The Expansion Rumor of this hour | The Boneyard

The Expansion Rumor of this hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The rumors out there now are that Baylor is confident that they will get a spot in the Big East if the Big 12 dissolves.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31816105

I wonder if their lawsuit was just a way to get their ducks in order and to make sure they end up in a BCS conference...which if they now have assurances, they will let aTm go without a fight.

I am guessing that Baylor realized that if the SEC took WVU instead of Missouri as team #14, they were screwed. So they are working on a deal now that will allow aTm go the the SEC with Missouri, and then have themselves, Kansas, and Kansas St all go to the Big East. You would actually have some good natural pairings in the Big East Western Division in that case (TCU-Baylor, Kansas-Kansas St, Louisville-Cincinnati).

Although, I still contend that the Big Ten is much too quiet and must be working on something behind the scenes. We have heard plenty from the SEC, Big 12, and Pac10. There is no way that the Big Ten will sit back and let the other conferences act first. The Big Ten is much too quiet at this point. I expect them to drop a bomb soon with something like the addition of Notre Dame, Texas, Missouri, and Oklahoma (or some similar power pact of schools). Something is brewing behind the scenes that is going to take everyone for a turn...mark my words.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about the Big Ten. They do things in their own way. remember when they were going to be taking Rutgers/Suracuse/Pitt/Missouri/Texas/whoever because they wanted to get into one or another market with the BTN. What did they do? Added Nebraska...which brings no direct market of its own but a long resume of football accomplishment. In some ways the B-10 is the college football's version of the big banks. Doesn't matter what goes on around them. they'll be fine. The SEC may have better football and even make a little more money, but they'll never be viewed as the Big 10's equal. Too grubby. Given that, I am not so sure the Big 10 feels the same need to keep up with the Jones that the SEC/PAC do. That is the one confernece that can by choice see how things work out. If the 16 team model works, they can add a bunch of teams. If it doesn't they are in fine shape going forward.

Reaction Score
here's praying for armegeddon if Baylor is a possibility for the BE.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i rather play a school from north car than baylor...

Reaction Score
Let's say Texas Aggies and Mizzou to the SEC and Texas and Texas Tech to the Pac Ten. ACC and Big Ten probably do nothing. Big East adds Kansas and Kansas State and now has to add a 12th.

Baylor is a possibility, but if we want a second Texas team is Baylor better than Houston? Is UCF better than either? Is Nova back in play.

My head hurts. I'll be happy when we take the field so I can talk football again.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have a state school like I.S.U.. Still Baylor does guarantee a larger conference footprint in the Lonestar State.

Reaction Score
In the situation of Baylor or else, if Houston can have a big year this year and get into a BCS bowl game and steal a win, they become a candidate. In either case, the option for team 12 at that point would be not the best.

Reaction Score
Baylor KU and KSU all make sense for the Big East if the Big 12 implodes... They bring not only good football but good basketball as well... no? At least Baylor's academic prowess cannot be denied...

Reaction Score
Right now if BE can add more BCS programs to the mix it would be a good idea. Let's hope SEC takes Missouri for the 14th. Missouri makes too much sense vs. WVU. Also, it would be better for the BE to have WVU stay.

If KU, KSU, Baylor and ISU are available, I say we add all 3 to go to 13 and then add either Houston of UCF. If we got Baylor, we can add UCF. I personally would like to get Houston over Baylor, but the other B12 schools might insist on Baylor coming along. This will give BE 14 teams to match SEC's 14. It will solidify the Texas and FLA footprint for the BE. I think this new conference would get a nice TV deal.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'd rather have a state school like I.S.U.. Still Baylor does guarantee a larger conference footprint in the Lonestar State.

Baylor is a school on the rise, and one that has a bunch of money to improve. They would be a much better asset than ISU, IMO.

Reaction Score
Right now if BE can add more BCS programs to the mix it would be a good idea. Let's hope SEC takes Missouri for the 14th. Missouri makes too much sense vs. WVU. Also, it would be better for the BE to have WVU stay.

If KU, KSU, Baylor and ISU are available, I say we add all 3 to go to 13 and then add either Houston of UCF. If we got Baylor, we can add UCF. I personally would like to get Houston over Baylor, but the other B12 schools might insist on Baylor coming along. This will give BE 14 teams to match SEC's 14. It will solidify the Texas and FLA footprint for the BE. I think this new conference would get a nice TV deal.

So, essentially, the next TV deal for the BE will be so watered down that every team in the conference will have maximal incentive to split as soon as someone offers it a few more dollars?

Because that's the upshot of adding all those teams.

If the BE could add just Kansas and call it a day, I would sign up immediately. In fact, if this were happening two years ago, I'd be saying no to TCU for precisely this reason. Now adding TCU, in hindsight, seems a mistake if Kansas is about to join.

10 teams = more $$
12 teams is OK = spreading a bit thin
14 teams = get me outta here!

Reaction Score
...and furthermore, Baylor better hope that if Oklahoma stays, it's permanent, because if Okie gets itchy feet next season, after TCU becomes a voting member of the BE, then what will Baylor expect?

Remember, Baylor used its political connections to freeze out TCU 20 years ago and it almost sent the school careening out of big time football altogether. In a year, the shoe will be on the other foot. Let's see how TCU plays it.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There was a rumor out there a month or so ago that the commisioners of the Big East, ACC, and Big 12 all got together for a secret meeting. You have to wonder if they made a pact with each other that they will not attack themselves and will instead work together to make sure all teams land in a good place (BCS conference). The teams involved would be the Big East teams, the ACC teams, and the 5 Big12 'outsiders' (Baylor, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St.).

Could they all be negotiating their deals behind closed doors as we speak together? It doesn't seem realistic that these competitors would work together (especially given the history with the ACC and BE), but nothing is off the table in these crazy realignment scenarios. Who knows?

Reaction Score
upstater, aren't both Baylor and TCU ostensibly guided by Christian principals of one sort or another? Given that shouldn't we expect TCU to let bygones be bygones?

Reaction Score
So, essentially, the next TV deal for the BE will be so watered down that every team in the conference will have maximal incentive to split as soon as someone offers it a few more dollars?

Because that's the upshot of adding all those teams.

If the BE could add just Kansas and call it a day, I would sign up immediately. In fact, if this were happening two years ago, I'd be saying no to TCU for precisely this reason. Now adding TCU, in hindsight, seems a mistake if Kansas is about to join.

10 teams = more $$
12 teams is OK = spreading a bit thin
14 teams = get me outta here!
I don't think the analysis is that cut and dried. I think there is some benefit to having more inventory, which at least 12 schools gets you. then you need to figure in markets and market share and so forth. So it isn't like 10 teams gets you $10 per team, 12 gets you $8.33 and 14 gets you $$7.14. If you have 12 you might actually earn more per team because you have more inventory. If you have the right 12, say you were somehow able to make a significant penetration into both the Dallas and the Philedelphia markets, you might end up with a significant increase over 10.

Reaction Score
I don't think the analysis is that cut and dried. I think there is some benefit to having more inventory, which at least 12 schools gets you. then you need to figure in markets and market share and so forth. So it isn't like 10 teams gets you $10 per team, 12 gets you $8.33 and 14 gets you $$7.14. If you have 12 you might actually earn more per team because you have more inventory. If you have the right 12, say you were somehow able to make a significant penetration into both the Dallas and the Philedelphia markets, you might end up with a significant increase over 10.

I thought we were ta;king about Baylor.

Reaction Score
Today, more inventory is better than less inventory, per capita, everything being equal (whether I'll ever understand that or not). Having said that, if the expansion of inventory causes dilution of product, you can still step backwards.

Unless the Big East is taking ACC teams, I only want to go to 12. Beyond that will have little purpose.

Reaction Score
I don't want both Kansas and Kansas State...only one of the two and preferably KU

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Allen Iverson - we're talking about Waco here. WA-CO. Not Dallas, not Houston, not Austin or San Antonio. Waco.

Reaction Score
Today, more inventory is better than less inventory, per capital, everything being equal (whether I'll ever understand that or not). Having said that, if the expansion of inventory causes dilution of product, you can still step backwards.

Unless the Big East is taking ACC teams, I only want to go to 12. Beyond that will have little purpose.

I agree with this. KU, KSU, and Mizzou would be solid additions to get to 12. Though Mizzou might mean WVU leaving, so who knows on that front. Beyond that is where we get into murky territory of diluted product. If MU goes to the SEC and we have to take a Baylor-esque team to get to 12, fine. But anymore beyond 12 of the Iowa State's and UCF's of the world, no. Use those 12 to leverage a big TV deal and use that TV deal to leverage other teams down the road.

And for the love of Kevin Dineen, get rid of PC, SHU, Depaul, and Marquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom