The Civil Conflict - Diaco (audio) - Rivalry in the Making? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict - Diaco (audio) - Rivalry in the Making?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Through 14 years of football since the upgrade to division 1A went past point of no return to full go in summer of 2000, UCONN has not had opportunity to develop any real rivalry. I don't care to go through all the "conference" opponents we've played at one time or another since 1999. It's disheartening. We are where we are now - for the foreseeable future, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm glad that Diaco has embraced it. As JMoney noted, I also love listening the quirky guy - after a win. Let' win more, I say.

As for the concept of actually developing a trophy of some sort, a prize for a game? Gee, where have I read that idea discussed before? The boneyard? couldn't be..........

It's a great idea, and something that we do sorely lack as a football program - but it's understandable - because of the history of the athletic department and football program. I don't think there is another football program out there, that has anywhere near the same kind of historical track that we've got.

This kind of thing is not something that can be forced, but Diaco let some sparks fly, and somebody's got to do that - and I love it. Will it catch fire? probably not, but if you don't try - it's guaranteed not to happen.

The closest thing, I have ever considered to be a rival for UCONN football since making the upgrade official 14 years ago, was West Virginia. That was mostly 1 sided though, through 7 years, because I guarantee that WVU fans considered UCONN more a nuisance than a rival, in sharing 2 league titles with us.

The fan followings are what create the rivalries - and of this new league, I think that the passion of the ECU fan base, to go with the UCONN fan base has the greatest potential for sparks to generate into something big.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
As long as Stony Brook doesnt turn into a rivalry I'm good with whoever.

I see Maryland and Penn St started a new rivalry this weekend! Jazz watched over UConn and Maryland on Saturday I see.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Going to game Wed? I will be there. Daughter playing in Alumni pep band.

Yessir. Got my season tickets in the mail last week. Cant' wait!

Reaction Score
What impressed me most was he was willing to pay for the trophy and create the rivalry with is own cash. Kudos to bob. Shows he really cares about the school and the conference and is growing into big program. Not that it was ever in question but definitely shows a big level of dedication

pj

Reaction Score
I would like to see Army become a rival. That we pummel every year. Navy too. and BYU. Notre Dame. Any team with a national following.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
You know, after a pleasant tour of the UConn vs BC Hockey threads it struck me: Our biggest football rival is BC...whether we play them or not. duck* BCU!
GO DOGS!!

EDIT: It really is about the hate.

Reaction Score
Our true rivals are BC, Syracuse, and Rutgers. Temple is somewhat a rival. UMass and some old Big East schools are limping as rivals at the moment.

If we were in the B1G, we'd have the B1G East, Syracuse and BC. Temple might be forgotten.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Love it! A trophy has been formed and the countdown is on!

CGb_HNRWgAAMiEj.jpg

Although this thing is completely contrived and a little bit goofy, I still like it! Anything that puts a little more juice into our league games can only help. Also, I'm digging the fact that our logo is higher than theirs on the plate. Let's make sure our name goes on that thing first and often...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom