The criticism against KO has no substance | The Boneyard

The criticism against KO has no substance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many posters are putting too much of the blame for our loss on KO and the coaching staff without providing any substantive analysis. Questioning whether KO is a good coach or even the right man for the job is nothing short of ridiculous. Some reality and facts clearly establish that KO is a bona fide basketball coach.

This is the man that was handpicked by Jim Calhoun to be his successor. That fact in itself should be enough to know KO is the right man for the job. Jim Calhoun one of the greatest bball coaches of all time, who coached KO and had him as an assistant coach on his staff would know more than all of us whether KO can coach and develop players. Lebron James, Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant have raved about KO, Durant has been quoted saying Kevin Ollie "changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City." KO has spent 13 years in the NBA as a PG learning from the great basketball coaches such as Chuck Daly, Don Nelson, Larry Brown, and George Karl.

There are two major themes for those who put the blame on KO, that is 1) KO doesn't show enough fire when coaching during a game, 2) KO has failed at player development. On multiple occasions I have seen KO get after his players by both encouraging them and critiquing them. To expect KO to jump up and down the ENTIRE game yelling and screaming is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the ability of the players to make shots.

This notion that KO has failed to develop players is simply crazy. KO was the coach that helped develop Bazz into the star player that he was in 2014. KO was the coach that helped Daniel Hamilton go from a poor free throw shooter during his freshman year to the best free throw shooter in the conference last year. Jus this year I have witnessed the vast improvement that AG has made from the first exhibition game when he was taking a ton of bad shots to AG's game against Wagner where he made great decisions on when to shoot, when to drive, and when to dish, looking much improved from just a few weeks ago.

Different players develop at different rates. Some players simply never improve on a weakness, and its not necessarily out of lack of trying. If all players are able to improve on all their weaknesses then UConn and every other program would be churning out NBA level players every year. There are a few UConn players who clearly have limited games such as Brimah's rebounding and Purvis' left hand. For a 7fter not to be able to rebound is not on the coaching staff. There is only so much technique you can teach about rebounding but at the end its all about the player's desire to grab the boards. And for a guard to be unable to dribble with his left hand or finish layups that is also not on the coaching staff. There is only so much you can teach about making layups and dribbling with your weak hand, those fundamentals come down to the player.

There used to be a lot of criticism on KO's ability to recruit, much of that chatter has disappeared with our top 10 recruiting class and another solid start to our 2017 recruiting class. I have full faith that KO will get this ship right and this questioning of KO's coaching ability will also die down only to be replaced by posters nervous breakdowns when any rumor of KO to the NBA comes around. Its the same script for the Boneyard.

KO said from the beginning that this is a very talented but very young team. We will have our ups and downs through the season, but we will be ready come March. For those posters who think KO is not the right man for the job clearly state it in this thread so when KO has this team running on all cylinders we can remind you of how foolish you once were.

Reaction Score
I still don't think you can deny that KO does have some clearly defined deficiencies at this point. I've seen some of the most well-regarded posters on here try to describe the offensive issues, but our 'sets' are such an amorphous mess that I've yet to see anybody be able to consistently describe any specifics as to what is actually wrong with the offense. That, to me, is a problem. There are a number of people around here who have been hardcore bball fans for the last 30+ years, and yet even these people have trouble diagnosing the team's issues. The only things I can discern is that KO seems to prefer an intentionally slow pace.

The other issue that is clear to me is that, regardless of what anyone thinks about Ollie & the rest of the staff's ability to develop players, Ollie clearly has trouble recognizing when certain players need to be removed from the game, or when certain lineups/looks are working and to stick with something like that longer than intended.

Reaction Score
KO can't coach offense.

Our highest finish in KenPom adjusted offense with him is 39 in the '14 title year. The pre-season (and 1 game) projection for this year is 74. Last year was 59, year before 100, and his first year 55.

We've had top 10 defensive finishes in that time period, but never even cracking a top 30 offense in possibly soon to be 5 years is pathetic. If you don't get easy or high % shots, you can lose games to anybody on a bad shooting night, which is part of the reason why we have been upset rather more frequently under KO.

We had top 20 offenses 2 of the 4 Calhoun years immediately proceeding KO and had a few top 10 years during that decade.

I'm not saying he can't improve as an offensive coach, but he hasn't done a very good job on that side of the ball thus far.

Reaction Score
Just because he was handpicked and played for and with a lot of big names does not immediately classify him as a good coach. He is extremely likable and is a UConn lifer that is obviously a special thing. But as Auror said, he is a bad offensive coach. The stats prove it and the product illustrates it. I can't stand hearing about our "pro style" offense being run by amateurs. It works in the pros because they are, you know, pros. It worked in 2014 b/c you had four true professionals on the court with Bazz, Boat, Niels, and DD three of whom could create their own shot. But without the right players, it simply because a one-on-one fest.

The "fire" concept is debatable. While he certainly still gets into/encourages players and obviously still cares, he seems noticeably different from his first two years. You hardly ever see him guarding nothing anymore or being as active. Does that mean he is not a good coach? No. But something is different. On the improvement front, you mentioned Bazz and DHam. Bazz absolutely got better his junior and senior year. So I'll give you that one. DHam did become a better free throw shooter. But the rest of his game was still inconsistent and he did not improve nearly as much as everyone expected. I can't quantify AG just yet. But that's it. We are seeing KOs second 4 year group come through right now. And other than DHam's free throw shooting and maybe a little bit of Amida, no one has really gotten any better. Omar regressed, Phil regressed, Facey regressed from his soph year, Amida has not improved as much as many thought he would, Purvis is the same player...

I'm not saying fire KO. But we have to start to notice that things are not changing. There is a lot of talent on the court this year. Young, but a lot of talent. There is no way that we should be struggling to put up 60 against a mid-major. At home. There is no excuse for constantly coming out flat and the players stating "we just did not come out with energy." There is no excuse to make zero adjustments until halftime.

Reaction Score
As of right now, I am not going to say that KO is a pretty good coach. Decent would be the word I would use to describe him for now as he continues to grow into a better/greater coach. The same song has been playing since he has recruited his own type of players. He has not done much after all of JC players have departed. Yes it was one game but it was one game that was an embarrasing loss at HOME! Our big men have tremendously continued to underachieved! If its the big man coach problem, its up to the primary coach to make the changes for improvement with the right hire/replacement! I have not given up yet but we can not continue to be an eye sore!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well said. It's been one game.

It's actually been every single regular season since he took over.

With our talent the past few seasons it is a total indictment on the staff we haven't come anywhere near a regular season conference title.

Reaction Score
1. Let Enoch play.
2. Learn to pass to the post.
3. A 4 guard offense will not win.
4. Do not let the opposing offense be comfortable up top. Watch Gabby Williams for example.
The talents there. It will come out in due time.

Reaction Score
KO is still a good coach with his deficiencies and I wouldn't want anyone to be at the helm. I think a lot of fans will continue having difficulties with changing expectations. We are likely done being a 1 or 2 seed every year, but how many teams are? UK and Duke? I am ok with that.

I expect us to be a NCAA tournament team ranked between 15 and 35 every year, with an elite team mixed in every few years when the talent is overwhelming (probably next year, esp. If KO lands Hami). This is status quo for a lot of very good programs.

Recruiting is still the most important skill for a coach and is a spot where KO excels. Bringing in an elite big who can score could show all my thoughts to be extremely pessimistic anyways.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some criticisms of Ollie are valid.

He's year five in to his head coaching career and patterns do emerge. It doesn't mean he won"t ever change or adapt.

As of now if you are a UConn basketball fan you can expect a lack of big man development, an above average defensive efficiency and below average offensive efficiency.

Reaction Score
58 points at home against Wagner and the criticisms aren't valid? We did nothing to establish a better tempo. Purely unacceptable.

Too many low scoring games under KO. The winning % goes way up when the tempo pushes the games into the 70's.

Reaction Score
I'll take the results Kevin Ollie delivers and enjoy watching the games. On net we will win enough to be in the chase at the end, and continue recruiting excellent talent. Big Man complaints seem to long for the Calhoun days and make me chuckle - they totally dismiss that for at least 10 years with Calhoun they described us as the 'Doughnut Hole' team because we had a big hole in the middle year after year with no serviceable big men according to those complaining at the time. This trope we heard year after year has to be remembered by long time fans. I never really bought in that we were a 'Donut Hole', but we hadn't had an Emeka or lead the NCAA in Blocks year after year. Get a Bamba, a Zach Brown that sticks, or a healthy Juwan Durham, ...

Reaction Score
He outcoached Billy Donovon, Tom Izzo, and Calipari in a week in 2014. He is a good coach and the entire program could collapse without him. He knows what UConn is about and sees us as a program that should be considered one of the best in the country. A new coach coming in could see UConn as simply a stepping stone, especially since we aren't in a Power 5 conference. We need Ollie...and yes we need Ollie to be better, but lets see how we are doing after 10 games or so.

Reaction Score
Many posters are putting too much of the blame for our loss on KO and the coaching staff without providing any substantive analysis. Questioning whether KO is a good coach or even the right man for the job is nothing short of ridiculous. Some reality and facts clearly establish that KO is a bona fide basketball coach.

This is the man that was handpicked by Jim Calhoun to be his successor. That fact in itself should be enough to know KO is the right man for the job. Jim Calhoun one of the greatest bball coaches of all time, who coached KO and had him as an assistant coach on his staff would know more than all of us whether KO can coach and develop players. Lebron James, Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant have raved about KO, Durant has been quoted saying Kevin Ollie "changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City." KO has spent 13 years in the NBA as a PG learning from the great basketball coaches such as Chuck Daly, Don Nelson, Larry Brown, and George Karl

Dean Smith handpicked Bill Guthridge to be his successor. He took them to 2 Final Fours in his 3 years as Head Coach. So what?

Reaction Score
I love KO and wouldn't want any other coach. He is a great recruiter. That said, some of the criticisms do have substance. If your team only passes into the paint 12 times in a game, something is wrong with the way you are running your offense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a good coach, very good recruiter. He has weaknesses...absolutely. His offense is essentially a 1990's NBA offense, and is entirely too reliant on individual players breaking down their man. It worked with players like Walker and Bazz, but it's an offensive system that is too easily defended.

The game has evolved. The Warriors have been dominant playing an entirely different style of ball, one which reduces the impact of any one great player. Bilas tweeted this morning that UNC had 26 assists on 34 baskets. That's where the game is headed. UConn vs. Wagner...9 assists. Only Adams had more than one. That's putrid. Wagner had 5 guys with 2 or more assists.

I will be watching to see some ball movement tomorrow. The strength of this UConn team is that it should have the depth to have multiple players in double figures every game, and different players. It should excel in a ball movement offense.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
How many guys on this board would want to coach Purvis, Facey, Brimah, and Enoch?
These were take anyone we can get guys and Ollie has done well keeping UConn relevant. He needs another big man transfer for next season. That should be his recruiting priority.

Reaction Score
It took a while for this guy to win it seems?

Coaching Record

1972-73 Northeastern Ind 26 19 7 .731 -10.77 -10.00
1973-74 Northeastern Ind 23 12 11 .522 -10.67 -7.90
1974-75 Northeastern Ind 24 12 12 .500 -15.49 -6.69
1975-76 Northeastern Ind 25 12 13 .480 -15.80 -7.87
1976-77 Northeastern Ind 26 12 14 .462 -13.29 -8.23
1977-78 Northeastern Ind 26 14 12 .538 -11.06 -10.38
1978-79 Northeastern Ind 26 13 13 .500 -6.99 -7.17
1979-80 Northeastern ECACN 27 19 8 .704 -5.53 -6.31 Reg. Season Champion
1980-81 Northeastern ECACN 30 24 6 .800 -2.37 -5.99 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1981-82 Northeastern ECACN 30 23 7 .767 -0.19 -4.94 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1982-83 Northeastern ECACN 28 13 15 .464 -7.98 -6.64
1983-84 Northeastern ECACN 32 27 5 .844 3.06 -4.84 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1984-85 Northeastern ECACN 31 22 9 .710 2.37 -4.49 NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
1985-86 Northeastern ECACN 31 26 5 .839 3.70 -5.24

Reaction Score
I don't think there would be this criticism if it was just one game. I think the criticism has been building the last couple years and now every bad loss it comes up.

I'm not going to blame this one loss on Ollie. That being said I don't think he did a particularly great job with last year's team for a variety of reasons. That opinion was based on 30+ games. So I'll wait until the end of the year before I judge the job he did with this year's team. I don't want to do that game to game.

Reaction Score
This is a tough crowd as this was going to be a tough start to the season based on experience. UConn lost 3 of their top 4 minute guys, 4 of their top 7 scorers, their top 2 rebounders, 5 of their top 6 3-point shooters, and 4 of their top 6 assist leaders. Plus, the best players on the team are not the senior leaders, but the freshmen and sophomores. That is going to take some time to sort out, not to mention figuring out the rotations. If the 3 seniors were better, Ollie would have a much easier time.

The biggest weakness on this team appears to be rebounding. Ollie has a tough choice: Brimah is not a good rebounder and Facey is a decent rebounder, but he does not have a tough defensive presence in the middle and Enoch is still raw. I think this team needs rebounding over a defensive presence and I would play Facey and Enoch more over Brimah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom