, more of that huge class will get opportunities next year.
- Mallory McGwire of Oregon has been coming on lately. She's got a nice spot-up jumper from the line/elbow. Gives the Ducks some nice depth, along with Hebard. Expect Ionescu to expand her role in years to come. Another loaded class.
- Toussaint keeps her head in the game. Joanne Boyle has a pretty good class there, too.

I suspect we'll continue to hear more from Boley, Cox, Dangerfield, Harris & Young.

Once again, thanks for doing this...good macro-check on the Class of 2016.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think this is the weakest crop of freshmen we've seen in quite some time. The only real standout is Holmes, and possibly Slocum/Ionescu. Over the last 5-6 years we've had:

2015-16: Jessica Shephard, Kristine Anigwe, Asia Durr all as standouts. Ogunbowale/Mabrey were high level impact players from the get go. Not to mention KLS and Baylor's two phenomenal posts.

2014-15: A'ja Wilson/Kelsey Mitchell/Brianna Turner were All American caliber players as freshmen. Kia Nurse was also rock solid as a freshman.

2013-14: Diamond Deshields/Stephanie Mavunga/Allisha Gray were outstanding. Kaela Davis was a huge scorer as a rookie, Lexie Brown led her team to the Final Four, Lindsay Allen was the starting PG on a 37-1 team. Zahui B was a big impact player at Minnesota.

2012-13: Stewart/Loyd/Graves were all major standouts.

2011-12: KML/Williams were huge impact players as freshmen. Banham was also a standout.

2010-11: Sims/Alyssa Thomas/Chiney Ogwumike were standouts. Not to mention Hartley/Dolson

2009-10: Delle Donne/Griner/Diggins

Reaction Score
I think Holmes of Texas will win it.
Slocum from Maryland right behind.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
If Sabrina Ionescu does not win freshman of the year something is really wrong
She is the most complete player of the lot..
Do you guys realize how difficult it is to get 1) triple double, further more (3)
It's not like her averages by itself isn't up there with the others but when you add the triple doubles that's it folks...

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
I would be interested to hear from some our west coast friends on Minyon Moore!

She is an electric PG. I'm surprised JW didn't try and use her sister to sway her to Louisville.

She is quick, can lead, good handles and can score when needed.

She wasn't really highly ranked coming out of high school. Not sure why. She is easily one of the top 50 freshman this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think this is the weakest crop of freshmen we've seen in quite some time. The only real standout is Holmes, and possibly Slocum/Ionescu. Over the last 5-6 years we've had:

2015-16: Jessica Shephard, Kristine Anigwe, Asia Durr all as standouts. Ogunbowale/Mabrey were high level impact players from the get go. Not to mention KLS and Baylor's two phenomenal posts.

2014-15: A'ja Wilson/Kelsey Mitchell/Brianna Turner were All American caliber players as freshmen. Kia Nurse was also rock solid as a freshman.

2013-14: Diamond Deshields/Stephanie Mavunga/Allisha Gray were outstanding. Kaela Davis was a huge scorer as a rookie, Lexie Brown led her team to the Final Four, Lindsay Allen was the starting PG on a 37-1 team. Zahui B was a big impact player at Minnesota.

2012-13: Stewart/Loyd/Graves were all major standouts.

2011-12: KML/Williams were huge impact players as freshmen. Banham was also a standout.

2010-11: Sims/Alyssa Thomas/Chiney Ogwumike were standouts. Not to mention Hartley/Dolson

2009-10: Delle Donne/Griner/Diggins

A few more in 2014-15. Azura Stevens averaged 14 and 8 that season. Rebecca Greenwell tossed in 14pts and 5.5 rebounds as a guard.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm surprised the Ohio St.coach didn't try to hire Minyon's dad.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the thread! I learned a lot. I wasn't familiar with Hebard.

So, Gondrezick is shooting 48% from outside the arc and about 40% inside the arc? That's interesting.

A few more thoughts:

I like Kaila Charles. Maybe it's her last name or her D.C. background.

No one mentioned Lauren Cox. When will she step up? Next year? Never? I think it will happen.

In 1-3 years, I'd take Dangerfield over any of them.

There was a good frosh in 2007-08, the only newbie to finish second in the AP POY voting. Maya was a consensus/unanimous AA for her entire career. I believe she shattered Rebecca's record for BE FOW selections. I still believe that the award should now bear her name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom