The chips have fallen where they may...and I like where they've fallen | The Boneyard

The chips have fallen where they may...and I like where they've fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
By definition, a #1 seed is a top-5 team. Meanwhile, traditional rivals are historical pains in the neck and teams we'd like to avoid. The selection committee made the right calls as to who the #1 seeds were, and placed various squads such that they'd play UConn at some point over the next six rounds.

Well, some funny things happened. I was hoping UConn would not have to play the following teams:

• USF- we played and defeated them three times this season, and history doesn't favor beating any one team four times in a season.
  • Baylor- It was intense playing them during the BG years, it was the lowest MOV the Huskies enjoyed in the 2013-14 season, and we haven't played them since. Plus they were a #1 seed, so they must be pretty good at least.
  • Notre Dame- Argh! Make it stop!!!
  • Stanford- they broke our last streak in late 2014 and the 90-gamer in late 2010. I'd like to see a rematch, but not this tournament.
  • South Carolina- I don't fear them much at all, but USC East is just good enough that a Murphy's Law game is possible.
  • Maryland- The Terps gave us a run for our money at MSG. It could happen again.
  • Tennessee- No explanation needed.
First, South Carolina and Notre Dame were upset. Next, UCLA handled USF. Meanwhile, Washington heroically conquered Maryland and Stanford, Finally, Syracuse beat Tennessee.

And if that weren't enough, Oregon State beat Baylor! Talk about a program really getting exposed...or exposing itself.

In short, there were seven teams I preferred we not play this tournament, and none of them made it out of their respective brackets.

Yes, we still have to win two games to win the NC. Yes, the other three teams in the Final Four are accomplished and deserving. Yes, I know what they say about being careful what you wish for.

I'm just saying that UConn couldn't be in a better position, especially if The Big Three and our strong bench brings its characteristic laser-like focus to Indianapolis.

I'm also saying it may just be that, for all the hype, UConn isn't chasing history so much as fulfilling a destiny.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally I just like playing different teams instead of the same teams over and over.

We've played Oregon St., once, in 1995.(good year)
We've played Washington 3 times, but not since 2008.

Now we've played Syracuse a billion times (49, give or take a billion), so I'd rather play Washington if we get past Oregon St.

I too enjoy seeing new teams experience the FF. As long as it doesn't come at our expense. :D

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
On some other boards it's being mentioned that all these teams losing is a vast conspiracy to keep UConn winning. I don't think UConn needs the help, honestly.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
You know the FF activities they do with all the teams there have to be super awkward this year. The past few years most of the players knew each other and you would see videos of them on IG or YT with them talking to each other or whatever. This year not so much. A few players may know each other but man will it be different.

Reaction Score
Please explain why when you watch the teams that play Uconn in the tournament, they look awful in getting to the game where they play UConn. And, when they play UConn, they bring their "A" game like Texas, Mississippi State, the exception. If you watched the game between Oregon State and Baylor, you would have come to the conclusion that UConn would roll over these teams in the next game. But, Oregon State will come and play their hearts out for the chance to play in the National Championship game.

I watched Texas play in Austin 4 times this season including a Baylor game. They never played that good when I watched them. This was by far the best showing of Texas all season long. What I watched was not that team that played UConn. Go figure.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With all that said I don't mind what's her name from Oklahoma. :D Sheryl???
What's her name?

sherri_coale_vert_102512.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Please explain why when you watch the teams that play Uconn in the tournament, they look awful in getting to the game where they play UConn. And, when they play UConn, they bring their "A" game like Texas, Mississippi State, the exception. If you watched the game between Oregon State and Baylor, you would have come to the conclusion that UConn would roll over these teams in the next game. But, Oregon State will come and play their hearts out for the chance to play in the National Championship game.

I watched Texas play in Austin 4 times this season including a Baylor game. They never played that good when I watched them. This was by far the best showing of Texas all season long. What I watched was not that team that played UConn. Go figure.
Explanation: It is basketball. Played by young women who are barely out or still in their teen age years. Is there anything done by teenagers where the output is consistent?

Reaction Score
Explanation: It is basketball. Played by young women who are barely out or still in their teen age years. Is there anything done by teenagers where the output is consistent?
From my very weary experience as a parent, the only consistency is the inconsistency.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score

Do you really not understand why this happens? UConn is everyone's national championship. Of course they are going to play their hearts out against them. Texas should be motivated to play like that against Baylor every time, but they aren't. Just goes to show how amazing it is that Geno gets his teams to play as hard as they can against every single opponent.

And I would argue that the opposite of this is actually true - while these teams play hard, UConn has a habit of making good teams look very ordinary.

Reaction Score
-Seeing the 3 teams that made the final 4 this year i have to think that Uconn will be at least on par with them next year.If we take every player that Uconn will have next year and consider their approximate skill level and the coaching they will have i am quite confident that we will be in good shape when the tourny rolls around in 2017.Now on to Sunday and one game at a time to make history.I like our chances but remember,Geno doesn't have as good of a record in the semi's as he does in the finals.Oregon State has a whole week to prepare to study every move that Uconn has made this year and they seem to have an excellent coach.I can't imagine our seniors going out on anything but a positive note but stranger things have happened in the world of sports.I hope writing this puts the mojo in some kind of protective capsule right through next tuesday and another undefeated season is in the books.Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
-Seeing the 3 teams that made the final 4 this year i have to think that Uconn will be at least on par with them next year.If we take every player that Uconn will have next year and consider their approximate skill level and the coaching they will have i am quite confident that we will be in good shape when the tourny rolls around in 2017.Now on to Sunday and one game at a time to make history.I like our chances but remember,Geno doesn't have as good of a record in the semi's as he does in the finals.Oregon State has a whole week to prepare to study every move that Uconn has made this year and they seem to have an excellent coach.I can't imagine our seniors going out on anything but a positive note but stranger things have happened in the world of sports.I hope writing this puts the mojo in some kind of protective capsule right through next tuesday and another undefeated season is in the books.Go Huskies.

As an OSU fan, I really appreciate that UCONN fans are respectful, and smart enough to recognize that, while odds are clearly in UCONN's favor, UCONN will respect its opponent. OSU won't quit, no matter how the game goes. That much I know. And, like UCONN, OSU players are experienced, have logged many games as a unit, for over 3+ years. And they are a harmonious bunch. We are hoping for a competitive game, which draws even more respect to OSU, which will eventually swing a few more recruits to OSU. Love your blog. Thanks for allowing a rabid OSU fan to participate.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was concerned about, in order:

Notre Dame
Maryland
Baylor
Ohio State
DePaul
South Florida
Stanford

I didn't think that SC matched up well.

I think we have a huge advantage in experience. I also think that teams facing us for the first time are usually at a disadvantage, because they can't simulate the speed in practice.

That said, I think the other teams are hot and play unique styles. I hope our style trumps theirs. I like our chances, but we need to be on, play hard, play smart, defend like hell, and make shots. I would be perfectly happy with a couple of 80-50 victories.

There are lots of good players on the other teams, but I have confidence in the BIG 3. They are truly special.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The big Oregon State scoring threat, Jaime Weisner, had 2 points in the 2nd round and 38 in then 4th.
Pretty Bizarre.
Which version shows up will certainly impact the game
I wouldn't be surprised if Geno has Mo face guard her right off the bat to try to get her initially off her game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The big Oregon State scoring threat, Jaime Weisner, had 2 points in the 2nd round and 38 in then 4th.
Pretty Bizarre.
I wouldn't be surprised if Geno has Mo face guard her right off the bat to try to get her initially off her game.
I agree and like Mo, Kia, and Gabby as defenders.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have minded playing that team in the puke orange jerseys ;) And as much as I wanted to see Notre Dame & South Carolina play each other, I can't say I'm sad that they aren't there.

I think it's great that there are so many newbies at the FF (except for our kids, of course!) ... and boy-o, did they earn their way there! I do find it impressive (and a bit scary) that they'll bring their very best against us.

Then again ... all I ever want this time of year is for *every* kid to stay healthy, out of foul trouble, and to play their very best ... and for the officials not to screw it up .... and then let the chips fall where they may! :)

Reaction Score
I agree and like Mo, Kia, and Gabby as defenders.

I was at the OSU game where Jaime Weisner only scored 2 points...she was off, and coach pulled her and sat her most of the game. The game was over in first half, and, coach used the time to get many other subs tournament experience. OSU didn't need Jaime's scoring as it turned out in this early round game. What many overlook is that Jaime is an excellent defender, and rebounder. OSU has many ways to score, albiet, Jaime will need to score in double digits in the UCONN game for OSU to have a chance.

Reaction Score
Pretty Bizarre.

She is clearly their best scorer, leading the team at 17.5 per game during the regular season and 19.75 per game for the tournament (even with the 2 pt game). No reason not to make it difficult for their best scoring option. Probable let Nurse play Wiese straight up... and double Hamlin when she catches on block? She does seem to be the best passer with only 19 assist for the year.

Reaction Score
Want to win a national championship? 1. Have the best players. 2. Have the best coaches. 3. Have the most experience. We have all 3 - IN SPADES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom