The curious case of the TN-AL streak | The Boneyard

The curious case of the TN-AL streak

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting that Tennessee has lost to Alabama four consecutive times so I thought I'd check into seeing if this constituted some sort of record.

We will have to start by limiting review to the modern era, not because records don't exist but because Tennessee prior to 1972 was rarely very good with the exception of 1926. (The team started in 1903 but didn't win their first game until 1907)

They had some long losing streaks to schools in the early days, for example, they are 0-4 against Farragut School, but that happened in 1905-1908. The longest early losing streak appears to be against Maryville school when they lost 13 consecutive times between 1903 and 1920.

One interesting streak extends to 1984. It's only three games, but they have never beaten Cincinnati. To be fair, two of those losses were in 1924, but I think that's the most recent of the never beaten streaks.

There are a few streaks of four or more games in the modern era.

• Mississippi beat Tennessee four straight times between 1985 and 1986. While Mississippi isn't all that strong recently, they were very good in that era with AP ratings of 6, 8, 8, and 12
  • The western USC beat Tennessee four straight times between 1982 and 1984, but the team was nationally ranked as either number one or number five at the time.
  • Texas had two four-game winning streaks, one starting in 1982 and the other starting in 2002. The rankings range from number one through number 22.
  • Baylor won 5 consecutive times against Tennessee between 2010 and 2012 generally ranked 12 or three and once ranked number 14.
  • Old Dominion won 5 consecutive times in the 1979 to 1980 period when they were a national power.
  • UConn won 6 straight times between 2002 and 2004 each time ranked either number one or number three.
  • Notre Dame had six consecutive wins between 2011 and 2016 with rankings ranging from two through nine.
  • Tennessee Tech had their number between 1974 and 1977, winning seven consecutive times. That was prior to national rankings but I believe they were a national powerhouse at the time.

I believe in every single one of these games, Tennessee's opponent was nationally ranked, often in the top 10 or recognized as one of the nations leading teams if prior to the official rankings.

That's what makes the Alabama streak so anomalous. In each of the last four games against Alabama, the Alabama team was unranked. I don't believe any of the other four or more game streaks involved any unranked teams. Is this just an odd coincidence or is there something about Alabama? (I know the football history but I'm not really convinced that a football rivalry which isn't much of a rivalry, translates to a women's basketball rivalry.)

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting that Tennessee has lost to Alabama four consecutive times so I thought I'd check into seeing if this constituted some sort of record.

We will have to start by limiting review to the modern era, not because records don't exist but because Tennessee prior to 1972 was rarely very good with the exception of 1926. (The team started in 1903 but didn't win their first game until 1907)

They had some long losing streaks to schools in the early days, for example, they are 0-4 against Farragut School, but that happened in 1905-1908. The longest early losing streak appears to be against Maryville school when they lost 13 consecutive times between 1903 and 1920.

One interesting streak extends to 1984. It's only three games, but they have never beaten Cincinnati. To be fair, two of those losses were in 1924, but I think that's the most recent of the never beaten streaks.

There are a few streaks of four or more games in the modern era.

• Mississippi beat Tennessee four straight times between 1985 and 1986. While Mississippi isn't all that strong recently, they were very good in that era with AP ratings of 6, 8, 8, and 12
  • The western USC beat Tennessee four straight times between 1982 and 1984, but the team was nationally ranked as either number one or number five at the time.
  • Texas had two four-game winning streaks, one starting in 1982 and the other starting in 2002. The rankings range from number one through number 22.
  • Baylor won 5 consecutive times against Tennessee between 2010 and 2012 generally ranked 12 or three and once ranked number 14.
  • Old Dominion won 5 consecutive times in the 1979 to 1980 period when they were a national power.
  • UConn won 6 straight times between 2002 and 2004 each time ranked either number one or number three.
  • Notre Dame had six consecutive wins between 2011 and 2016 with rankings ranging from two through nine.
  • Tennessee Tech had their number between 1974 and 1977, winning seven consecutive times. That was prior to national rankings but I believe they were a national powerhouse at the time.

I believe in every single one of these games, Tennessee's opponent was nationally ranked, often in the top 10 or recognized as one of the nations leading teams if prior to the official rankings.

That's what makes the Alabama streak so anomalous. In each of the last four games against Alabama, the Alabama team was unranked. I don't believe any of the other four or more game streaks involved any unranked teams. Is this just an odd coincidence or is there something about Alabama? (I know the football history but I'm not really convinced that a football rivalry which isn't much of a rivalry, translates to a women's basketball rivalry.)
Wow this is great for anyone who appreciate stats! you ought to post more often.
By the way do you have stats on Geno coaching against teams which have an ex-huskies (txfr) player as well in addition of his record of 36-0 against ex-players or assistants who are now coaches?
Thanks.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think I'll copy and paste this... and post it on the other boards
upload_2018-2-20_7-4-27.jpeg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really good stuff, Phil. I think more than anything, the last 2 years was the worst stretch basketball Tennessee has had in the last 40+ years. Alabama capitalized on that (3 wins in 2016 and 2017) and this year the team is still quite unpredictable, so Alabama pulled an upset marking 4 in a row. I don’t think it’s anything particularly out of the ordinary other than they’ve shown up while Tennessee hasn’t. I expect the streak to end the next time these teams meet, but we’ll see what happens.

Ironically, I think Tennessee might be the only team in women's basketball to have a current win streak against Geno Auriemma (3 straight wins, all from 10+ years ago).

Another interesting streak for any volleyball fans out there is Penn State’s struggle playing Nebraska. Penn State has dominated the sport for much of the last 12 years but they’ve really struggled against Nebraska despite having (arguably) better teams than Nebraska in most years. The last two seasons, Penn State has had match points against Nebraska in the NCAA tournament and couldn’t close them out. It’s now 7 straight wins for Nebraska which is likely the worst losing streak in Russ Rose’s career (Penn State coach). Reminds me a bit of Notre Dame/UCONN from 2011-2013.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
90: serious questions for you:

would you [personally] like the UConn/LadyVol rivalry to get restarted? Maybe with a one-off in NYC with the proceeds going to Pat's cause? Then home/home for 2 or 4 years?

in your opinion what do the majority of LadyVol fans think about such an occurrence?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I did enjoy the comments from Orange-land after this last game that Alabama kicks Tennessee's butt in every sport with the possible exception of football.

Football isn't that good. Men's basketball isn't that good. Now, you can't even count on women's basketball on Rocky Top. The natives are mighty restless.

I don't think there's anything to this streak other than Tennessee can blow it against any team and 'Bama has been that team four times in a row. Also, success breeds confidence. Any aura Tennessee once had is now totally gone. 'Bama knows they can beat the LVs and it's just a matter of replicating what they did last time since the LVs can't or won't raise their level of play.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
In BB, when teams have trouble beating one particular opponent they face every season, it usually has something to do with bad matchups. My guess is there's something about the makeup of the Alabama team that presents bad matchups for TN.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I did enjoy the comments from Orange-land after this last game that Alabama kicks Tennessee's butt in every sport with the possible exception of football.

Football isn't that good. Men's basketball isn't that good. Now, you can't even count on women's basketball on Rocky Top. The natives are mighty restless.

I don't think there's anything to this streak other than Tennessee can blow it against any team and 'Bama has been that team four times in a row. Also, success breeds confidence. Any aura Tennessee once had is now totally gone. 'Bama knows they can beat the LVs and it's just a matter of replicating what they did last time since the LVs can't or won't raise their level of play.

I absolutely agree with this observation. I think currently there is more angst on VolNation about Tennessee getting their butt kicked by Alabama in virtually every sport than there is residual hatred to all things UConn.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with this observation. I think currently there is more angst on VolNation about Tennessee getting their butt kicked by Alabama in virtually every sport than there is residual hatred to all things UConn.
Over there is complete resignation that UConn owns the sport now. They despise Geno and know they would get killed if we played them. Heck, some are even longing for Shea to come and coach. Other than that, the group is like a bunch of grumpy old men, longing for days gone by..."back when Pat was coach, none of this cr-p would ever happen"...type stuff...they still think they deserve to be treated as the royalty of WCBB and seem to forget that Old Dominion and La Tech were there before them, never mind what UConn has done after them....:cool:

Reaction Score
Really good stuff, Phil. I think more than anything, the last 2 years was the worst stretch basketball Tennessee has had in the last 40+ years. Alabama capitalized on that (3 wins in 2016 and 2017) and this year the team is still quite unpredictable, so Alabama pulled an upset marking 4 in a row. I don’t think it’s anything particularly out of the ordinary other than they’ve shown up while Tennessee hasn’t. I expect the streak to end the next time these teams meet, but we’ll see what happens.

Ironically, I think Tennessee might be the only team in women's basketball to have a current win streak against Geno Auriemma (3 straight wins, all from 10+ years ago).

Another interesting streak for any volleyball fans out there is Penn State’s struggle playing Nebraska. Penn State has dominated the sport for much of the last 12 years but they’ve really struggled against Nebraska despite having (arguably) better teams than Nebraska in most years. The last two seasons, Penn State has had match points against Nebraska in the NCAA tournament and couldn’t close them out. It’s now 7 straight wins for Nebraska which is likely the worst losing streak in Russ Rose’s career (Penn State coach). Reminds me a bit of Notre Dame/UCONN from 2011-2013.

LaSalle is 4-0 against the Huskies. Their first win predates Auriemma.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
90: serious questions for you:

would you [personally] like the UConn/LadyVol rivalry to get restarted? Maybe with a one-off in NYC with the proceeds going to Pat's cause? Then home/home for 2 or 4 years?

in your opinion what do the majority of LadyVol fans think about such an occurrence?

For the sport, I think it’d be great. You’d see sell out crowds once they play again for the first couple of times.

Personally as a Tennessee fan? No way do I want that. I realistically know what the outcome would be and it wouldn’t be pretty. It wouldn’t be the same rivalry with Holly on the sideline instead of Pat. I think it’d go the same route of the Duke-UCONN rivalry when it changed hands from G to P.

If Tennessee gets a new coach that makes the program more consistent, then yes, I think I’d want to bring the rivalry back, but as long as we have Holly we’ll be perennial underachievers and the game would highlight that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom