the D Train | The Boneyard

the D Train

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a Bronxite, I am referencing the Express that stops for no-one with my new nickname for Aaliyah. Nothing can stop her roll to the basket! Amazing.
I like the direction you’re going, but why not saddle Aaliyah with Duke Ellington’s great Big Band hit, Take the A Train”. After all, the name fits better. :cool:

Reaction Score
I like the direction you’re going, but why not saddle Aaliyah with Duke Ellington’s great Big Band hit, Take the A Train”. After all, the name fits better. :cool:
Because the more famous A Train is also on the IND, but the D Train is from my native Borough!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sun fans have referred to Alyssa Thomas as the ATrain for some time... as in, "you play on her tracks, the ATrain will run you over" or, "time for the Sun to climb aboard the ATrain".

Reaction Score
I love to watch her play! That being said, I understand the yellow/blue hair is a remembrance of and tribute to Kobe. Is this true or is it just fashion now allowed by team standards?

psconn

Reaction Score
I love to watch her play! That being said, I understand the yellow/blue hair is a remembrance of and tribute to Kobe. Is this true or is it just fashion now allowed by team standards?

Fact, according to Aaliyah.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Back in my Bronx days...'39-'53
The D train was our go-to transport
I would walk through Reservoir Oval park
(where I practiced my jumper and played roller hockey}
and hopped the "D" to get to Yankee Stadium, the "Garden"
and for weekly visits to music school on Kingsbridge Rd.
And special trips to Krums on Fordham Road for candy
and an ice-cream soda.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Fact, according to Aaliyah.
Watch the video below starting at the 3:20 mark. Aaliyah wears purple and yellow braids in honor of her dead older brother who was a Laker fan. Listen to what she says: "I attribute this hair to him."

Reaction Score
and an ice-cream soda.
Well, I took up where you left off, for a while at least. I was born in Bronx Hospital in 1954 and moved to Manhattan in 1978. My brother was born in '39 so you, he, and I seem to have enjoyed similar experiences riding the D train. Krums was the greatest treat for a malted or homemade ice cream bar. My first job as a kid was selling peanuts at the Stadium. As a younger kid I would take the D to the MacBurney Y on 63 Street or to go ice skating at the Garden, or the CC local to the Museum of Natural History. Wonderful to share the fond memories with you.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
and an ice-cream soda.
Krum's. Here in Brooklyn it was Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor. There they sold something called "The Kitchen Sink", which was self explanatory.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Krum's. Here in Brooklyn it was Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor. There they sold something called "The Kitchen Sink", which was self explanatory.
Ate it: At the Richmond Hill Location
(Which I thought was the original one...but Wiki straightened me out).

Last edited:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Well, I took up where you left off, for a while at least. I was born in Bronx Hospital in 1954 and moved to Manhattan in 1978. My brother was born in '39 so you, he, and I seem to have enjoyed similar experiences riding the D train. Krums was the greatest treat for a malted or homemade ice cream bar. My first job as a kid was selling peanuts at the Stadium. As a younger kid I would take the D to the MacBurney Y on 63 Street or to go ice skating at the Garden, or the CC local to the Museum of Natural History. Wonderful to share the fond memories with you.
While I don't have as long a history in the Bronx, I did live there for four years as a Fordham student (Class of '79). I agree with the D Train reference and would also like to add another major route into the Bronx as a reflection of this team: the 4 Train – as in that's how many championships Paige and Azzi each plan to win. Regarding the Kitchen Sink at Jahns – it's amazing how easily mountains of ice cream, whipped cream, fudge, syrups, sprinkles and whatever else the scooper felt like throwing into that huge bowl can slide into a belly full of beer when you're 20. Although, as a student in the '70s, it wasn't unusual to have your appetite enhanced to help those cravings for something sweet. For those of you unfamiliar with "The Kitchen Sink," it was great because it was different every time. You got whatever the person who was making it felt like throwing in, The only constant was that it was huge. And their ice cream was great. It was unusual for us to have the money to afford it, but when we did, it was a thing of beauty. I could go on forever because I loved my four years there, but one more story about money. A bar on Third Avenue, which we called The Web, ran a special on Sunday - Thursday: all the draft beer you could drink between 7:00 and midnight for $2.00. Or it may have been 9:00 - midnight. I don't remember what kind of beer it was, but I'm sure it was awful. We weren't there for the taste, so it really didn't matter. Anyway, if you walked in alone, you were served in a mug. If there were two or more of you, you would get a pitcher. On good nights we would enter in twos to get as many pitchers as possible. Then right before midnight, we would drink as much as possible so we could empty our pitchers and have them refilled. Since we were already quite drunk, we could nurse them for hours. Nothing like a warm mug of flat, cheap beer at 3:00 am. And we wondered why we were so unsuccessful with the ladies. LOL. Unfortunately, the Web burned down the summer between my Junior and Senior years. Sorry for the long, boring story, but I find myself doing more and more of that as I get older. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Watch the video below starting at the 3:20 mark. Aaliyah wears purple and yellow braids in honor of her dead older brother who was a Laker fan. Listen to what she says: "I attribute this hair to him."

Thanks, I have been meaning to straighten that out since the announcer reeled off the misinformation 2-3 games ago. The braids have nothing to do with Kobe, sorely missed as he might be.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thanks, I have been meaning to straighten that out since the announcer reeled of the misinformation 2-3 games ago. The braids have nothing to do with Kobe, sorely missed as he might be.
She's had the braids much longer than Kobe has been gone, I knew there was another reason, thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
The kitchen sink was reserved for graduations or other one-time events for us! Luckily my junior high school graduation was held at the theater next door (RKO?) and got to split a kitchen sink with a bunch of my friends!

Reaction Score
While I don't have as long a history in the Bronx, I did live there for four years as a Fordham student (Class of '79). I agree with the D Train reference and would also like to add another major route into the Bronx as a reflection of this team: the 4 Train – as in that's how many championships Paige and Azzi each plan to win. Regarding the Kitchen Sink at Jahns – it's amazing how easily mountains of ice cream, whipped cream, fudge, syrups, sprinkles and whatever else the scooper felt like throwing into that huge bowl can slide into a belly full of beer when you're 20. Although, as a student in the '70s, it wasn't unusual to have your appetite enhanced to help those cravings for something sweet. For those of you unfamiliar with "The Kitchen Sink," it was great because it was different every time. You got whatever the person who was making it felt like throwing in, The only constant was that it was huge. And their ice cream was great. It was unusual for us to have the money to afford it, but when we did, it was a thing of beauty. I could go on forever because I loved my four years there, but one more story about money. A bar on Third Avenue, which we called The Web, ran a special on Sunday - Thursday: all the draft beer you could drink between 7:00 and midnight for $2.00. Or it may have been 9:00 - midnight. I don't remember what kind of beer it was, but I'm sure it was awful. We weren't there for the taste, so it really didn't matter. Anyway, if you walked in alone, you were served in a mug. If there were two or more of you, you would get a pitcher. On good nights we would enter in twos to get as many pitchers as possible. Then right before midnight, we would drink as much as possible so we could empty our pitchers and have them refilled. Since we were already quite drunk, we could nurse them for hours. Nothing like a warm mug of flat, cheap beer at 3:00 am. And we wondered why we were so unsuccessful with the ladies. LOL. Unfortunately, the Web burned down the summer between my Junior and Senior years. Sorry for the long, boring story, but I find myself doing more and more of that as I get older. :D
Going to Fordham, I hope you got to enjoy White Castle and Arthur Avenue!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Think I read/saw that it's about her late brother being a HUGE Lakers fan and is in memory of him.

World of difference in personal meaning and intent. Kind of like my tattoos. One was from when I was a kid having fun and the last one is a portrait of my grand daughter who never got to come home from the hospital. Totally different things.

Reaction Score
Think I read/saw that it's about her late brother being a HUGE Lakers fan and is in memory of him.

World of difference in personal meaning and intent. Kind of like my tattoos. One was from when I was a kid having fun and the last one is a portrait of my grand daughter who never got to come home from the hospital. Totally different things.
So sorry to hear about your granddaughter.

psconn

Reaction Score

Thanks for the clarifications... apologies for my faulty memory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom