The college football playoff should be 25 teams, let me explain. | The Boneyard

The college football playoff should be 25 teams, let me explain.

Reaction Score
The top 15 teams get a triple bye, the 16 team gets a double bye, and the 17 team gets a bye, lowest ranked team plays the highest ranked team and you reseed as you go on for instance lets say the 16 team beats the 1 then you have the 16 team play the 2 in the next round should that team advance. The teams from 25-16 have a play in so let me explain.

25 vs 18, 24 vs 19, 23 vs 20, 22 vs 21, then the winner plays each other lets say all higher seeds win
18 vs 22, 19, vs 20, again lets say the higher seed wins
18 vs 19, winner plays the 17 team, once again lets say 18 wins
18 vs 17, winner plays 16 team so again lets say 17 wins
17 vs 16 winner plays number 1 team lets assume 16 team wins to play in the actual CFP

Now onto the 16 team CFP
1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs 10, 9 vs 8 (kind of like NCAA BB seeding) the difference is you reseed as you go so again lets say the higher seeded team wins

Elite 8
1 vs 9, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 3 vs 5 lower seeded team plays higher seeded team again well lets say higher seeded team wins

Final four
1vs 4, 2 vs 3, ok I think you get the idea by now.

I used what if sports on done a simulation on what if sports SimMatchup College Football - Free NCAA Matchup and College Football Sim Games I've done it each year from 96-08 so far and the tournament has been amazing.Ive been looking up the rankings and just run it along with what if sports. 1996 NCAA Division I-A football rankings - Wikipedia.

Reaction Score
Before people tell me it would make the regular season less meaningful no it wouldn't if your an 18-25 team you have to win 5 games just to make the 16 team tournament and win 9 games to win it all so its next to impossible but you have a shot. The number 1 team gets a huge advantage playing a tired team. So obviously there is huge motivation to being in the top 15.

Reaction Score
So if any of the 18th - 25th ranked team makes it to the championship game, they would play 9 games? When would these teams play all these games? They would be playing college football into March.

Reaction Score
So if any of the 18th - 25th ranked team makes it to the championship game, they would play 9 games? When would these teams play all these games? They would be playing college football into March.

It didnt stop Colorado State from winning it all in 97 when i did the simulation, they were ranked 21.

Reaction Score

Its all the more motivation to not be ranked above 18 top ideally top 15. Maybe every 2-3 days or something I guess I wouldn't care. Ok maybe just a 16 team tournament is more realistic I'm just establishing a basis for an expanded team tourney to show that this would work.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They should play it like the FA Cup parallel to the regular season with all 130 teams.

Reaction Score
Its all the more motivation to not be ranked below 18 ideally top 15. Maybe every 2-3 days or something I guess I wouldn't care. Ok maybe just a 16 team tournament is more realistic I'm just establishing a basis for an expanded team tourney to show that this would work.

Reaction Score
Not sure that would work but I would like to see an expansion to maybe 12 teams. Top four teams get byes. This year, in that system you'd have bama, Clemson, ndame and Oklahoma with byes playing four winners from the following: Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, UCF, Florida, Washington, wsu. Maybe add a stipulation of 3 maximum losses and top three finish in conference and seed teams to avoid rematches as long as possible being somewhat flexible with seeds. The 13th team can't complain as likely they shot themselves in the foot at some point in the season in this case likely psu, lsu or uk or Texas/wvu. Heck, with those 5 take Boise, miss St and utah or a and m and make a second tier nit tourney, probably a lot more meaningful than four random bowls. Also Not much crying over those missing out in the top 12 compared to the outrage felt by many of Georgia, Ohio State or UCF missing out this year. 12 teams lessens the outrage to an acceptable level while still keeping it a little, as I've always believed sports need a little controversy but not as much as the four team playoff currently has ..

Maybe even making it a rule that Top 4 bye teams would have to be conference champions...plus the absolute top teams are still reearded. I dunno would be much more fun to watch imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The top 4 teams should be conference champions. There has to be rewards for winning your conference or why have conferences.. Choosing the top 2 SEC teams plus two others is going to continue the decline in fan interest. This also makes Notre Dame join a conference.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, if I were to rip the format apart and start over I would do it along the following lines:

Conferences should be small enough that that everyone plays everyone every year. I actually liked that about the old Big East.

Each conference should be single table (10 teams max). No divisions or championship games.

Each conference gets a a bid to the tournament. There would need to be room for “at large” bids for “co champions “ in the event that happens. If not the at large bids can sweeten the pot for the so called “P5”. But there would need to be a uniform tie breaker criteria co champs to prevent funny business.

Seeding is real important here. If the best two teams were to come from the Sun Belt (hypothetical here) then they could be seeded 1 and 2 and not behind an auto qualifier from a conference.

Basically just copy the FCS playoff. Good grief. If the so called cost containment football division can do it then so can the FBS.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more. This isn't basketball, football players need a week to recover. At least I used to. They'd be playing into Spring Break. Lol

Reaction Score
I would give game to game results but it takes way too long so of course I will tell you the champions are from 96-08 in the 25 team playoff. What if sports only goes back as far as 1996, so here are the champs from each year.

96 Ohio State
97 Colorado State were ranked 21 btw so its not impossible
98 Florida State
99 V tech
2000 Florida State
01 Florida
02 Miami
03 USC
04 USC
05 Texas
06 Boise State
07 Oklahoma
08 Texas Tech

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could not agree more. This isn't basketball, football players need a week to recover. At least I used to. They'd be playing into Spring Break. Lol

It didnt stop Colorado State from doing it in 97 might be the most impressive run I've ever seen in any tournament.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

24 team playoff works perfectly in FCS and he regular season is still 11/12 games. That’s the model to follow IMHO.

Reaction Score
Boise State defeats Alabama in double OT to win the 2009 National Championship, amazing Boise State has won 2 National Championships. You get into these simulations its super addicting and way more exciting then any of these bowl games.

Reaction Score
Playstation coaches....

Heck...just have the whole thing run on a Playstation simi after the season and declare a winner....

Not as nutty as some proposals...

Reaction Score
Wisconsin wins the 2010 National Championship beating Boise State in the final, ironically Alabama was a 16 seed playing Auburn the 1 and knocked them off. What if sports loves being dramatic lol.

Reaction Score
Well they did but when I did the 25 team tournament on what if sports, Colorado State won it all.
OMG...and then I stopped reading any further.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom