the Cincinnati UCLA mirror mirror | The Boneyard

the Cincinnati UCLA mirror mirror

Reaction Score
per Matt Norlander - ranking Cincy 12 & UCLA 80

UCLA: The Bruins are a wild card. I'm ranking them low out of expectation that Mick Cronin's style will need a little time to adjust to the players on this roster, and vice versa, but making the NCAAs wouldn't stun me at all. Cronin gets there way more often than not.

Cincinnati
No coach at a new spot inherits a better situation this season than 45-year-old John Brannen, who bumped up from Northern Kentucky to UC after Mick Cronin left his alma mater to take the UCLA job. Brannen will have a potential All-American in senior tweener Jarron Cumberland (18.8 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.6 apg, 38.8% 3-point shooting). Cumberland will probably put up gaudy enough stats that, if UC can be a top-15 team (I'm probably higher on Cincinnati than anyone else in national media), he'll have a chance at national player of the year. The Bearcats should have a nice blend of size, shooting, depth and a jolt from Brannen's system/style.

Doesn't this go both ways? How good could a Northern Kentucky Head Coach be ... to get this kind of ranking.

From my experience - in my great and unmatched wisdom phase - it is easier to get a TEAM to play a tough grind them out Defense and low-scoring game than a wide open efficient offensive style ... GIVEN the same prowess of head coach. And, I actually think Mick Cronin is very good. While I agree that Jarron Cumberland COULD be a all-American stud player (with the right system), this is the bizarro look that strikes me as wrong. I expect Mick to grind out a bunch of wins; that is what he does. He will have talent (maybe kids who didn't think they would play that way). My view of UCLA (I have a UCLA degree & UConn degree) is that the fanbase is starving for someone to really get good basketball played. Could UCLA really linger at near 80th best? Sure. Taking over a Program - particularly this one laden with high expectations always - is not easy. The real burn is "how good is John Brannen" that is he going to outperform Cronin?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
time out ... we both have Youncofski's? who knew?

Eric Youncofski is in his second season at UConn, hired as the Director of Basketball Operations on April 9, 2018, after serving in the same position on Coach Dan Hurley’s staff at the University of Rhode Island during the 2017-18 season.

Greg Youncofski enters his first season as the men’s basketball program’s Director of Recruiting/Player Personnel. He joined UCLA’s program in May of 2019 after having spent the previous six seasons on the coaching staff at the University of Cincinnati, working for head coach Mick Cronin.

Cmon man ... one of you had to know that both UConn & Cincy had a brother on the bench.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
time out ... we both have Youncofski's? who knew?

Eric Youncofski is in his second season at UConn, hired as the Director of Basketball Operations on April 9, 2018, after serving in the same position on Coach Dan Hurley’s staff at the University of Rhode Island during the 2017-18 season.

Greg Youncofski enters his first season as the men’s basketball program’s Director of Recruiting/Player Personnel. He joined UCLA’s program in May of 2019 after having spent the previous six seasons on the coaching staff at the University of Cincinnati, working for head coach Mick Cronin.

Cmon man ... one of you had to know that both UConn & Cincy had a brother on the bench.
Pretty common name. Why would you assume relation?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
From my experience - in my great and unmatched wisdom phase - it is easier to get a TEAM to play a tough grind them out Defense and low-scoring game than a wide open efficient offensive style ... GIVEN the same prowess of head coach. And, I actually think Mick Cronin is very good.
Sure. Taking over a Program - particularly this one laden with high expectations always - is not easy. The real burn is "how good is John Brannen" that is he going to outperform Cronin?

Cronin was an awful offensive coach and Brannen isn't.

His butthole probably isn't as tight in big moments either

Reaction Score

I know we are all in on Northeastern's coach going to UConn. Northern Kentucky to Cincinnati is a huge jump. So ... I think the jury is out. You could get Calhoun; you'd be lucky to get a Kevin Willard and not Kevin Bannon.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Brannen is an outstanding coach and will do well at UC.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

But no one can outdo the fighting leprechaun when it comes to histrionics and ranting. I can't wait until he gets in his first donnybrook on the west coast.

1571942252123.png

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But no one can outdo the fighting leprechaun when it comes to histrionics and ranting. I can't wait until he gets in his first donnybrook on the west coast.

View attachment 47418

I'm one of the few on here who will miss those histrionics. He's hilarious. I liked making fun of @kobe for it too

One day he will spontaneously explode like a supernova. will make for great tv.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom