The Evina Factor | The Boneyard

The Evina Factor

Reaction Score
No one else in the country has a versatile player like Evina coming off the bench to score, run the offense, stabilize the team, steal, rebound, and play great defense. In a very real sense, it is almost as though she has been pacing herself all season, making sure she was there for the team, holding it all together, coming off the bench, making everyone better with her passing and floor directions and playing solid defense. There were times she was disappointing, times she was exhilarating, but always you had a sense that there was a lot more than what we were seeing. She had a great amount of pressure on her this year through all the injuries, sickness, 6 man rotations, and a personal loss as well.

But that was then and this is now. This is her time, senior time. We said all along that it would be a two year turnaround for her to be fully back or at least almost fully back from her injuries and there was a palpable reticence to shoot, to drive, and even to pull up during the season this year at times. Then there was the regular season game against Marquette with 17 points, 5 boards and 3 steals in 21 minutes followed by a game in which she didn't shoot once. We were scratching our heads.

The Marquette game was different though not just for her stats. There was a new fifth gear to her and it continued in both the semis and finals of the BET. She was the leading scorer in both games off the bench, tied for most assists combined in those two games and played a combined total of 17 minutes less than CW and 22 minutes less than AE in those two games. More importantly, the afterburners got turned on. Her drives, coast to coast or in half court, were faster, sharper, and with a nose for the basket. Her pull ups were clean, almost fully vertical, and her defense was energetic and her switches were quick and exact.

When she comes in the game, there is an instant stability. She sets the offense, finds the open man, and makes everyone move. And now, it's something more. A confident scorer who drove, posted up, pulled up and shot the 3 against Nova all the while looking to make that great pass. Yes, she is a factor, not just a player, but a game changer. It's her time finally to show both her leadership and her talent and she knows it. She will be on the floor at the end of every game from here on in just as she was against Nova, doing her job, and playing the best college basketball of her career at exactly the right time for her team. Maybe, just maybe, she really was pacing herself, waiting for when it matters most, becoming the factor that finishes that unfinished business.

Reaction Score
I love it! E has embraced every role on this team this season and with her being on that 2nd unit, especially how it looks over the last few games with her, Dorka, and Paige coming off the bench, this is a lethal bench. Evina has been on fire lately. A lot of folks will say that she doesn't shoot enough. Okay. That is always debatable. What is the key, for me is, what are you doing besides shooting? Evina has that high basketball IQ to see who is on the court with her and is cool with getting them looks first. She will focus on defense and rebounding. Love it! With E coming off the bench against other teams 2nd unit, I love our chances.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No one else in the country has a versatile player like Evina coming off the bench to score, run the offense, stabilize the team, steal, rebound, and play great defense. In a very real sense, it is almost as though she has been pacing herself all season, making sure she was there for the team, holding it all together, coming off the bench, making everyone better with her passing and floor directions and playing solid defense. There were times she was disappointing, times she was exhilarating, but always you had a sense that there was a lot more than what we were seeing. She had a great amount of pressure on her this year through all the injuries, sickness, 6 man rotations, and a personal loss as well.

But that was then and this is now. This is her time, senior time. We said all along that it would be a two year turnaround for her to be fully back or at least almost fully back from her injuries and there was a palpable reticence to shoot, to drive, and even to pull up during the season this year at times. Then there was the regular season game against Marquette with 17 points, 5 boards and 3 steals in 21 minutes followed by a game in which she didn't shoot once. We were scratching our heads.

The Marquette game was different though not just for her stats. There was a new fifth gear to her and it continued in both the semis and finals of the BET. She was the leading scorer in both games off the bench, tied for most assists combined in those two games and played a combined total of 17 minutes less than CW and 22 minutes less than AE in those two games. More importantly, the afterburners got turned on. Her drives, coast to coast or in half court, were faster, sharper, and with a nose for the basket. Her pull ups were clean, almost fully vertical, and her defense was energetic and her switches were quick and exact.

When she comes in the game, there is an instant stability. She sets the offense, finds the open man, and makes everyone move. And now, it's something more. A confident scorer who drove, posted up, pulled up and shot the 3 against Nova all the while looking to make that great pass. Yes, she is a factor, not just a player, but a game changer. It's her time finally to show both her leadership and her talent and she knows it. She will be on the floor at the end of every game from here on in just as she was against Nova, doing her job, and playing the best college basketball of her career at exactly the right time for her team. Maybe, just maybe, she really was pacing herself, waiting for when it matters most, becoming the factor that finishes that unfinished business.
I will tell you, against Villanova was the first time in a long time that Evina seem to be enjoying herself. That’s a good thing.

There’s a lot of reasons why I route for UConn and I always want the team to do well, but giving the seniors a championship, particularly Evina, would be particularly satisfying this year

Reaction Score
Completely on point. Mamma E is the perfect counterpoint for Nika Muhl in the Huskies' rotation. She's the one we all want to hear from in the pre and post game press interviews. Selflessly came back one more year to make sure the Huskies have everything needed to take care of "unfinished business". Truly the heart and soul of this great team!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looking back, I’m glad she didn’t coming in when Walker did. E might be gone now had she come in with her friend. Things happened as they should’ve.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
A learning lesson for me: I was skeptical about her transferring because of all the baggage related to her time in Tennessee.

Now, my loudest whoops are when she nails a 3 or out jukes a defender on her way to a lay up.

In hindsight, how awful it must have been for her at Rocky Top.

Regardless of how the NCAAT ends up, I’m grateful she’s had this positive year in Storrs.

Reaction Score
On senior day, as she was getting ready to be introduced, the announcer mentioned she was the "Team Mom", and wow, did she ever choke up.....and I did too...! Such a solid all around player, I just love her.

Reaction Score

I expected her to be named MOP for the BET. But there might be another opportunity for such an award, at the upcoming regional.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I expected her to be named MOP for the BET. But there might be another opportunity for such an award, at the upcoming regional.
I agree, as both hubby and I were saying either Evina or CW and that both would be deserving for different reasons. And although I was curious about her wanting to leave TN and come to CT, it was apparent from day 1 that she was all in, and her family was all in also, based on the pics with everyone wearing UConn gear. During her redshirt year, she was always supportive from the bench. The thing that got me though?

Seeing a post from Senior night on instagram with this: Changed my life forever. Thank you

Reaction Score
I love it! E has embraced every role on this team this season and with her being on that 2nd unit, especially how it looks over the last few games with her, Dorka, and Paige coming off the bench, this is a lethal bench. Evina has been on fire lately. A lot of folks will say that she doesn't shoot enough. Okay. That is always debatable. What is the key, for me is, what are you doing besides shooting? Evina has that high basketball IQ to see who is on the court with her and is cool with getting them looks first. She will focus on defense and rebounding. Love it! With E coming off the bench against other teams 2nd unit, I love our chances.
Me thinks the "2nd unit" provides more firepower than the "1st unit"!

Reaction Score
Hats off to E. A true leader and the best team player. After Paige's early season injury, she stepped up and played out of position to help the team. Then Geno took her out of the starting position and the move clearly stabilized the team. However this hurt E's standing in the WNBA mock draft. Hopefully UConn goes deep into the NCAA tournament and E has the chance showcase her skills and prove her doubters wrong. Go E!

Reaction Score
. However this hurt E's standing in the WNBA mock draft.
Did it? I thought I read somewhere - a few weeks ago she was the only 1st round draft pick from UCONN that was being projected?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom