The Curse of Oak Island | The Boneyard

The Curse of Oak Island

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Anyone watching this? I have to admit it is a guilty pleasure. It's cheesy and repetitive but pretty compelling.

Here's a link to an article that piqued one of the current treasure hunters interest in the mystery.

Reader's Digest Article

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone watching this? I have to admit it is a guilty pleasure. It's cheesy and repetitive but pretty compelling.

Here's a link to an article that piqued one of the current treasure hunters interest in the mystery.

Reader's Digest Article

I saw the ads for it (endlessly) and was interested. What the hell is it? The ads did a poor job of explaining.

CL82

Reaction Score
The article give a much more detailed backstory, but in 1795 three teens found an odd depression in the soil of an island in Nova Scotia. As they examined the site they saw a block and tackle hanging from a tree above the depression. They guessed that pirate treasure was buried there and tried to dig it up. Every 10 feet they hit a floor of oak logs. At 90 feet they hit a stone tablet with symbols that could not decipher. They removed the stone and the hole flooded with seawater. Apparently there is a series of flood tunnels (and they found remnants of theses) that lead back to a cove and will flood the hole with seawater if it is accessed improperly.

Every since then treasure hunters (including Theodore Roosevelt) have been trying to recover the supposed treasure. There originally were a lot of clues, rock carving etc. that were on the surface but one treasure hunter tried to recover it with brute force by bulldozing and excavating a huge whole. It eventually flooded and collapsed. That excavation eliminated any signs of the original site.

The series is the story of a new group of guys trying to prove the legend, locate the site and recover the treasure from what is referred to as "the money pit" by the locals with intentional irony. Last season they spent a couple of million trying to bore to the money pit with mixed results. This is season number 5 and they think they've located it by drilling a grid with 6" inch holes. It looks as if they may have found something. One hole has pulled up human bones from about 190' down. A metal detector shows a large anomaly at about 160' down the same hole.

I've been watching it since the start and I admit I am hooked. It is slow and there is a lot repetition, but the members of current searcher group are earnest and interesting.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The article give a much more detailed backstory, but in 1795 three teens found an odd depression in the soil of an island in Nova Scotia. As they examined the site they saw a block and tackle hanging from a tree above the depression. They guessed that pirate treasure was buried there and tried to dig it up. Every 10 feet they hit a floor of oak logs. At 90 feet they hit a stone tablet with symbols that could not decipher. They removed the stone and the hole flooded with seawater. Apparently there is a series of flood tunnels (and they found remnants of theses) that lead back to a cove and will flood the hole with seawater if it is accessed improperly.

Every since then treasure hunters (including Theodore Roosevelt) have been trying to recover the supposed treasure. There originally were a lot of clues, rock carving etc. that were on the surface but one treasure hunter tried to recover it with brute force by bulldozing and excavating a huge whole. It eventually flooded and collapsed. That excavation eliminated any signs of the original site.

The series is the story of a new group of guys trying to prove the legend, locate the site and recover the treasure from what is referred to as "the money pit" by the locals with intentional irony. Last season they spent a couple of million trying to bore to the money pit with mixed results. This is season number 5 and they think they've located it by drilling a grid with 6" inch holes. It looks as if they may have found something. One hole has pulled up human bones from about 190' down. A metal detector shows a large anomaly at about 160' down the same hole.

I've been watching it since the start and I admit I am hooked. It is slow and there is a lot repetition, but the members of current searcher group are earnest and interesting.

Thanks. That does sound good. Is there a way to catch up? Anybody streaming it?

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks. That does sound good. Is there a way to catch up? Anybody streaming it?
Netflix has it. You really could start with this season, they do a lot backstory and exposition in the series. I think this is done to stretch a summers worth of activity into enough for a full season but it does make it easy to catch up.

Reaction Score
The first time I ever heard about this was when I was a kid and saw it on an episode of the 1970's Leonard Nimoy show "In Search Of". It's kind of cool to see that this mystery is still going strong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom