The Deuce-HBO | The Boneyard

The Deuce-HBO

Reaction Score
Finally caught this show last night. Lots of The Wire cameos so far (still trying to get up to speed on plot/characters/etc). It’s no Wire, but it’s pretty decent so far. Very gritty view of 42nd St back in the 1970s. Any others watching it?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Finally caught this show last night. Lots of The Wire cameos so far (still trying to get up to speed on plot/characters/etc). It’s no Wire, but it’s pretty decent so far. Very gritty view of 42nd St back in the 1970s. Any others watching it?

Yes watching this. It's pretty good with the characters and detail of the 70s NYC. And this has the most nudity of any show that I've seen.

Reaction Score
I'm going to backtrack and start from the beginning, I think what I watched last night was Episode 3

Just realized that there's already a thread on this show, sorry for stepping on any toes:

The Deuce

Reaction Score

I don't know about that. Very gritty and a slow moving grinding show, just like The Wire. Really digging it. Super slow mo view. One of the cooler, more unique things about The Wire.

Reaction Score
2nd season is MUCH better than the first. Even the stupid twin brother vanity acting play by Franco is serving a purpose. Maggie G's story is great and really compelling. I'm 3 episodes in and they are doing a great job of creating a variety of different reckonings for choices the characters make.

Reaction Score
2nd season is MUCH better than the first. Even the stupid twin brother vanity acting play by Franco is serving a purpose. Maggie G's story is great and really compelling. I'm 3 episodes in and they are doing a great job of creating a variety of different reckonings for choices the characters make.
I agree. I had dropped it about midway through Season 1, and happened to catch a random Season 2 episode. Was suitably impressed so I'm going to have to go back and watch the entire S1 now

Reaction Score
Just finished season 2 last night and it really resonated, The Deuce became a great show. The season provided a lot of reckonings both gradual and sudden for the 42nd street world and its various characters. It does so in a very non-judgmental way which is really interesting. This deprives you of some introspection with characters all caught up in their worlds/lives that rarely act with perspective, like Candy who is so blunt, smart, real & honest about every single thing but her son/family. But then it takes you inside of a few characters so Vince wonders if 'we are the assholes' and we get Darlene's great goodbye scene that contains the title of the episode of seeing 'inside the pretend'. This is where the audience has been the whole time so its nice to have a couple characters that see the forest thru the trees.

I'm fascinated by where every single one of these characters will be in __ years when the show returns and I think re-watching season 1 now it'll be a lot better than on first view.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom