The criticism against KO has no substance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The criticism against KO has no substance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KO can't coach offense.

Our highest finish in KenPom adjusted offense with him is 39 in the '14 title year. The pre-season (and 1 game) projection for this year is 74. Last year was 59, year before 100, and his first year 55.

We've had top 10 defensive finishes in that time period, but never even cracking a top 30 offense in possibly soon to be 5 years is pathetic. If you don't get easy or high % shots, you can lose games to anybody on a bad shooting night, which is part of the reason why we have been upset rather more frequently under KO.

We had top 20 offenses 2 of the 4 Calhoun years immediately proceeding KO and had a few top 10 years during that decade.

I'm not saying he can't improve as an offensive coach, but he hasn't done a very good job on that side of the ball thus far.

He can coach offense, but it's fair to question whether his schemes are being applied in a way that fits the personnel.

This isn't just an Ollie thing, though. Calhoun's teams ran similar offenses that were highly dependent on the skills of one or two guards, and some of his lesser teams, particularly later in his career, resembled the same train-wreck in the half-court that we are seeing now.

Ollie's offense, at it's best, should naturally inspire a lot of passing. Instead, it seems to have the opposite effect. We are constantly among the worst in the nation when it comes to assists per game (or at least that's the way it seems). Contrast that to a team like SMU, whose offense is predicated on skilled bigs who can pass, catch, and score, and it's interesting to consider whether we should re-define our approach. They had 28 assists in their opener. Sometimes I wonder if we'll get that many in a month.

Of course, we don't have the personnel to run that kind of system. Brimah and Facey still looked like they just picked up a basketball and Larrier is probably to skinny to play inside/out. But maybe that falls on development.

Reaction Score
It took a while for this guy to win it seems?

Coaching Record

1972-73 Northeastern Ind 26 19 7 .731 -10.77 -10.00
1973-74 Northeastern Ind 23 12 11 .522 -10.67 -7.90
1974-75 Northeastern Ind 24 12 12 .500 -15.49 -6.69
1975-76 Northeastern Ind 25 12 13 .480 -15.80 -7.87
1976-77 Northeastern Ind 26 12 14 .462 -13.29 -8.23
1977-78 Northeastern Ind 26 14 12 .538 -11.06 -10.38
1978-79 Northeastern Ind 26 13 13 .500 -6.99 -7.17
1979-80 Northeastern ECACN 27 19 8 .704 -5.53 -6.31 Reg. Season Champion
1980-81 Northeastern ECACN 30 24 6 .800 -2.37 -5.99 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1981-82 Northeastern ECACN 30 23 7 .767 -0.19 -4.94 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1982-83 Northeastern ECACN 28 13 15 .464 -7.98 -6.64
1983-84 Northeastern ECACN 32 27 5 .844 3.06 -4.84 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1984-85 Northeastern ECACN 31 22 9 .710 2.37 -4.49 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1985-86 Northeastern ECACN 31 26 5 .839 3.70 -5.24

You have made the best argument of all for patience. Kudos!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He can coach offense, but it's fair to question whether his schemes are being applied in a way that fits the personnel.

This isn't just an Ollie thing, though. Calhoun's teams ran similar offenses that were highly dependent on the skills of one or two guards, and some of his lesser teams, particularly later in his career, resembled the same train-wreck in the half-court that we are seeing now.

Ollie's offense, at it's best, should naturally inspire a lot of passing. Instead, it seems to have the opposite effect. We are constantly among the worst in the nation when it comes to assists per game (or at least that's the way it seems). Contrast that to a team like SMU, whose offense is predicated on skilled bigs who can pass, catch, and score, and it's interesting to consider whether we should re-define our approach. They had 28 assists in their opener. Sometimes I wonder if we'll get that many in a month.

Of course, we don't have the personnel to run that kind of system. Brimah and Facey still looked like they just picked up a basketball and Larrier is probably to skinny to play inside/out. But maybe that falls on development.
I disagree. I find Calhoun's offensive and defensive strategy completely different.

How many times has Ollie came out with a press?

How many times does Ollie run a zone motion offense to get a big a good shot to score on a screen switch?

How many times did Calhoun come up with an inbounds play that led to an easy basket? How about Ollie? A handful in 2014?

Calhoun's teams, even with a young front court, still went down low more than 10 times a game.

The differences are very clear. I would say Ollie promotes an awkward pace that stresses up tempo but only when the opportunity is perfect. Otherwise let's go Georgetown-type tempo with no screener and no back cuts.

It's purely an NBA-style offense based around the modern pick and roll. The only time it really produced was when DeAndre Daniels was locked in to hit the pick and pop jumper. Otherwise it has been frustrating.

Reaction Score
It's actually been every single regular season since he took over.

With our talent the past few seasons it is a total indictment on the staff we haven't come anywhere near a regular season conference title.

Well, the probation year he actually did, what appeared to be, a good job. The championship year was shaky in the regular season, but not awful, and the end result was great. Then came an awful year. And then came another bad year which was somewhat salvaged, arguably, by a miracle 3/4 court shot.

He has some good things to point to, obviously, but the trajectory is very bad. Someone brought up Guthridge. Not a bad comparison, in terms of trajectory. The whole picture starts to point to, maybe, he did his best with another coach's players. If that is true, there are two possible reasons. One, he doesn't develop players as well. That could be on him or the staff HE CHOSE. The second possible reason is that he is recruiting the wrong players. We can argue all day about rankings but we all know the rankings can be flawed. Some players underachieve and some overachieve relative to their high school rankings. Calhoun seemed to do a much better job than most at picking out overachievers. Maybe Ollie doesn't have that same eye and/or maybe his staff doesn't.

On that latter reason, some people are still blaming the sanctions. If you are going to pull that card AT THIS POINT, I would respectfully request that you put a stake in the ground where you think the sanctions no longer had an impact. Was it the 2013 class? The 2014 class? The 2015 class? I mean, at some point, the impact goes to zero, right?

Reaction Score
How many guys on this board would want to coach Purvis, Facey, Brimah, and Enoch?
These were take anyone we can get guys and Ollie has done well keeping UConn relevant. He needs another big man transfer for next season. That should be his recruiting priority.

"Take anyone you can get guys?" Purvis was a McD AA, Facey top 100, Enoch top 75, and Brimah was a project.

Reaction Score
It took a while for this guy to win it seems?

Coaching Record

1972-73 Northeastern Ind 26 19 7 .731 -10.77 -10.00
1973-74 Northeastern Ind 23 12 11 .522 -10.67 -7.90
1974-75 Northeastern Ind 24 12 12 .500 -15.49 -6.69
1975-76 Northeastern Ind 25 12 13 .480 -15.80 -7.87
1976-77 Northeastern Ind 26 12 14 .462 -13.29 -8.23
1977-78 Northeastern Ind 26 14 12 .538 -11.06 -10.38
1978-79 Northeastern Ind 26 13 13 .500 -6.99 -7.17
1979-80 Northeastern ECACN 27 19 8 .704 -5.53 -6.31 Reg. Season Champion
1980-81 Northeastern ECACN 30 24 6 .800 -2.37 -5.99 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1981-82 Northeastern ECACN 30 23 7 .767 -0.19 -4.94 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1982-83 Northeastern ECACN 28 13 15 .464 -7.98 -6.64
1983-84 Northeastern ECACN 32 27 5 .844 3.06 -4.84 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1984-85 Northeastern ECACN 31 22 9 .710 2.37 -4.49 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1985-86 Northeastern ECACN 31 26 5 .839 3.70 -5.24

You know you are comparing a small, at first, independent school with a team who won 3 national titles in 12 years, right?

Reaction Score

I'm rewatching the game right now. We're a PNR offense and our bigs set abysmal screens. That could be a laziness thing, could be a coaching thing. Naturally there's less space to run a pro PNR because the 3 point line is closer, so it's easier to sag against and recover. The screens are all just a show, like they know they're just doing it to get to the next part of the play, not really making contact, and they're not having the desired movement impediment that would make the play actually work.

Edit- Hit enter post too soon.

So maybe partially because of that, we're not getting into the numbers ahead situations in penetrations that make defenders react and lead to passes to open bigs for layups or lobs to Brimah. Instead, if we penetrate, we're kicking it back out for an open 3. But we're only an iffy shooting team and that will lead to bad games like last night and ones where we hit shots and look unbeatable.

Reaction Score
You know you are comparing a small, at first, independent school with a team who won 3 national titles in 12 years, right?

He's also comparing two new, young coaches. There is a learning curve.

There's also conference realignment, apr (recruiting sanctions).

People mentioning his demeanor: I wonder if his home life (divorce) is weighing on him. Hopefully, he'll snap out of it.

I like the direction the recruiting is going in. I like the talent this team has (very young). Hoping for greater things.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This is a point that is lost on people. JC ran the same/similar offense. It was ugly as hell at times, especially with young guys or guys who didn't fit the system that well. I remember people on the board bitching all get out, saying JC was done, and couldn't evolve as a coach.

Thing is, right now, we don't have the players inside to do two main things: Rebound and pass (while being at least a mildly credible threat to score). KO really needs to get some guys who can do these two (or one at the bare minimum) things.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I disagree. I find Calhoun's offensive and defensive strategy completely different.

How many times has Ollie came out with a press?

How many times does Ollie run a zone motion offense to get a big a good shot to score on a screen switch?

How many times did Calhoun come up with an inbounds play that led to an easy basket? How about Ollie? A handful in 2014?

Calhoun's teams, even with a young front court, still went down low more than 10 times a game.

The differences are very clear. I would say Ollie promotes an awkward pace that stresses up tempo but only when the opportunity is perfect. Otherwise let's go Georgetown-type tempo with no screener and no back cuts.

It's purely an NBA-style offense based around the modern pick and roll. The only time it really produced was when DeAndre Daniels was locked in to hit the pick and pop jumper. Otherwise it has been frustrating.

Things like the press mostly died in the late 90s. Good teams don't need to press (gamble). Look at our defense, very strong despite no press.

If you throw it into the post with these bigs, it's either a turnover, or a shot that clangs off the rim and is rebounded by the other team. They have no presence inside at all. Not good rebounders, passers, or scorers.

Do you want them to turn it over repeatedly by constantly feeding the post?

Reaction Score
Wasn't Calhoun still around somewhat during Ollie's first 2 years as head coach? I think Calhoun must do some consulting for the team around tournament time. That's why they look so much more polished during the tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm rewatching the game right now. We're a PNR offense and our bigs set abysmal screens. That could be a laziness thing, could be a coaching thing. Naturally there's less space to run a pro PNR because the 3 point line is closer, so it's easier to sag against and recover. The screens are all just a show, like they know they're just doing it to get to the next part of the play, not really making contact, and they're not having the desired movement impediment that would make the play actually work.

Edit- Hit enter post too soon.

So maybe partially because of that, we're not getting into the numbers ahead situations in penetrations that make defenders react and lead to passes to open bigs for layups or lobs to Brimah. Instead, if we penetrate, we're kicking it back out for an open 3. But we're only an iffy shooting team and that will lead to bad games like last night and ones where we hit shots and look unbeatable.

That is a good point piggy-backing off of what @James said about Brimah setting terrible screens a few days ago. I was paying close attention to it on Friday, and the screens that AB set are just terrible, downright non-existent really.

I've been campaigning for a while for KO to initiate the pnr with the four man and allow Brimah to lurk the baseline. Unfortunately, that seems a lot less feasible with Larrier than it was with Miller, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Reaction Score
You have made the best argument of all for patience. Kudos!
Obviously you guys are clueless. Northeastern was a D2 program that was upgrading in the early 1970s. Of course you are going to have a tough time. It is completely NOT a valid comparison. Stupid in fact. Ollie has been lousy so far this year. Team is unprepared. Plays with no intensity and no apparent offensive plan.

Reaction Score
So-You-Were-Saying.jpg

Reaction Score
Many posters are putting too much of the blame for our loss on KO and the coaching staff without providing any substantive analysis. Questioning whether KO is a good coach or even the right man for the job is nothing short of ridiculous. Some reality and facts clearly establish that KO is a bona fide basketball coach.

This is the man that was handpicked by Jim Calhoun to be his successor. That fact in itself should be enough to know KO is the right man for the job. Jim Calhoun one of the greatest bball coaches of all time, who coached KO and had him as an assistant coach on his staff would know more than all of us whether KO can coach and develop players. Lebron James, Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant have raved about KO, Durant has been quoted saying Kevin Ollie "changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City." KO has spent 13 years in the NBA as a PG learning from the great basketball coaches such as Chuck Daly, Don Nelson, Larry Brown, and George Karl.

There are two major themes for those who put the blame on KO, that is 1) KO doesn't show enough fire when coaching during a game, 2) KO has failed at player development. On multiple occasions I have seen KO get after his players by both encouraging them and critiquing them. To expect KO to jump up and down the ENTIRE game yelling and screaming is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the ability of the players to make shots.

This notion that KO has failed to develop players is simply crazy. KO was the coach that helped develop Bazz into the star player that he was in 2014. KO was the coach that helped Daniel Hamilton go from a poor free throw shooter during his freshman year to the best free throw shooter in the conference last year. Jus this year I have witnessed the vast improvement that AG has made from the first exhibition game when he was taking a ton of bad shots to AG's game against Wagner where he made great decisions on when to shoot, when to drive, and when to dish, looking much improved from just a few weeks ago.

Different players develop at different rates. Some players simply never improve on a weakness, and its not necessarily out of lack of trying. If all players are able to improve on all their weaknesses then UConn and every other program would be churning out NBA level players every year. There are a few UConn players who clearly have limited games such as Brimah's rebounding and Purvis' left hand. For a 7fter not to be able to rebound is not on the coaching staff. There is only so much technique you can teach about rebounding but at the end its all about the player's desire to grab the boards. And for a guard to be unable to dribble with his left hand or finish layups that is also not on the coaching staff. There is only so much you can teach about making layups and dribbling with your weak hand, those fundamentals come down to the player.

There used to be a lot of criticism on KO's ability to recruit, much of that chatter has disappeared with our top 10 recruiting class and another solid start to our 2017 recruiting class. I have full faith that KO will get this ship right and this questioning of KO's coaching ability will also die down only to be replaced by posters nervous breakdowns when any rumor of KO to the NBA comes around. Its the same script for the Boneyard.

KO said from the beginning that this is a very talented but very young team. We will have our ups and downs through the season, but we will be ready come March. For those posters who think KO is not the right man for the job clearly state it in this thread so when KO has this team running on all cylinders we can remind you of how foolish you once were.
You were saying...

Reaction Score
Wagner is losing by 11 at the half to UMass Lowell but you're right, there is no substance to any of the criticisms. None.
Nope, you're right. For crying out loud Rick Barnes would bring talent like this to an elite 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom