The changing game of basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The changing game of basketball

Reaction Score
I don’t like the NBA any more or less than I used to; I just watch it less because I have a busier life. It seems like in both baseball and basketball, teams are moving to styles of play that are more efficient, but perhaps less interesting to watch for some. In baseball, strikeouts and home runs are increasing, resulting in fewer balls in play. I’ll be interested to see how the leagues adjust, whether through team adjustments or rule changes.

Reaction Score
This is wild to me. I'm curious, why do you find it boring? Outside of the Houston Rockets, I don't think NBA basketball has ever been as enjoyable to watch.
Honestly, I dont know. I honestly can't point to an exact thing but its like ive lost more and more interest over the years. Maybe its because ive never had a favorite team like I am with Uconn. Im a recent Knicks fan because of my nephew but thats not going so well lol!

Reaction Score
Sums it up for me too. We're probably a similar age: I'm 33, started loving the '92 Dream Team and grew up a big time Knicks fan. Once my sister enrolled into UConn when I was 9 years old, that's when I started spending more time watching college basketball than NBA basketball.
Actually im a bit older (44) and ive been a diehard Uconn fan since the dream season of `89-`90

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is wild to me. I'm curious, why do you find it boring? Outside of the Houston Rockets, I don't think NBA basketball has ever been as enjoyable to watch.

For me the Magic era Lakers and Bird era Celtics were the best. I love the running game from the Lakers especially. I hate half court isolation basketball. So the current game is far more interesting than the horrible Jordan/Kobe eras. Nothing more boring than a clear out one on one. I do like the ball movement now, but it still feels too analytics driven.

Reaction Score
For me the Magic era Lakers and Bird era Celtics were the best. I love the running game from the Lakers especially. I hate half court isolation basketball. So the current game is far more interesting than the horrible Jordan/Kobe eras. Nothing more boring than a clear out one on one. I do like the ball movement now, but it still feels too analytics driven.

I cannot stand watching Houston play. I appreciate Harden's offensive talent, which is incredible, but I will probably not watch a Rockets game until they inevitably flame out in the playoffs. I just think the collective skill level in the league is astounding these days. Conversely - to use a Calhoun favorite - I watch less and less college basketball every year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I cannot stand watching Houston play. I appreciate Harden's offensive talent, which is incredible, but I will probably not watch a Rockets game until they inevitably flame out in the playoffs. I just think the collective skill level in the league is astounding these days. Conversely - to use a Calhoun favorite - I watch less and less college basketball every year.

I can’t say I watch a ton of regular season NBA. But I’m a Celtics fan and like Brad’s offense, especially with Kemba running it. I loved the Atlanta Hawks of 4-5 years ago. No stars and they still won a ton of games by just playing great team basketball. Toronto last year was a good squad. The Warriors before Durant. Some older Spurs teams.

Give me a team that’s better than its parts. That doesn’t rely on individuals breaking down people one on one. That’s why I hated Ollie’s offense. And dislike Hurley’s and Calhoun‘s at the end. They all go back to the late 90s and 00s isolation approach. Ollie was in the league then so I get why that’s his style.

Reaction Score
NBA is bigger, stronger, faster, and more efficient than it has ever been. I watch college--especially the low and mid-majors--because I enjoy watching amateurs do what they love. But if you think the NBA is an inferior product you just don't know what you're looking at. The spacing, motion, creativity to get layups/rim runs, the passing/shooting ability of big men, the guards footwork... all lightyears better than it was in the early 2000s.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
NBA is bigger, stronger, faster, and more efficient than it has ever been. I watch college--especially the low and mid-majors--because I enjoy watching amateurs do what they love. But if you think the NBA is an inferior product you just don't know what you're looking at. The spacing, motion, creativity to get layups/rim runs, the passing/shooting ability of big men, the guards footwork... all lightyears better than it was in the early 2000s.

That is what struck me about those charts. That doesn’t happen unless the execution of the offense is nearly flawless. Across every team. They all have the same analytics and the results show just how well they execute the plan. Way better than 15 years ago. And less fun than 25 years ago.

Reaction Score
That is what struck me about those charts. That doesn’t happen unless the execution of the offense is nearly flawless. Across every team. They all have the same analytics and the results show just how well they execute the plan. Way better than 15 years ago. And less fun than 25 years ago.

I can agree with that. Later 90s early 2000s was the nadir of NBA basketball. In my mind the 80s and early/mid- 90s was different because of the intense rivalries and some individual incredible talents, less than the beauty of the offense/defense.

Reaction Score
What's a 7 foot person supposed to do in life, if they become obsolete in basketball?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yup. Its an absolute bore fest. I used to watch regular season games all the time growing up in the 90s. Still watched in the early 00`s. 10`s was only watching playoffs and over the last decade or so I'm barely even watching the Finals.

Knicks beat the Heat 77-73 in 1997. Are you saying that was better basketball than today?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
May have been my age, maturity level, and the team I followed closest, but I remember the mid 80s/early 90s being the best time for basketball. There was a certain artistry to the '86 Celtics with the dichotomy of their play and the Showtime Lakers and Bad Boy Pistons.

After Jordan retired the 2nd time (after Ring 6), I feel the NBA lost their way a bit. It was sort of a transitional period, where they lost some fans for good and had to work hard to bring them and others back. It's been fairly decent, though I've followed college closer, for the last 15 or so seasons.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Knicks beat the Heat 77-73 in 1997. Are you saying that was better basketball than today?
Can tell anything painfully little by just the final score.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the rock fights of the late 90's are better than the game today needs their head examined. That said, I don't care for how homogenized the NBA game has become. Everyone is trying to do the same thing, looking for the same types of players etc. The lack of variety does take away from it. There is no such thing as contrasting styles anymore, even if the style of play is better now than it was 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
May have been my age, maturity level, and the team I followed closest, but I remember the mid 80s/early 90s being the best time for basketball. There was a certain artistry to the '86 Celtics with the dichotomy of their play and the Showtime Lakers and Bad Boy Pistons.

After Jordan retired the 2nd time (after Ring 6), I feel the NBA lost their way a bit. It was sort of a transitional period, where they lost some fans for good and had to work hard to bring them and others back. It's been fairly decent, though I've followed college closer, for the last 15 or so seasons.

The 80's was good basketball but the depth of talent in the league was not what it is today. The Bad Boy Pistons but a stop to that, though, and the Jordan Bulls didn't help things.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the rock fights of the late 90's are better than the game today needs their head examined. That said, I don't care for how homogenized the NBA game has become. Everyone is trying to do the same thing, looking for the same types of players etc. The lack of variety does take away from it. There is no such thing as contrasting styles anymore, even if the style of play is better now than it was 20 years ago.

Ironically, though, the Rockets were both the progenitor of the trend and also now pretty discrete. They run so much Harden-iso. The results are the same (lots of 3s, layups, and FTs), but the way they go about it is different than almost every other team.

And everyone hates it.

Reaction Score
The 80's with the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons up through the 90's Bulls was amazing. Once Jordan left it really sucked for like a 7-8 year stretch. The NBA is awesome right now, it will probably need to have some major rivalries blossom in the next few years for interest to soar again though.

Reaction Score
The 80's was good basketball but the depth of talent in the league was not what it is today. The Bad Boy Pistons but a stop to that, though, and the Jordan Bulls didn't help things.
Not sure I understand what you're saying here?

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand what you're saying here?

Yeah I wasn't exactly clear there.

I think the introduction of Detroit's highly physical defense, and the iso-heavy offense of the Jordan Bulls led to poor imitation by the late '90's which hurt the game at that time. The teams themselves were great.

Reaction Score
I think the introduction of Detroit's highly physical defense, and the iso-heavy offense of the Jordan Bulls led to poor imitation by the late '90's which hurt the game at that time. The teams themselves were great.
Gotcha, agreed.

Reaction Score
Between the corruption of the NCAA, ESPN just being a complete joke and most of the entertaining analysts/game day commentators gone, and our move into the AAC, I just havent cared to watch as much random college games as I used to. I find myself following more ex Uconn players in the NBA, like watching Napier, lamb, and Kemba. I agree the regular season and most of the game can be a slog getting into, I usually just tune in the final 5 minutes if its close. But i feel like the college game's excitement (maybe it has to do with UConn's performance over the last few years) or just the general apathy of the AAC, I dont really care outside just watching UConn play.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The problem with the analytics is that each shot is not an independent variable. Shots are set up by prior possessions. If all shots are at the 3 point line and the rim, defenders can pressure the perimeter much more intensely as long as they have a rim protector at the hoop, especially if they are not worried about a pull up or mid-range shot. Defenses will literally leave mid-range shooters open because they know players are unlikely to take those shots.

The game will adjust.
This. Efficiency is key.
We give credit to those in the NBA who are masters of the mid-range with DeRozan as an example. Others like Kawhi, PG, and Kyrie may not use it exclusively like Derozan, but have it as a highly efficient weapon in their arsenals.

The point is, efficiency is what the analysts seek. Generally, the analytics argument is, why shoot a mid-range two at 41, 42% when you can master the three a few feet back at a 32, 33% clip resulting in a more efficient outcome.

I recall a number of NBA forwards who scored almost exclusively from mid-range. Guys like Aguirre 54%, Dantley 54%, B.King 51%, Doc 50%. Now if your mid-range efficiency is 50%, it should shift
strategy and style of play,

The reality, as many have stated is that the game needed a cosmetic makeover post Jordan, post Malice in the Palace. An emphasis on the three and flow became a business decision for the NBA and here we are today.

Lastly, NBA attendance and viewership are down? Wonder if the over-saturation of three's and style of play have anything to do with it?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I miss the mid range shot and think the 3 has hurt the game with the older crowd but the younger people love it

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

to be fair

mlb is all those things and it’s probably not as exciting to the viewer either...

Reaction Score
I agree on most of this and anyone with a brain would agree that the athleticism on display is the best the league has ever seen but I disagree with the latter half of your statement. Other than the shooting of the big men the league was just as creative in years past. The midrange game is non existent and its made the NBA game a two level game. You either take a three or go to the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom