The Conference Based on Money | The Boneyard

The Conference Based on Money

Reaction Score
So Nonprofit Colleges Online listed the Top 50 profitable nonprofit colleges in the World. Imagine the conferences if some of these teams decided to put their teams where their money is. This doesn't include the Ivy League schools.

East Division
Boston College - #48
Richmond - #41
Purdue - #40
North Carolina - #36
Penn State - #31
Pittsburgh - #30
Ohio State - #27
Vanderbilt - #26
Virginia - #22
Duke - #18

West Division
Wisconsin - #42
Washington - #37
USC - #24
Rice - #23
Northwestern - #14
Notre Dame - #11
Texas A&M - #10
Michigan - #9
Stanford - #5
Texas - #4

Other schools vying for inclusion: (based on: The 100 Richest Universities: Their Generosity and Commitment to Research 2017 | The Best Schools)

Minnesota
Illinois
Michigan State
Indiana
Georgia Tech
UCLA
Boston University
California
George Washington
VCU
Oklahoma
Georgetown
Kansas
Florida
Nebraska
TCU
SMU
Delaware
Iowa
Tulane
Cincinnati
Lehigh
Syracuse
Baylor
Wake Forest
Texas Tech
Kentucky
Tennessee
Rutgers
Utah
Colorado
Saint Louis

There are some conspicuous schools not in this list...would be interesting indeed. Not realistic but interesting.

Reaction Score
Interesting?

OK.

How about a conference of schools from states that end in "A"?

Or a conference of schools that have a feline for a mascot?

Or a conference of schools from the USDA Planting Zones?

You have a long way to go to exhaust your imagination.

Reaction Score
After watching some of the NCAA Women's Beach Volleyball Tournament now ongoing, how about a conference based on teams that play Women's Beach Volleyball.

West:

UCLA
Hawaii
Cal
Southern Cal
Stanford
Arizona

East:

Florida State
LSU
South Carolina
FAU
Tulane
Georgia State

Reaction Score
Interesting?

OK.

How about a conference of schools from states that end in "A"?

Or a conference of schools that have a feline for a mascot?

Or a conference of schools from the USDA Planting Zones?

You have a long way to go to exhaust your imagination.

Exactly. Lol

Reaction Score
Good...you have a sense of humor...& that is a gift often over looked.

I was honestly thinking about pitching a conference that pits Space Grant vs. Land Grant schools against one another.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
So for some reason, my brain decided to sim this league. With the two divisions in place, I created 11 game schedules for each team -- 9 are in division, with two randomly assigned interdivisional games.

The sim will end with a playoff -- each division will have a wild card game between the second and third place finishers, the winner playing the top seed in the division championship. The winners of the division championships will meet in the @YoungFree Cup.

The sim engine didn't have enough data on Richmond, so I swapped them out for the next closest team on the "almost' list above (Delaware). The two teams finished within a game of each other last season, within 6 RPI slots, and played a double overtime regular season game, so I think it's a fair swap!

I'm halfway through the sim with these standings:

East
Ohio State
5- 0
Vanderbilt 4- 1
Boston College 4-1
Penn State 3-2
Purdue 2-3
Pitt 2-3
North Carolina 2-3
Duke 1-4
Virginia 0-5
Delaware 0-5

West
Notre Dame
4-1
USC 4-1
Northwestern 4-1
Wisconsin 4-1
Stanford 3-2
Texas A&M 2-3
Washington 2-3
Michigan 2-3
Texas 2-3
Rice 0-5

If you're as crazy and Strat-O-Matic-like as me, you can see the full results through week 5 here (use the tabs at the bottom of the page to navigate rules, standings, schedule, etc.). I'll finish up the sim when time permits!

Reaction Score
So for some reason, my brain decided to sim this league. With the two divisions in place, I created 11 game schedules for each team -- 9 are in division, with two randomly assigned interdivisional games.

The sim will end with a playoff -- each division will have a wild card game between the second and third place finishers, the winner playing the top seed in the division championship. The winners of the division championships will meet in the @YoungFree Cup.

The sim engine didn't have enough data on Richmond, so I swapped them out for the next closest team on the "almost' list above (Delaware). The two teams finished within a game of each other last season, within 6 RPI slots, and played a double overtime regular season game, so I think it's a fair swap!

East
Ohio State
5- 0
Vanderbilt 4- 1
Boston College 4-1
Penn State 3-2
Purdue 2-3
Pitt 2-3
North Carolina 2-3
Duke 1-4
Virginia 0-5
Delaware 0-5

West
Notre Dame
4-1
USC 4-1
Northwestern 4-1
Wisconsin 4-1
Stanford 3-2
Texas A&M 2-3
Washington 2-3
Michigan 2-3
Texas 2-3
Rice 0-5

If you're as crazy and Strat-O-Matic-like as me, you can see the full results through week 5 here (use the tabs at the bottom of the page to navigate rules, standings, schedule, etc.). I'll finish up the sim when time permits!

Dude! That's crazy! What is this sim software/tool you are using?!

My kids make fun of me because I create brackets and new leagues all the time when I play NCAA Basketball 09 on PS3.

From your rankings above I am a little flabergasted that Virginia is 0-5. I can't get to your dropbox link at work so I'll have to check it out at home.

Reaction Score
Boston College 4-1
North Carolina 2-3
Duke 1-4
Virginia 0-5

No way does that happen, ever. I would be comfortable in betting anything against that ever happening.

As for UNC, Duke and Virginia going a combined 3-12 in 15 games, at any part of the season, not in our life time!

Fun sim just the same.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My kids make fun of me because I create brackets and new leagues all the time when I play NCAA Basketball 09 on PS3.

You have kids old enough to make fun of you? I had this image that you were like 17.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
No way does that happen, ever. I would be comfortable in betting anything against that ever happening.

As for UNC, Duke and Virginia going a combined 3-12 in 15 games, at any part of the season, not in our life time!

Fun sim just the same.

Should have been more clear -- this is a football sim.

At the halfway point SOS is not equal, so BC has opened up a bit of a lead on its ACC brethren. UNC has been inconsistent, getting shut out at Notre Dame and also handing USC its only loss.

Reaction Score
This writer is even crazier than me:

The most radical NCAA conference realignment plan you've ever seen

Put UConn in the Big Apple Conference which looks like we would dominate...stupid we aren't in the New England conference. Could very well move up this chain into the "Championship 16".

I honestly don't understand some of the logic though. You are telling me that BYU and Utah are in the second tier of schools above Washington (3rd tier) and California (4th tier)? And then they have Norhtern Illinois, Navy, Kansas State, and Oregon State above Cal, San Diego State, Memphis, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, UCF, USF, and many others.

Someone would need to put more logic into this if this would hold any water in the "what-if" universe.

Reaction Score
Should have been more clear -- this is a football sim.

At the halfway point SOS is not equal, so BC has opened up a bit of a lead on its ACC brethren. UNC has been inconsistent, getting shut out at Notre Dame and also handing USC its only loss.
That is my bad, totally makes sense now, haha. I would bet on it happening, well BC I would be shocked if they did better than 3-2 however!

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Magical age... my only will be 13 in 9 days. Dear GOD, is it bad to research boarding schools?

Nope. We researched military schools with our 14 year old. They are just a bit expensive.

Reaction Score

East
Ohio State
5- 0
Vanderbilt 4- 1
Boston College 4-1
Penn State 3-2
Purdue 2-3
Pitt 2-3
North Carolina 2-3
Duke 1-4
Virginia 0-5
Delaware 0-5

West
Notre Dame
4-1
USC 4-1
Northwestern 4-1
Wisconsin 4-1
Stanford 3-2
Texas A&M 2-3
Washington 2-3
Michigan 2-3
Texas 2-3
Rice 0-5

OMFG. I haven't seen the word "Strat-O-Matic" for literally generations. Many, many hours spent with that in my childhood.

I'm floored that someone else is as fossilized as I am.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
OMFG. I haven't seen the word "Strat-O-Matic" for literally generations. Many, many hours spent with that in my childhood.

I'm floored that someone else is as fossilized as I am.

I still play at

Strat-O-Matic 365

Leagues are a little steep at $19.95 a pop, and there are lots of seasoned "pros" over there who win most leagues (and thus corner the market on free teams). Still a fun pastime, though. If you're interested, let me know and I'll put a feeler out to see if we can field a Boneyard Strat league!

Reaction Score
I still play at

Strat-O-Matic 365

Leagues are a little steep at $19.95 a pop, and there are lots of seasoned "pros" over there who win most leagues (and thus corner the market on free teams). Still a fun pastime, though. If you're interested, let me know and I'll put a feeler out to see if we can field a Boneyard Strat league!

I'm not sure I can imagine playing on line. But I'll have to look at the site. Thanks.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
So I finally had a free few minutes to finish this sim. Here are the results:

East
Ohio State 11-0
Vanderbilt 8-3
Penn State 7-4
Boston College 7-4
Purdue 6-5
Pitt 5-6
Duke 4-7
North Carolina 3-8
Virginia 2-9
Delaware 0-11

West
Notre Dame 8-3
USC 8-3
Wisconsin 8-3
Northwestern 7-4
Texas A&M 6-5
Washington 5-6
Michigan 5-6
Stanford 5-6
Texas 5-6
Rice 0-11

Wild Card Playoffs
EAST
Penn St 28
Vandy 17
WEST
Wisconsin 0 USC 40

Division Champsionships
EAST

Penn St 7 Ohio State 55
WEST

USC 7 Notre Dame 38

@YoungFree Cup
(Neutral Site, at Rentschler Field)

Notre Dame 24 Ohio State 34

Ohio State goes 13-0 to win the league.

Interesting games of note:
Closest game: Vanderbilt 7, BC 6
Biggest Blowout: Notre Dame 91, Rice 3

As before, the full data set is available here if anyone is interested!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom