The college football playoff should be 25 teams, let me explain. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The college football playoff should be 25 teams, let me explain.

Reaction Score
Its been settled on the field they won it all theres no debate.
But with all due respect you are simming for indvidial games, not tournaments. Those indvidial Sims don't take into account that each game is part of a larger tourney and thus don't account for fatigue and higher likelyhood of injuries from the underdog after so many games as well as the favored teams extra rest and time to plan. I think it would actually be quite hard and quite the task to sim a single tourney, as a whole. You can't really use indvidial games as a basis for seeing how a pretend tourney goes.

For example your sim does not take into account the fact that c state plays 5 extra games in a short time against their sweet 16 opponent who has rested more and has much less fatigue and injuries...surely some of the players in the pretend sweet 16 match up for c state have been injured because of such a daunting task to get just to the sweet 16, never mind the final 4. A basic sim like what if doesn't account for that and other very real parameters that would need to be factored for. In no way does c state win a tourney like that in the real world BUT playoff need to expand beyond even 8 ....12 or 16 is perfect imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But with all due respect you are simming for indvidial games, not tournaments. Those indvidial Sims don't take into account that each game is part of a larger tourney and thus don't account for fatigue and higher likelyhood of injuries from the underdog after so many games as well as the favored teams extra rest and time to plan. I think it would actually be quite hard and quite the task to sim a single tourney, as a whole. You can't really use indvidial games as a basis for seeing how a pretend tourney goes.

For example your sim does not take into account the fact that c state plays 5 extra games in a short time against their sweet 16 opponent who has rested more and has much less fatigue and injuries...surely some of the players in the pretend sweet 16 match up for c state have been injured because of such a daunting task to get just to the sweet 16, never mind the final 4. A basic sim like what if doesn't account for that and other very real parameters that would need to be factored for. In no way does c state win a tourney like that in the real world BUT playoff need to expand beyond even 8 ....12 or 16 is perfect imo.

The most dangerous game for a 1 seed could very well be the first game because your facing a team that's fired up riding a wave of momentum with nothing to lose.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma State defeats Alabama in the 2011 National Championship.

Reaction Score
Alabama beats Florida to win the 2012 championship, and Florida State defeats Michigan State to win the 2013 national championship.

Reaction Score
By having a 4 or 8 team Playoff I've tuned off. Watching these games is of no value or interest to me because my team has never had the opportunity to even compete for a berth. It has no interest to me at all. The bowl games are already being termed useless money losers. TV viewing and attendance is dramatically down. The 4 or even the possible 8 game playoff has eliminated the interest for more than half of the football watching population (no statistics to back it up, just a feeling).

As for myself, I would be very interested in a playoff system were every team has a pathway to the National Championship. I would like to see a 16 team playoff where every FBS conference champion (10) gets a berth plus 6 at large bids. I believe a playoff of this nature would increase interest and revenue for all. Even the greedy P5 cartel.

Reaction Score
Alabama dominates Michigan State 45-3 to win the 2013 national championship.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
By having a 4 or 8 team Playoff I've tuned off. Watching these games is of no value or interest to me because my team has never had the opportunity to even compete for a berth. It has no interest to me at all. The bowl games are already being termed useless money losers. TV viewing and attendance is dramatically down. The 4 or even the possible 8 game playoff has eliminated the interest for more than half of the football watching population (no statistics to back it up, just a feeling).

As for myself, I would be very interested in a playoff system were every team has a pathway to the National Championship. I would like to see a 16 team playoff where every FBS conference champion (10) gets a berth plus 6 at large bids. I believe a playoff of this nature would increase interest and revenue for all. Even the greedy P5 cartel.
I agree with this. Then perhaps set up an additional 16 team "NIT" tournament, so other schools still have something to play for other than meaningless bowl games, which have essentially turned in to exhibitions nobody cares about.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I feel like schools are more focused on being bowl eligible than actually winning their bowl.

Reaction Score
5 P5 Conference Champions
Top G5 Champion
2 Wild Cards

It adds one game to the season. Why does it need to be any more complicated ?

This year might have played out like this:

1)Alabama
8)Washington

4)Oklahoma
5)UGA

3)ND
6)OSU

2)Clemson
7) UCF

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
5 P5 Conference Champions
Top G5 Champion
2 Wild Cards

It adds one game to the season. Why does it need to be any more complicated ?

This year might have played out like this:

1)Alabama
8)Washington

4)Oklahoma
5)UGA

3)ND
6)OSU

2)Clemson
7) UCF
With this format, we likely end up with the same four teams playing in the "semifinals" but I think Oklahoma/Georgia and ND/OSU would have been pretty entertaining games to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom