The Day's Mike DiMauro Defends Edsall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Day's Mike DiMauro Defends Edsall

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It's not much of a consolation, but I think the team is better than last season. The defense isn't giving up TD's at will, even though some of the scores suggest otherwise. The O is worse due to the loss of Pindell, the one guy who could make chicken salad out of the busted schemes.

Last year other teams were rotating in the 2nd/3rd string in the first half. At least, they waiting until the 2nd half now.

Opponents can still target the weak parts of the roster. It's the leaky boat effect. Until you sufficiently plug every hole you are still going to sink. We still have too many holes to hold up against any competent team for 4 quarters.
You are wrong. We are not better. We’re getting our a.. handed to us again. WTF are you watching?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This article is much more about denigrating UConn football, to DiMauro's alma mater's benefit, than it is about defending Edsall.

Bingo!

Why anyone ever gives that clown the time of day is beyond me...

Reaction Score
It’s your prerogative not to listen but caring (like accuracy) is a matter of degree. SH cared about football but wasn’t a wild fan of the sport. She fired Hathaway then hired Warde Manuel from Buffalo— mainly as an antidote for our NCAA academic issues. He made the hiring decision on Diaco. A lot of folks were fooled on that one. Meanwhile, while not quite the rock star she thought he was, Warde was good enough to be hired by Michigan. She then hired Benedict. For me he’s an upgrade. Time will tell with TK but early impressions are positive. He wants a vibrant FBS program and bowl games for the fans. I like what I’m hearing about his vision but once again it’s a matter of degree. If I’m wrong I’m sure you’ll let me know.
I suspect Warde was just marking time at UConn. He likely was already in line for the Michigan job and probably knew that it would be there for him. That may explain why he didn't really care what happened to UConn under his tenure.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You are wrong. We are not better. We’re getting our a.. handed to us again. are you watching?
The defense is better but is tired because the GD offense doesn't stay on the field
Last year the offense was better because the QB was an athlete
If DP was back this year the results would be different IMHO

Reaction Score
The admissions requirements can't be more difficult than the teams we are playing. The AD has to go to bat on this and the new President has to approve it if changes are needed no matter who is coaching. With where we are competitively this is paramount. If Edsall can win 2 more games he stays, if he wins one more only I still see him here next year. The QB is still the biggest problem. Then the LB's and corners. The players are trying but as a whole group we can't overcome those holes yet.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I suspect Warde was just marking time at UConn. He likely was already in line for the Michigan job and probably knew that it would be there for him. That may explain why he didn't really care what happened to UConn under his tenure.
Every AD at UConn the past 30 years, except the sap Hathaway, was/is marking time
The only factor that DB has against him is that nobody will want him

Reaction Score
Every AD at UConn the past 30 years, except the sap Hathaway, was/is marking time
The only factor that DB has against him is that nobody will want him
You say no one will want DB? Let me remind you that Warde Manuel got hired by Michigan and he was a god awful AD.

Reaction Score
If we’re being intellectually honest his first few years shouldn’t count with the transition to 1A. Throw in the picking up from Fiasco and the math is bad. Really bad. But he needs to show progress in the back end of this year

Reaction Score
No one seems to mention DB put in the new ticket seat purchase policy way too early. We are in the crappy AAC basketball conference and asked us to pony up $800 per set when that fell with a big thud on season ticket sales I believe it was a knee jerk reaction to move us to the big east then jettisoning the Football program.

This will be a huge mistake in jettisoning the football program in the long run. Calhoun and Geno did so much for Uconn to bring it into the spotlight, but in the long run football will continue that spotlight and pay the bills. There is going to be a future re-alignment of top schools but Uconn will probably now not be part of it, we will be the old Yankee conference URI, NH, and unfortunately Uconn's status might go down a level as well.

Reaction Score
You say no one will want DB? Let me remind you that Warde Manuel got hired by Michigan and he was a god awful AD.
He obviously has certain special attributes that seem to matter beyond competency.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
This is not the end. It unfortunately isn't even the end of the beginning because we keep hitting reset.

2011 Reset with PP
2012 Reset with AAC
2014 Reset with Diaco
2017 Reset with Edsall
2019 Reset as an Independent
2020 Reset with a terrible schedule
202? Reset with a new TV deal and a workable schedule.
2022 Reset with whoever replaces Edsall because we aren't likely to be good next year either, though a schedule of juco's, high schools, and girl scout troops might pad the record enough to keep him around.
Cancel

Reaction Score
Being independent is a challenge but DB is working on a future schedule that will be more attractive than many currently presume.

2020 schedule will be awful. It's negligence from DB to be in this position. I don't care that 2032 will be better.

Reaction Score
Please be nice to the older guys on the Boneyard. Wisdom comes with the years

Reaction Score

Warde Manuel was a graduate of Michigan and they wanted a “Michigan Man” as AD.

Reaction Score
The ongoing lack of support from Hathaway for Edsall’s concerns is well known and factually correct. (Hathaway also roiled Calhoun). But once Prez SH rightfully canned Hathaway, we didn’t capitalize and blew the next two football hires. So here we are. Demauro’s right that we’re not going FCS. But he’s wrong about football being dead. Don't forget it was Benedict who drove the Big East bus. It was his idea. He had to get buy in from both SH and our future Prez in waiting. It wouldn’t have happened when it did without full accord and agreement from the soon to be new President Tom Katsalouas. Coming from UVA, TK wants UConn to step up and become a leading research university. TK also wants a thriving football program. That’s what all big state flagship research universities have. Being independent is a challenge but DB is working on a future schedule that will be more attractive than many currently presume. Don’t forget, this is Benedict’s brainchild. He can’t let it fail and TK won’t let him.

Inside info or not. You drink a ridiculous amount of kool aid.

Reaction Score
If we’re being intellectually honest his first few years shouldn’t count with the transition to 1A. Throw in the picking up from Fiasco and the math is bad. Really bad. But he needs to show progress in the back end of this year
If we only count his wins, he's undefeated!

Reaction Score
It’s your prerogative not to listen but caring (like accuracy) is a matter of degree. SH cared about football but wasn’t a wild fan of the sport. She fired Hathaway then hired Warde Manuel from Buffalo— mainly as an antidote for our NCAA academic issues. He made the hiring decision on Diaco. A lot of folks were fooled on that one. Meanwhile, while not quite the rock star she thought he was, Warde was good enough to be hired by Michigan. She then hired Benedict. For me he’s an upgrade. Time will tell with TK but early impressions are positive. He wants a vibrant FBS program and bowl games for the fans. I like what I’m hearing about his vision but once again it’s a matter of degree. If I’m wrong I’m sure you’ll let me know.

Thanks nOstiCal.

Even if what you are saying is true. All we hear about is intentions. And yet every action indicates the opposite of what you claim the admin’s desires are.

All we see is intentions and no plan.

We hear that they want bowl games and yet they make football independent. So I have to call BS on every word you post. Because it all sounds like talking points and no action.

Reaction Score
What DiMauro doesn't say is how much damage his alma mater did to us in blackballing us from the ACC. Gene DiFilippo and the BC administration got sick of us beating them like a drum in basketball, didn't want to see it happen in football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom