The evolution of the blue bloods | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The evolution of the blue bloods

Reaction Score
It probably would, which is stupid. However, Duke's titles have all come since the 90's as well. But they had FF's in prior decades

Outside of the bad Ollie years, our down years weren't terrible. We made the tourney almost every year for a 25 year stretch starting in the 90's. It looks like we will be a mainstay in the tournament for a loooong time with Hurley. People will forget about the 2017-2019 stretch when we win our 5th title in the next few years.
From 2010-2021 the team had 5 NCAA appearances total. Two of them were titles, amazingly, but there was 1 win combined in the other 3 coming out of 8/9 and 7/10 games. There were multiple sub-.500 seasons.

In that same stretch in Duke has 2 titles as well, and missed the tournament once. They had 3 other Elite 8s, and 2 S16s. They had 4 1-seeds, 4-seeds, a 3 and a 4.

When people don't talk about Duke not winning an ACC regular season title, is because it doesn't point toward any greater decline in the program. That's just not the case of UConn with regards to its relative lack of regular season conference titles.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think if we win number 5, it’ll be unquestioned. But I also think the blue bloods are the programs no sane person makes an argument against, and you can reasonably make a case against us.

Reaction Score
I actually don’t think Duke is a blue blood. The blue bloods are as follows:

UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA.

It’s not about winning so much as it is about being foundational to the history of the sport.
That's the only reason to include Indiana on the list as a blue blood.

Reaction Score
UConn will never be a blue blood. It's the same as Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and Elon Musk will never be old money like the Vanderbilts and the Rockefellers, but I'm sure they don't stay up nights worrying about it.
Never, eh? You just named the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts. The same 2 families that were specifically singled out in an HBO show this week as being new money, they'll never be bluebloods, the show takes place in 1882.

Reaction Score
We are a 21st century blue blood. With the bluest of blood.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I don’t want us to be a blue blood. While I respect that group, they (at one time) had everyone in the nation expecting them to win/compete for titles year after year. Our program isn’t as much about expectations, as it is about possibilities. We rally against the odds & have that “us against the world” mentality. Blue bloods don’t have that.

We’ve beaten many of them on our way to 4 championships. If anything, UConn is a slayer of blue bloods. Personally, I like that better.

Reaction Score
Why not UConn...lack of history prior to the 90's? I think 1 more Title UConn joins no doubters.

Just UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana in your opinion? Those 6 are absolute blue bloods , Indiana has been shaky lately but history keeps them at #6 ....followed UConn, Nova, Mich State, Louisville. Nobody else in conversation if not including UConn. Personally I think 3 Titles are the minimum to be considered.
With at least one within this generation. Sorry IU. UCLA and Kentucky are the only no doubt teams. We should be given the monicker of (American flag) blue blood and move on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom