OT: - The discovery of Willie Mays, by my 8 year old | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The discovery of Willie Mays, by my 8 year old

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mays was one of several "bad ball" hitters in the league at that time. Henry Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Frank Robinson, Tony Oliva, Elston Howard, Orlando Cepeda and little known Manny Sanquillen (Pittsburgh Pirates) are the ones that immediately come to mind. There were others.
The best "bad ball" hitters I remember were: Clemente, Berra, and Sanguillen. I wouldn't call Manny "little known." He had over 1,500 career hits, batted .296 for his career (10th highest all-time among catchers), and received at least some ballots in MVP voting 4 different seasons. Manny has several seasons of 475+ plate appearances, but only 20 or so walks, because he would swing at anything. And usually put his bat on the ball.

Edit: I recall Mays "golfing" some low pitches for home runs. But I remember Yogi, Roberto, and Manny hitting pitches at shoulder height or higher. I believe I saw Manny get a single off a pitch that bounced up to the plate. Most guys who can hit "bad balls" successfully have phenomenal hand-eye coordination. Hitting a baseball is hard, but hitting a baseball between the knees and waist is a lot easier than hitting one at shoulder height or ankle height.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Strange design for an outfield!
Because of the huge areas in left-center and right-center fields, the 2 bull pens were located there. Of the many games I saw, I never saw the location of the pens interfere with play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wasn't Willie Barry's godfather?

Yes, he still is. Willie is still alive, he's 89. :)

1602561101607.png

Reaction Score
I was a (Brooklyn) Dodger fan, but boy; everyone loved Willie
I remember imitating his gait
Trying to catch fly balls like him...didn't work for me.

Of course there was the monster catch in the '54 series against Vic Wertz, in game 1...Turned the whole series into a 4-game rout...
Cleveland's vaunted pitching staff had no chance against the likes of Alvin Dark, Monte Irvin, Willie...and remember Don Mueller, the ultimate powder-puff hitter...never swung hard...but usually made contact...and Sal Maglie, whose curve would break like none other.

And I wasn't a fan...great player, wonderful team.
Willie was a well-known stickball player [Harlem] and stickball with a Spaldeen&broomstick was our main game where I grew up in Queens [on the Brooklyn border] in the early 50s, eh?
And yes, Sal "The Barber" shaved the Injuns that year and got a little help from Hoyt Wilhelm & Johnny Antonelli...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Willie was a well-known stickball player [Harlem] and stickball with a Spaldeen&broomstick was our main game where I grew up in Queens [on the Brooklyn border] in the early 50s, eh?
And yes, Sal "The Barber" shaved the Injuns that year and got a little help from Hoyt Wilhelm & Johnny Antonelli...

Stickball looks awesome! Never played. Saw videos. We went Wiffle and trying to throw a nasty curve.
Great stick story in our episode. Let us know what you think!

iTunes reviews appreciated. Help other fans, find our work. Several cool baseball episodes in our library.

Thanks for supporting our Father/Son hobby.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw Willie twice in person. Once with the Giants when they were still in NY (I’m old but I was a kid) and once when he was with the Mets. He did nothing notable those two days. Saw Mantle several times and he homered almost every time. Saw Duke Snider the first time I saw Willie because it was a Dodgers-Giants game at the Polo Grounds.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Stickball looks awesome! Never played. Saw videos. We went Wiffle and trying to throw a nasty curve.
Great stick story in our episode. Let us know what you think!

iTunes reviews appreciated. Help other fans, find our work. Several cool baseball episodes in our library.

Thanks for supporting our Father/Son hobby.

Stickball was a big Bronx game as well.
I lived on Decatur Avenue which backed up on Woodlawn cemetery.
in the late 40's early 50's We played stick street ball (like Willie) but also
pitched to boxes across E 211 St (never knew the name), painted on the concrete wall of the cemetery, and hit the spauldeen across a big lot (now filled by another apartment house). I went back to take a peek a few years ago and the boxes are still there.

In Queens (we moved in '52 or 3), my stickball was played in Jewel Ave Park...against the tall wire fence of the handball court. there was a plate conveniently painted for balls and strikes. It was 350-400 feet across the concrete softball field to the far fence...With a Spauldeen, one could quite readily hit it that far.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Stickball was a big Bronx game as well.
I lived on Decatur Avenue which backed up on Woodlawn cemetery.
in the late 40's early 50's We played stick street ball (like Willie) but also
pitched to boxes across E 211 St (never knew the name), painted on the concrete wall of the cemetery, and hit the spauldeen across a big lot (now filled by another apartment house). I went back to take a peek a few years ago and the boxes are still there.

In Queens (we moved in '52 or 3), my stickball was played in Jewel Ave Park...against the tall wire fence of the handball court. there was a plate conveniently painted for balls and strikes. It was 350-400 feet across the concrete softball field to the far fence...With a Spauldeen, one could quite readily hit it that far.

Thank you for sharing. Brings back great childhood memories, I’m sure.

Thank you for listening. It was fun to learn the games history with my son! More cool episodes coming soon!

Subscribe and stayed tuned.

Sliders & Curveballs pod

Reaction Score
Saw Willie in the 1973 NLCS games vs. the Reds. Particularly remember Game 3 with the Rose/Harrelson fight, after which, Yogi, Willie, Tom Terrific, Cleon and Rusty had to go out to left field to keep the fans from beaning Pete Rose with a beer bottle (and possibly forfeiting the game).

I was really a Mickey fan growing up (the Mets weren't in existence yet, but I switched my allegience to the Mets in the mid-70s during the Steinbrenner/Billy Martin days. Since then, I've hated the Yankees). My favorite Mickey moment was at the NY Worlds Fair in '64. We were on line to see the DuPont Pavillion (a 2 hour wait) where I listened (on my transistor radio) to most of Game 3 of the World Series between the Yankees and the Cards. Just as we were about to get into the Pavillion (and would have to turn off my radio), Mickey hit a walk-off off of Barney Schultz to break a 1-1 tie. Wow!

Reaction Score
As a Baltimore Oriole fan (being a kid in their heydays of the late 60's and early 70's) for me Brooks Robinson was the consummate third baseman and an all around gentleman. His performance in the 1970 World Series against the Reds was one for the ages.

Reaction Score
As a Baltimore Oriole fan (being a kid in their heydays of the late 60's and early 70's) for me Brooks Robinson was the consummate third baseman and an all around gentleman. His performance in the 1970 World Series against the Reds was one for the ages.
:confused:
He's the reason that a 9 year old kid in Connecticut became an Orioles fan. And I'm now stuck rooting for a really bad team with a miserable owner.:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, he still is. Willie is still alive, he's 89. :)

View attachment 59807
Connecticut connection:

Willie and Bobby Bonds used to throw a golf tournament every Summer at Western Hills Golf Course in Waterbury.

Bobby said he was treated better in Waterbury when he played for a minor league baseball team there than at any other place he played.

I played in it a few times in the 1990s. I never saw Willie or Bobby (I think Bobby had taken ill by that time) but Barry showed up one year I played, in a limo, didn't play golf but hung out for a while. Dave Parker played and hung out, good guy, big.

Reaction Score
:confused:
He's the reason that a 9 year old kid in Connecticut became an Orioles fan. And is now stuck rooting for a really bad team with a miserable owner.:confused:
I feel your pain!

GemParty

Reaction Score
Connecticut connection:

Willie and Bobby Bonds used to throw a golf tournament every Summer at Western Hills Golf Course in Waterbury.

Bobby said he was treated better in Waterbury when he played for a minor league baseball team there than at any other place he played.

I played in it a few times in the 1990s. I never saw Willie or Bobby (I think Bobby had taken ill by that time) but Barry showed up one year I played, in a limo, didn't play golf but hung out for a while. Dave Parker played and hung out, good guy, big.

Cool story!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Saw Willie in the 1973 NLCS games vs. the Reds. Particularly remember Game 3 with the Rose/Harrelson fight, after which, Yogi, Willie, Tom Terrific, Cleon and Rusty had to go out to left field to keep the fans from beaning Pete Rose with a beer bottle (and possibly forfeiting the game).

I was really a Mickey fan growing up (the Mets weren't in existence yet, but I switched my allegience to the Mets in the mid-70s during the Steinbrenner/Billy Martin days. Since then, I've hated the Yankees). My favorite Mickey moment was at the NY Worlds Fair in '64. We were on line to see the DuPont Pavillion (a 2 hour wait) where I listened (on my transistor radio) to most of Game 3 of the World Series between the Yankees and the Cards. Just as we were about to get into the Pavillion (and would have to turn off my radio), Mickey hit a walk-off off of Barney Schultz to break a 1-1 tie. Wow!

The old "knuckleballer" Ten to one it was a knuckle ball Mickey sent into the stands as a souvenir for some lucky fan. :)

GemParty

Reaction Score
The old "knuckleballer" Ten to one it was a knuckle ball Mickey sent into the stands as a souvenir for some lucky fan. :)

Carnac, I meant to ask how did you like the pod? If you’re on iTunes, I’d be grateful for a review!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, I meant to ask how did you like the pod? If you’re on iTunes, I’d be grateful for a review!

Is that your Oct 5 podcast? I have not listened to it yet. I will this weekend, and get back to you. ;)

GemParty

Reaction Score
Is that your Oct 5 podcast? I have not listened to it yet. I will this weekend, and get back to you. ;)

Thanks. It’s actually from the Summer. July 12th. It’s called Legend. Here it is.

Reaction Score
While growing up in Albuquerque in the 40's and 50's, there was radio listening to the Yankees and Red Sox play with stars like Ted Williams, and Joe Dimaggio. In the 50's we had TV in the home and frequently watched the Dodgers and the Giants compete. Willie Mays, Jack Robinson, Duke Snider, Don Newcombe and Pee Wee Reese. Baseball was the people's sport of the day. All the kids played "sandlot" ball. We even had the ABQ Dukes to watch occasionally. Saw him once catch a baseball running to the wall without turning around. A great ball player but a greater man. Say Hey, Willie.

Reaction Score
Read "24" in one day. Willie Mays was incomparable. He is my baseball deity. With apologies to Mickey Mantle, Mike Trout, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, and others, Willie Mays is as close to a perfect baseball player that we will ever see.
Well said. One of Sport's all-time greatest descriptors is: "Willie Mays' glove: where triples go to die."-- Jim Murray.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do you teach children about the history of sports? I’ve chosen, one conversation And game at a time.

Guest, John Shea, co authored “24” with Mr Mays himself and took us through his Hall of Fame life on our Sliders & Curveballs podcast.

One of my favorite guests and episodes.
I hope it will be one of yours too.

Ever seen Willie play? Who’s your baseball hero? Joseph wants to know!

I saw Willie play at Forbes Field more years ago than I care to remember. Forbes Field was a cavernous stadium with a center field over over four hundred feet. The best two center fielders I ever say play there were Mays and Bill Virdon. Dick Groat was on third when a long fly ball was it to Mays in center. He backed up on the catch so he was actually running in, caught it and threw a dart to home plate. Groat had tagged and 99 times out of a hundred would have been safe. Willie Mays was a one of the few five tool players ever to play the game and his throw bounced once around the pitchers mound and settled into the catchers mitt. Groat was out. They both came up around the same time, both were playing in New York and the debate among baseball fans was always "Mantle or Mays". That was a testament to their greatness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom