The Dagger into Duke's Heart. . . | The Boneyard

The Dagger into Duke's Heart. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . occurred when Duke (led by Chelsea Gray, the Dookie with the most heart) whittled the UConn lead down to 55-32 with 8+ minutes to play. The Cameron Crazies were aroused and really getting into it.

Kaleena took a three-point and [gasp!] missed it!

But Stef corraled the rebound and tossed it back to KML. ["shooter's mentality" = "next shot will go in."] Without an instant of hesitation, she took another. YES!

Now 58-32.

At that moment, the Duke players' shoulders slumped visibly. So much so that moments later, when Stef knocked down a three-point play (61-32), the sullen crowd began to depart the premises and head for the parking lot.

Talk about Clutch! Kaleena for three!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We never had a 29 point lead, Kib, but the story point is well made.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We never had a 29 point lead, Kib, but the story point is well made.

Hmmmm. Upon further review, we both got it wrong.

I never said 29-point lead (61-22 ain't 29-point "differential").

BUT........I should have more accurately started my narrative with the score at 45-22, ONLY a 13-poinr difference and the crowd coming alive. Then 48-22 (Kaleena) and 51-22 (Dolson).

I just got too excited for typing!

Reaction Score
I remember the moment you're talking about, and it was a big one -- concern that Duke was creeping back into it, KML missing a 3, us getting the offensive board, feeding KML again for a back-breaking 3 -- but the details were a huge swing and miss.

First of all, it happened at 65-52, with a 13 point lead (as close as things got for over 20 minutes).
The offensive rebounder/assister was Stewie, not Stef.
The following possession Stewie got fouled and made two free throws.
The Stef and-1 came four possessions later, when the run had been stifled and the game was already effectively over (76-52 after this play)

The play-by-play is your friend!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/playbyplay?gameId=400508752

Reaction Score
Always heady stuff when the other teams shoulders slump and their sullen crowd makes for the parking lot :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I remember the moment you're talking about, and it was a big one -- concern that Duke was creeping back into it, KML missing a 3, us getting the offensive board, feeding KML again for a back-breaking 3 -- but the details were a huge swing and miss.

First of all, it happened at 65-52, with a 13 point lead (as close as things got for over 20 minutes).
The offensive rebounder/assister was Stewie, not Stef.
The following possession Stewie got fouled and made two free throws.
The Stef and-1 came four possessions later, when the run had been stifled and the game was already effectively over (76-52 after this play)

The play-by-play is your friend!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/playbyplay?gameId=400508752

Thanks. Shows how inaccurate one can be when posting when half asleep and with a photographic memory that ran out of film. Maybe it's time for me to run for political office, since -- like most elected officials -- I am conceptually solid but loose with the facts.

It was still one helluva shot by Kaleena!

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was at the game and just finished watching it again on DVR. The place was going nuts. Huge rebound by Stewart. When KML's shot is in the air I'm saying, "No way she misses two of these in a row." (Turns out, according to Rich Elliot, Bria was saying same thing to Coach.)

That make started a 14-0 run. Game over.

Reaction Score
. . . occurred when Duke (led by Chelsea Gray, the Dookie with the most heart) whittled the UConn lead down to 55-32 with 8+ minutes to play. The Cameron Crazies were aroused and really getting into it.

Kaleena took a three-point and [gasp!] missed it!

But Stef corraled the rebound and tossed it back to KML. ["shooter's mentality" = "next shot will go in."] Without an instant of hesitation, she took another. YES!

Now 58-32.

At that moment, the Duke players' shoulders slumped visibly. So much so that moments later, when Stef knocked down a three-point play (61-32), the sullen crowd began to depart the premises and head for the parking lot.

Talk about Clutch! Kaleena for three!

Yes, mentally they threw in the towel right around that point.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I play back a lot of footage in slow motion reviewing foul calls and no calls. For what it's worth, Liston should have fouled out easily at the 9-10 minute mark in 2nd half. She hacked Stewie so bad a few times, creating loose ball turn overs, never coming close to the ball. How our number one crew misses some of this, while calling those touch fouls is beyond me. I don't think Denise Brooks is a fan of Uconn!

Reaction Score
I couldn't understand the lack of a foul on Liston in the first half when she was battling Jefferson for a rebound and, after it was passed away from the basket, she "flagrantly" pushed into her. Official right there.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I didn't think that push on MoJo was a foul -- I thought it was a technical.... other stuff, not so worried to complain.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I couldn't understand the lack of a foul on Liston in the first half when she was battling Jefferson for a rebound and, after it was passed away from the basket, she "flagrantly" pushed into her. Official right there.
Not to mention over the back.

Reaction Score
To me it seems that Duke players , when retrieving a rebound or moving to score under the basket, on a number of occasions, had a foot on the out a bounds line & were never called on it !

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
That was another obvious one. They let her have her way in that game- when Stewie lost the ball early bringing it out after a rebound- Liston just totally hacked her forearm and Stewie fumbled the ball. Some were so hard and obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom