THE DISRUPTER | The Boneyard

THE DISRUPTER

Reaction Score
Has any former player ever earned this as a moniker? If not, I hereby nominate Mikayla Coombs. With each opportunity, she seems to make a difference! A very noticeable difference!! Mikayla the DISRUPTER!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has any former player ever earned this as a moniker? If not, I hereby nominate Mikayla Coombs. With each opportunity, she seems to make a difference! A very noticeable difference!! Mikayla the DISRUPTER!!!
Yes Moriah Jefferson has.

"She had 21 points in the first half and that's unacceptable," Jefferson said. "I just wanted to come out, face-guard her and make her life really hard."
"You don't want anybody to be in a comfort zone and [Mabrey] was in a real good comfort zone in that first half," Auriemma said. "There were all kinds of shots. She is a really, really, really aggressive player, so I think once you get into that space and you disrupt the flow of it, it makes it really tough."

Notre Dame's Jersey Girl Is A Freshman With Game

This was one of several games that Moriah would turn in UCONN's favor so if anyone deserves that moniker of "disruptor" it would be Moriah.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

"She had 21 points in the first half and that's unacceptable," Jefferson said. "I just wanted to come out, face-guard her and make her life really hard."
"You don't want anybody to be in a comfort zone and [Mabrey] was in a real good comfort zone in that first half," Auriemma said. "There were all kinds of shots. She is a really, really, really aggressive player, so I think once you get into that space and you disrupt the flow of it, it makes it really tough."

This was one of several games that Moriah would turn in UCONN's favor so if anyone deserves that moniker of disruptor" it would be Moriah.

Moriah was perhaps the best I've ever seen at denial defense. She really spoiled us as fans.

One of my favorite moments was when she denied McBride as she went to go inbound a ball on the baseline. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Moriah was perhaps the best I've ever seen at denial defense. She really spoiled us as fans.
One of my favorite moments was when she denied McBride as she went to go inbound a ball on the baseline. :)
Another of my favorites was the 2013 FF game against ND when she found herself slightly out of position on Skylar so Moriah just wrapped her hands around her face. Dee call her for a foul and Doris went on some long explanation about Moriah not being in "legal guarding position" as the reason for the foul. In all my years of watching basketball I never seen that called.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Another of my favorites was the 2013 FF game against ND when she found herself slightly out of position on Skylar so Moriah just wrapped her hands around her face. Dee call her for a foul and Doris went on some long explanation about Moriah not being in "legal guarding position" as the reason for the foul. In all my years of watching basketball I never seen that called.
I remember that play and that call vividly. Moriah was trying to "blindfold" Skylar with her left hand just in front of her eyes. I'd never seen that *attempted* ... so I honestly don't know whether that should be a foul.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes. I was on a watching binge and saw that yesterday so it is fresh in my mind. What Moriah did was blatant but hilarious. Seriously, it could have been a Technical since that was not a basketball move. Of course it would have been worth it. Skyler was a mess on the offensive side of the ball .

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes. I was on a watching binge and saw that yesterday so it is fresh in my mind. What Moriah did was blatant but hilarious. Seriously, it could have been a Technical since that was not a basketball move. Of course it would have been worth it. Skyler was a mess on the offensive side of the ball .
That's what I was thinking as well. I think a common foul has to involve contact.

Well, to quench my curiosity I looked it up. It's amazing what you can learn just by checking the rulebook:

Art. 3. Player/Substitute Technical Fouls
a. Committing misconduct, including, but not limited to, the following:
1. Disrespectfully addressing an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment.
2. Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting, or ridiculing another player or bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures toward another player or bench personnel.
3. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing a hand(s) near her eyes.
4. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.
5. Knowingly attempting a free throw to which she is not entitled.
6. Inciting undesirable crowd reaction.
7. Using tobacco.
8. Faking being fouled when confirmed by a monitor review for an unsportsmanlike or contact disqualifying foul. (See Rule 11-2.1.d.6.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Getting back to Mikayla. While she’s still not much of a shooter, it is gratifying to see her play with a newly acquired level of confidence, particularly on defense, where Mikayla is an absolute nightmare with her quickness, athleticism and tremendous ability to anticipate and jump passing lanes.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

This was one of several games that Moriah would turn in UCONN's favor so if anyone deserves that moniker of "disruptor" it would be Moriah.

LivONO certainly has a chance to be one that deserves this sobriquet as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
LivONO certainly has a chance to be one that deserves this sobriquet as well.

Great scrabble word !!!! :)

Best if player A starts with briquet which will make player A pretty happy

Then player B adds the 'so'. Nirvanna

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
3. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing a hand(s) near her eyes.
Then why isn't it a foul when you close out with your hands up on a shooter.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking as well. I think a common foul has to involve contact.

Well, to quench my curiosity I looked it up. It's amazing what you can learn just by checking the rulebook:

Art. 3. Player/Substitute Technical Fouls
a. Committing misconduct, including, but not limited to, the following:
1. Disrespectfully addressing an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment.
2. Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting, or ridiculing another player or bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures toward another player or bench personnel.
4. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.
5. Knowingly attempting a free throw to which she is not entitled.
6. Inciting undesirable crowd reaction.
7. Using tobacco.
8. Faking being fouled when confirmed by a monitor review for an unsportsmanlike or contact disqualifying foul. (See Rule 11-2.1.d.6.)
Interesting. Why then was this foul only a common foul (with no foul shots) and not a technical vs UCF?

Reaction Score
Her defense can only be described as "Farisian" though it's too early to mention her in the same sentence as Kelly Faris. She'll end up with a huge number of deflections and steals if she gets the playing time. Now if she could come up with a little offense...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Then why isn't it a foul when you close out with your hands up on a shooter.

Without trying to interpret the rule book which can be very ambiguous, I am guessing at a "common sense" set of criteria for face guarding that the refs may use.

1) I think you can face guard players both with and without the ball but it is in the form of one hand palm up.

2) There must be some level of common sense distance between the palm and face so that defended players normal head motion does not result in contact.

3) The palm must be reasonably steady (i.e no large range waving).

I am also guessing that the difference in PF versus Technical hinges on what the ref's think is intent even if the rule book does not recognize that as a criterion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom