The Commission on College Basketball will share its recommendations Wednesday, April 25... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Commission on College Basketball will share its recommendations Wednesday, April 25...

Reaction Score
The minimal, shallow (not in-depth) reading I have done and the comments my guys here at work have been sharing lead me to believe this deal is more beneficial to the NBA and private companies like Nike, Addidas, etc.

I personally haven't been a fan of the NBA since the late 90s and this is gonna make college basketball not the sport it has been since the turn of the century. But then again the only professional sports team that I really follow is the Patriots.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Surely this is not a serious question but meant in jest somehow..I just do not know how.

?
Making UNI a place of learning first

UNI = Univ of Northern Illinois/Iowa/Indiana etc

Reaction Score
Why not address the elephant in the room? Making UNI a place of learning first and foremost and maintaining coherent standards across the board, athlete or not. Like basically everywhere else in the world.

Also, paying the players is not coherent with the academic mission, vision and goals stated by most, if not all, UNIs. If players want to get paid, let them jump from HS directly to the NBA or the G-league. Keep UNI for the kids who want to be students too for the 3 or 4 years required to get a degree.

So are you going to force schools to actually abide by meaningful limits on the amount of time athletic programs can demand from these kids? Because the notion that these universities give a flying c k whether these kids receive a real education is laugh out loud funny. Based on your post, I'd wager that you don't have the slightest idea how these programs actually operate. Blaming the athletes is certainly an interesting take.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Letting kids use their image/likeness or personal brand to make money is obvious.

There should never be another Jeremy bloom case or another issue a ucf kicker ever again. Those were absolutely ridiculous stances by the NCAA to challenge either of them.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If they enforce a lifetime ban for cheating, there won't be enough coaches left to go around for all the NCAA schools. :eek:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No recommendation to replace the leadership? #breadisbuttered

The fact that Emmert is in lock step with this is hilarious. I didn't expect anything different obviously. But business as usual.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Increasing the penalty for a level 1 violation to allow a five year postseason ban... damn, thatd reallyyyy hurt those schools.

Especially with selective enforcement. Which would continue.

Anything that hurts the Presidents' and NCAA's gravy train will be squashed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

They're not gonna touch the 3-4 scholarship thing I'm betting. If they do go that route, it needs to really well thought out. Not as simple as just locking a kid's scholarship for 3-4 if he leaves early.

Reaction Score

Welcome to the Spin Zone.

They're not gonna touch the 3-4 scholarship thing I'm betting. If they do go that route, it needs to really well thought out. Not as simple as just locking a kid's scholarship for 3-4 if he leaves early.

Think that was a contingency of the NBA not removing 1 and done, which seems likely to be gone by 2020.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If they enforce a lifetime ban for cheating, there won't be enough coaches left to go around for all the NCAA schools. :eek:
False. There are plenty of coaches in the Boneyard that can replace them and do a better job.

Reaction Score
It has some sensible stuff but a guy leaves after a year to sign an NBA deal and they are going to pay his tuition to finish school? Please. Give that money to some kid who is struggling to actually, you know, get an education.

Reaction Score
Basically it sound like there are some legitimate things and some silly/pr things. As to be expected.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like what?

The thing I worry about is that a recruiting class bailing after a year would be a de facto death penalty.

Reaction Score
Lost in the major recommendations - the commission also recommended keeping the sit a year for transferring rule.

Also, sounds like the recommendation for punishments of level 1 violations is to mandate the death penalty to a university. About time someone with a voice to the NCAA had the balls to say it.

Reaction Score
The biggest flaw in the commissions report is its attempt to exempt the NCAA from responsibility for the corruption that has over taken the sport. It blames the college presidents as it should, but it doesn't emphasize the presidents of certain schools are and have been the problem. The presidents of most schools I suspect are demanding of compliance. How do they not go hard after the organization whose responsibility it is to provide oversight for where its priorities lie. The questions that I do not see asked and therefore not answered in this report are 1) How did the NCAA not recognize that athletic apparel companies sponsorship of tournaments for high school athletes who were clearly pledged to them not a sign of potential benefits going to the athletes especially when they were almost always ending up at their apparel sponsored schools? 2) When most of the top rated players started picking the same few schools why wasn't that sudden change that then continued year after year for those same schools worth investigating by the NCAA? 3) Why is it that most coachs who were losing recruits to schools that were paying for them knew what was going on but didn't file a complaint with the NCAA, was there a fear of retribution. 4) Why when the signs of massive corruption are everywhere did the NCAA spend so much of its limited investigative resources on so many minor suspected infractions? Finally how could the NCAA justify the penalties to Syracuse and Louisville as being a deterrent at all for future cheating by those schools?

I would like to have seen a recommendation that the NCAA be required to issue a summary of all violations reported to them for all institutions for a moving 5 year period , its findings of facts and fault, the penalties issued and comparison of penalties to the severity of the finding and the justification for any significant difference of penalties for similar infractions.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Like what?

The thing I worry about is that a recruiting class bailing after a year would be a de facto death penalty.

So what? If any coach is dumb enough to recruit nothing but guys that leave after a year, let them fill out their rosters with walk-ons and live with the results. It would serve them right.

Reaction Score
So no discussion - AT ALL - of the root causes of how you got here in the first place. Step one in attempting to specify corrective action is to know the cause. Without that, your actions are not tied to the cause, and the cause can continue to exist.

Not really surprising. Everyone thinks they know how to make college basketball better. And some of those things might make it better. But without know the causes, you're relying on a strategy of hope and luck.

Reaction Score
So what? If any coach is dumb enough to recruit nothing but guys that leave after a year, let them fill out their rosters with walk-ons and live with the results. It would serve them right.
Agree 100%! If a kid transfers to or enrolls full time at another school, the scholarship becomes available. If he simply leaves college early, that scholarship stays locked up until his class graduates. That will keep coaches from hoarding one and dones or they will pay the price for being stupid. One and dones should be used to fill a gap, not as a way to fill a team.

Reaction Score
Increasing the penalty for a level 1 violation to allow a five year postseason ban... damn, thatd reallyyyy hurt those schools.
Similar to mandatory jail sentences, this would remove the inequity of applying violation penalties. 5 years would be an SMU type penalty for all schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom