The Expansion Rumor of this hour | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Expansion Rumor of this hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
uh, the big east currently has the best basketball league in the nation. of the reasons for a potential acc move, finding better basketball is absolutely not one of them. the acc currently consists of duke, unc, and a bunch of mediocre programs.

Let me clarify- UConn wouldn't be the only BE school going to the ACC if that did happen, so throw SU and maybe a PITT into the ACC and you have the best conference BY FAR in the nation.
No one doubts that the BE is the best basketball in the country as currently constituted, but don't we all keep talking about how there will eventually be a split from the bball only schools in the coming years? If that is indeed the case I would still take the ACC with us, SU and Pitt rather than the football onlys and KU plus garbage.
In terms of football: UConn in the ACC would be a better FOOTBALL league than the BE, even with the addition of the B12 schools.

Reaction Score
Let me clarify- UConn wouldn't be the only BE school going to the ACC if that did happen, so throw SU and maybe a PITT into the ACC and you have the best conference BY FAR in the nation.
No one doubts that the BE is the best basketball in the country as currently constituted, but don't we all keep talking about how there will eventually be a split from the bball only schools in the coming years? If that is indeed the case I would still take the ACC with us, SU and Pitt rather than the football onlys and KU plus garbage.
In terms of football: UConn in the ACC would be a better FOOTBALL league than the BE, even with the addition of the B12 schools.

Since ACC is locked into their TV deal for the next 12 years, there will be no ACC expansion unless they are forced or lose members. We can put that ACC train on hold until 12 years from now. We better fix our house.

Aslo, BE is comparable to ACC football now. BE with B12 schools could certainly surpass ACC in football easily. ACC will have FSU and VTECH. Miami, UNC and GTECH gonna drop off number of years due to NCAA violations.

Reaction Score
You think? ISU is bad, KU had one good season a few years back but nothing since, Baylor is ehh and Kansas State isn't anything to be excited about.

Not trying to start a fight, just curious as to how our football would improve with B12 additions.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
sec-aTm/VT/NCST/Mizzu
pac-tt/ok/okst/tex or if they go indy than baylor or another school
b12 stays together somehow, maybe byu/tcu/uh/smu/latech/wy combo or something...w/e
b1g10 stays put, will wait for ever for nd, kan/kst/ist hoping for it one day.

BE and acc teams start taking lookin for a legit bball and stable fball league without some of the prob childs. some behind the back crap lata and wala...
pilgrims-rutty/clemson/md/uconn/unc/usf/lville
indians-uva/wvu/pitt/cuse/duke/fsu/gt

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I would too, and I think in less than a generation we would be equally competitive with anyone and everyone who maintains similar entrance and academic requirements. I don't think anyone will ever be able to compete with the SEC for that reason, but the BiG Ten/whatever? We could compete with them in time.

The SEC has higher requirements for initial eligibility than the Big East does currently. You either compete with everyone, or you don't, but it is pretty weak to make excuses about academics.

Reaction Score
Baylor KU and KSU all make sense for the Big East if the Big 12 implodes... They bring not only good football but good basketball as well... no? At least Baylor's academic prowess cannot be denied...
No argument there, but that would make the Big East too large IMO. If that happens then maybe the football schools form their own conf (a good thing for UCONN IMO) and the basketball only schools add a few more and call it the Big East Basketball conf.

Reaction Score
I don't think excuses are being made. There is some correlation between admissions standards/academics and team success in football because of the large number of athletes required. See: Vanderbilt, Duke. There are some exceptions sometimes: Stanford, Northwestern. I don't know where to put Notre Dame nowadays. I think they still require calculus for everyone and that can be a deal breaker for some athletes. I know from my son that the list of some courses for football players at Tennessee could have been taken from the back of a comic book.

Reaction Score
You think? ISU is bad, KU had one good season a few years back but nothing since, Baylor is ehh and Kansas State isn't anything to be excited about.

Not trying to start a fight, just curious as to how our football would improve with B12 additions.

We'd be locked into the BCS. That's how.

I also think you're underselling Kansas St. football. They used to travel zillions of fans. They would instantly be the 1st or 2nd biggest traveling base (with WVU) for the BE.

Reaction Score
I don't think excuses are being made. There is some correlation between admissions standards/academics and team success in football because of the large number of athletes required. See: Vanderbilt, Duke. There are some exceptions sometimes: Stanford, Northwestern. I don't know where to put Notre Dame nowadays. I think they still require calculus for everyone and that can be a deal breaker for some athletes. I know from my son that the list of some courses for football players at Tennessee could have been taken from the back of a comic book.

Northwestern, of course, used to be the basketcase of college football. They had the record for most consecutive losses at one point.

Reaction Score
Just from a geographic standpoint I would rather take Baylor than ISU. If the BE is going to continue to expand westward keep it in Texas and Kansas. Baylor/TCU would be natural rivals and easy paired up games for other sports, as would Kansas/K. State. There has to be a certain amount of logistics involved in this decision and ISU would just be an awful "fit" for even a newly designed conference. Two in Texas (TCU and Baylor), two in Kansas and if a 5th is necessary add either Houston or UCF as both would fit nicely into the new conference.

Reaction Score
I care about where UConn ends up, not anyone else. However, I do have some sympathy for ISU and do not blame Baylor for signing their rights away with the Big 12/SEC. Between the two Baylor is the choice only because they are in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom