The ESPN Miss St UConn Commercial | The Boneyard

The ESPN Miss St UConn Commercial

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I found this and don't think it has been put up? Apologies if it has.

"Napheesa Collier had a feeling the first thing on the NCAA tournament Selection Show would be the last thing she'd want to see again: Morgan William's buzzer-beater that lifted Mississippi State past the University of Connecticut women's basketball team at the 2017 Final Four and ended the Huskies' 111-game winning streak and their four-year reign as national champion.

"I guess we'll see it a lot through the end of our season," Collier said with a sigh.

"As Selection Show veterans, the Huskies were somewhat subdued as the pairings were announced according to coach Geno Auriemma with one exception.

"They were animated during the highlights," Auriemma said. "They were counting how many times they showed Mississippi State beating us. They were getting a kick out of that. They lost track how many times. Mississippi State got more attention for beating us than South Carolina got for winning the national championship, which is crazy."

Road to Final Four takes No. 1 Huskies through Storrs, Albany

Again, if I missed it, sorry. Mods can nuke this.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Well, it could have been worse. There’s that horrible beer commercial with (Sir) Jackie Stewart and the whiney howling music, yelping about being a hero. Geez, that ad stinks. Sends me reaching for the mute button.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I hope they are reminded as often as ESPN makes it. Fuel for the fire.

A team that doesn't want to experience it twice. Watch out!

They will only use it as motivation

Reaction Score
Well, it could have been worse. There’s that horrible beer commercial with (Sir) Jackie Stewart and the whiney howling music, yelping about being a hero. Geez, that ad stinks. Sends me reaching for the mute button.

Worst than this?

upload_2018-3-14_7-14-2.png

Reaction Score

Not as bad as the Mountain Dew/Danny McBride commercial they constantly play. I'm a huge McBride fan but that commercial makes me want to throw my remote through my TV!

Reaction Score
Not as bad as the Mountain Dew/Danny McBride commercial they constantly play. I'm a huge McBride fan but that commercial makes me want to throw my remote through my TV!
Now I know the answer to the question everyone was asking: Who's the dude in that Godawful Mountain Dew commercial. Next question: Who the hell is Danny McBride?

HGN

Reaction Score

"Napheesa Collier had a feeling the first thing on the NCAA tournament Selection Show would be the last thing she'd want to see again: Morgan William's buzzer-beater that lifted Mississippi State past the University of Connecticut women's basketball team at the 2017 Final Four and ended the Huskies' 111-game winning streak and their four-year reign as national champion.

"I guess we'll see it a lot through the end of our season," Collier said with a sigh.

"As Selection Show veterans, the Huskies were somewhat subdued as the pairings were announced according to coach Geno Auriemma with one exception.

"They were animated during the highlights," Auriemma said. "They were counting how many times they showed Mississippi State beating us. They were getting a kick out of that. They lost track how many times. Mississippi State got more attention for beating us than South Carolina got for winning the national championship, which is crazy."

Rocky, I am not sure whether that Mississippi State beating UConn commercial , (which is shown repeatedly) , is meant to inspire Mississippi State , UConn , or the viewing public.
But one thing is becoming obvious , its certainly inspiring the UConn team and its fans.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Rocky, I am not sure whether that Mississippi State beating UConn commercial , (which is shown repeatedly) , is meant to inspire Mississippi State , UConn , or the viewing public.
But one thing is becoming obvious , its certainly inspiring the UConn team and its fans.
I think it's meant to increase viewers by inspiring hope in 63 teams (and determination in one). All it says is anything can happen.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Gabby is the only one who really has a right to be pissed about that. She gave her heart and soul that night and collapsed down from exhaustion.

Everyone else played scared.

This core now has meaningful FF experience. That shouldn't happen again.

But they should've buried Miss St last year (frankly based on the numbers in the 538 article mentioned in another thread, it should happen again). So who knows what happens this year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of my favorites on now. Great song. Cool cover.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the link. A great article. But if you scroll down there's also a video of Sue Bird being interviewed for a program called "Atheletes Appetites". She talks about a lot of things from Geno to playing in Russia. It's well worth checking out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope they are reminded as often as ESPN makes it. Fuel for the fire.

A team that doesn't want to experience it twice. Watch out!

They will only use it as motivation

An argument can be made that it just keeps tightening the tension.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hey, maybe we could steal the OP's thread (;)) and turn it into a music thread about sports and stuff? For example:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For whom? You or them? Lmaooo:p

Very perceptive. I see many of us, and I'm one of the "worst" going bonkers over maybe adding Ezi to next year's class as a manifestation of the tension we've felt every time a decent bib big is on the other team. Look at the threads discusssing our biggest foes. And what did Gabby say about Z being able to play this year? You know, when she thought last fall Z was the real center she is becoming.

Reaction Score
It's one thing when you're THAT TEAM. The team that all others circle on the calendar. The team that, on Selection Sunday, all others say, "I hope we're not in THAT TEAM's bracket." It's quite another thing when you're the team that THAT TEAM circles on its calendar. So, congratulations to Miss. St., you're sure to have our full attention.

Reaction Score
Gabby is the only one who really has a right to be pissed about that. She gave her heart and soul that night and collapsed down from exhaustion.

Everyone else played scared.

This core now has meaningful FF experience. That shouldn't happen again.

But they should've buried Miss St last year (frankly based on the numbers in the 538 article mentioned in another thread, it should happen again). So who knows what happens this year.
I agree about Gabby 100% but Lou also showed up, shot 50% and showed grit. Definitely not her best game, but again showed up and competed.

I also think those two seemed the most pissed off about it. At the end, I look for those two to lead when the tougher competition starts.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I agree about Gabby 100% but Lou also showed up, shot 50% and showed grit. Definitely not her best game, but again showed up and competed.

I also think those two seemed the most pissed off about it. At the end, I look for those two to lead when the tougher competition starts.

My biggest complaint about Lou was she just shoot around most of the game on offense.

Her defender barley had to love for large portions of the game.

Kia and Chong just had awful games defensively. Girls were blowing by them like they were standing still. The bigs had a help, a big factor in Uconn getting kills on the boards on that end.

Reaction Score
Now I know the answer to the question everyone was asking: Who's the dude in that Godawful Mountain Dew commercial. Next question: Who the hell is Danny McBride?

He's an actor. He was in Eastbound and Down, Pineapple Express, Vice Principals, Alien: Covenant, etc.

Reaction Score
I've said that all year that most ppl won't remember SC winning the NC last year...but they would remember MSU beating UConn...it's a compliment to how dominant UConn has been in Woman's basketball IMO...it's also great board material for Geno. I think ESPN was prob going for more of the look anything is possible angle..something that has not been a useable angle in Woman's basketball in recent years. I have been to a lot of MSU games this year and yes that shot is part of the highlight real to start the game but it's def not been a focus of anything I've seen connected to anything MSU has done this year. We have the slogon "Work Harder" because it's not the UConn win most msu fans worry about..it's the one that we didn't get.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it's an obvious angle for ESPN to pursue. For four of the last five years March Madness has had UConn as a given and the rest of the teams competing for second place. Miss. St. "came out of nowhere" in the mind of the casual fan to beat an overwhelming favorite. That is exactly what makes the men's March Madness so compelling.

I think that there will be a rematch this year and I recognize that Miss. St. is a formidable opponent.

(We're doomed.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom