The defense dezerved better but they still choked | The Boneyard

The defense dezerved better but they still choked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Handed the lead in the 4th quarter, they let ISU answer and score a TD.

Yep, we should have had a huge lead in the 1st quarter. But the defense had the game in their hand and got pushed down the field.

Reaction Score
Handed the lead in the 4th quarter, they let ISU answer and score a TD.

Yep, we should have had a huge lead in the 1st quarter. But the defense had the game in their hand and got pushed down the field.
Obviously we needed someone to make a play on D and that didn't happen, but I think they were GASSED. When your offensive production is so atrocious, you are going to get tired playing D all the time.

If our O does ANYTHING with the 3 INT's, that allows us to dictate play the rest of the way defensively and we win comfortably.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
on 3rd and long, the coaching staff calls off the dawgs and sends three

the result, after standing around for 10 seconds, the QB completes a long pass for a 1st down that leads them to victory

we just don't like to play to our strengths. we have to get cute, go away from our best option, and lose two weeks in a row

p!ss poor decisions

Reaction Score
They did not choke. They had one bad series in an entire game. If we had an average offense we would have scored 24 in the first half. 3 INTs and several sacks/hurries and offense gives them virtually no support. And I guess DT is only going to hit FGs that are 50 or more yards.....how did he miss that second one?

Reaction Score
I agree about the offnse.

Nut the D had the lead in the 4th quarter and they lost it.

Reaction Score
The other team's guys are on scholarship too. Our D had one bad series. That's not choking.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Finally, a thread with some realism. Sadly, the offense is what we probably all thought it would be, and the D is really solid. Fact is, the is a Randy Edsall team. Because of that, I still hope we can get to 7 wins (just like he would), but we'll see. PP definitely needs to step up his game though. I've also seen "loyalty" ruin many a head coach.

Reaction Score
Hands on hips. They were tired. Too many three outs, but my favorite was the Jmac pick after our INT.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The one thing that irks me about the defense is that at times we don't appeasr to tackle well at the LOS (it happened on three decent to long runs, including the TD against Vandy and about a half dozen times last night). Perhaps it is being too focused on crashing through the line and not being balanced when contact is made with the RB, whatever it is, this needs to be corrected.

I also want an explanation on the ISU WR who was opushed out of bounds and then caught the pass (their second to last possession, a fiorst down play and the punted four plays later). Two officiasls threw their caps on the field (to signify the WR went out of bounds and came back in) but allowed the catch. I thought the rule in college was similar to the NFL, that the WR cannot be the first to touch the ball if he went out of bounds.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One bad series? What game was that during?

12:58 Q2 - 5 plays 74 yards TD
12:30 Q3 - 4 plays 54 yards TD
12:45 Q4 - 8 plays 65 yards TD

Which 'series' was the bad one?

Reaction Score
One bad series? What game was that during?

12:58 Q2 - 5 plays 74 yards TD
12:30 Q3 - 4 plays 54 yards TD
12:45 Q4 - 8 plays 65 yards TD

Which 'series' was the bad one?

So...I guess they are supposed to shut out every opponent. Guess I missed the memo. That team scored 48 points against a Big Ten team last week. Only on one series did they really drive the field on us....but I guess you are right...they stink.

Reaction Score
The one thing that irks me about the defense is that at times we don't appeasr to tackle well at the LOS (it happened on three decent to long runs, including the TD against Vandy and about a half dozen times last night). Perhaps it is being too focused on crashing through the line and not being balanced when contact is made with the RB, whatever it is, this needs to be corrected.

I also want an explanation on the ISU WR who was opushed out of bounds and then caught the pass (their second to last possession, a fiorst down play and the punted four plays later). Two officiasls threw their caps on the field (to signify the WR went out of bounds and came back in) but allowed the catch. I thought the rule in college was similar to the NFL, that the WR cannot be the first to touch the ball if he went out of bounds.
I said the same thing last night in the stands...they took off their hats but allowed the catch...maybe I don't understand the rule

Reaction Score
So...I guess they are supposed to shut out every opponent. Guess I missed the memo. That team scored 48 points against a Big Ten team last week. Only on one series did they really drive the field on us....but I guess you are right...they stink.

Didn't they score half their points in OT?

They are not a great offense. They certainly are an opportunistic one though.

Reaction Score
No you missed last season. We NEVER allowed teams to score :confused:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I love the Boneyard. Reading comprehension at it's best.

I did not say that they should shut everyone out, nor did I say that they stink. They were ok last night. The offense being so bad killed them in the second half. The game did turn on the longest drive when it was 10-0, the long pass never should have been completed.

Since you clearly missed the point, I'll try and make it again: It's pretty clear that there was more than 1 bad series/drive when ON THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS, Iowa St took over trailing and went down the field for quick touchdowns.

And please on the 48 points. They scored 3 touchdowns in OT.

Reaction Score
UConn's defense is good,not great. They are not gonna be strong enough to carry an awful offense. Not gonna happen. 1950's football - run,run,run and play defense - is not gonna get the job done in the modern era.
Unfortunately for the UConn D, their offensive teammates just aren't good BCS players, with few exceptions like Isiah Moore.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I said the same thing last night in the stands...they took off their hats but allowed the catch...maybe I don't understand the rule
I want to know what the rule is for college. I was convinced (prior to last night's game) that the rule was the same as the NFL, the receiver can come back into the field of play if he was forced out of bounds but cannot be the first to touch the ball. I am no longer as confident as I was 24 hours ago that the college rule is the same as the NFL.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I want to know what the rule is for college. I was convinced (prior to last night's game) that the rule was the same as the NFL, the receiver can come back into the field of play if he was forced out of bounds but cannot be the first to touch the ball. I am no longer as confident as I was 24 hours ago that the college rule is the same as the NFL.

A receiver loses his eligibility by leaving the field of play unless he was forced out by a defensive player and immediately attempts to get back inbounds (Rule 7-3-4).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom