The Center Position | The Boneyard

The Center Position

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Guidone has been very good much of the year. A few snafus here and there but that's expected.

Last year was a disaster. Fortin seemed competent most of the season but I am realizing much of that was probably Haynes and Ofori-Nyadu. Walker was maybe the worst D1 lineman I've ever seen play a meaningful down. Fortin has been a noticeable downgrade from Guidone when he has had to play center and also hasn't looked good when he had to play RT for Lundt.

This isn't a knock on Fortin as much as it is an observation on overall OLine upgrade across the board and how players who seemed to look good last year based on last year's overall talent and performance level are noticeably to the left of the power curve with this year's line.

And oh yeah, every lineman but Guidone has eligibility remaining for next season. Would like to see Lundt get better on pass blocking but he is plenty good on the run. Need to find a center for next year's team. Amazingly enough us fans can be comforted UConn has a football staff who will most likely get that done.

Reaction Score
Thought Haynes was done after this year as well.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I’m surprised we’ve got a bama guy and a Michigan guy unable to crack 2 deep. Although in fairness we seem to only have 2 backups.

Reaction Score
It would be great if everyone could remember that, especially if you’re looking for a one year starter, having proven something at a Division 1 level is a better indicator of performance than having been recruited by a bigger school while in high school based on potential. More of our P-5 transfers are riding the bench this year than are playing. And that’s neither a knock on them nor Is it giving up on their future. But give me someone like Guidone who has proven he can play college ball at a solid level every time.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It would be great if everyone could remember that, especially if you’re looking for a one year starter, having proven something at a Division 1 level is a better indicator of performance than having been recruited by a bigger school while in high school based on potential. More of our P-5 transfers are riding the bench this year than are playing. And that’s neither a knock on them nor Is it giving up on their future. But give me someone like Guidone who has proven he can play college ball at a solid level every time.
Also Noel Ofori-Nyadu. I felt like many wanted to see him supplanted but the truth is he and even a kid like Lundt played a ton of FBS minutes and that counts. The interior of the line I feel has been outstanding and Senn might be an upgrade at his spot which I never would have thought possible. Even Lundt has played better the last 2 weeks.

That is great news on Haynes having eligibility left.

Reaction Score

So let me get this straight. You're saying that proven success on the field against the level of play your will competing is a better indication of talent than the stars from a recruiting site. Interesting.......

In all seriousness, I can remember when we recruited Jerrell Miller a 4* LB who originally committed to UNC. Many folks were convinced he would displace a talented and experienced Danny Lansanah. Many of us got a look at the two in the spring game. They were not even in the same universe of capabilities with Lansanah ending up in the League for multiple years.

I totally agree with this point. The vast majority of transfers are in the portal because they can't get on the field at the current program. That doesn't mean that some of them can't help a program like UCONN, but the assumption that P5 recruits are automatically better talents than what's on your roster is flawed.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Guidone and ultimately Sammis has made the o line a strength with lots of room to grow.
Fortin has great feet but his technique is miles off. He has potential.

Reaction Score
Sammis' resume indicated he knew how to coach and he's proven it this year. Virtually the same roster as last year.

Remember how many long runs we're used to seeing?
Remember how few sacks we're accustomed to giving up?

Let's hope he's one of the guys we can retain for a few years and help get the program built up and capable of being sustained.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember when Guidone committed, the hope was he could come in and help solidify the line. Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Any more senior Ivy centers with a year of eligibility out there?

Reaction Score
New account...but the recent success prompted me to take the plunge.

The OL has been a revelation this year. I think the overall concept of in game experience being valuable is true. Even in the glory days, we still developed linemen and rarely had a true frosh or soph step in and make an impact.

LT - I know this board loves RVD, he seemed like a great guy, but Senn is likely better and only a RS sophomore - Future is bright

LG - I don't know a ton about Ofori-Nyadu, but he seems to be a very solid player and probably not an NFL prospect, so next will hopefully be here and even better with another year under his belt.

C - Guidone has been the catalyst IMO - It's hard to watch center play on TV, but the proof is in our effective run game. He's gone after this season and Fortin stepping in is probably the plan for next year. Guy will be a 3rd year player with some decent exp, so hopefully Sammis's coaching plus him being flanked by two super red shirt seniors helps out. Could also be a landing spot for anther transfer upperclassman and use Fortin in the utility role.

RG - Haynes is a monster and might be a late round draft pick after next year. Great example of how to develop players as the guy was a lower tier recruit coming out of HS.

RT - Lundt has struggled in pass pro, but is a DOG as a run blocker and seeing how this team is looking to move the ball on the ground, he is essential. Like Senn, only a RS sophomore :)

Reaction Score
Sammis' resume indicated he knew how to coach and he's proven it this year. Virtually the same roster as last year.

Remember how many long runs we're used to seeing?
Remember how few sacks we're accustomed to giving up?

Let's hope he's one of the guys we can retain for a few years and help get the program built up and capable of being sustained.
Also McClendon with the DL. I felt Dottin-Carter was the best coach on the old staff, but KM has done wonders with the DL rotation. Guy is like 30 years old too. Does Mora make him like a Co-DC?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The OL has been a revelation this year. I think the overall concept of in game experience being valuable is true. Even in the glory days, we still developed linemen and rarely had a true frosh or soph step in and make an impact.

LT - I know this board loves RVD, he seemed like a great guy, but Senn is likely better and only a RS sophomore - Future is bright

LG - I don't know a ton about Ofori-Nyadu, but he seems to be a very solid player and probably not an NFL prospect, so next will hopefully be here and even better with another year under his belt.

C - Guidone has been the catalyst IMO - It's hard to watch center play on TV, but the proof is in our effective run game. He's gone after this season and Fortin stepping in is probably the plan for next year. Guy will be a 3rd year player with some decent exp, so hopefully Sammis's coaching plus him being flanked by two super red shirt seniors helps out. Could also be a landing spot for anther transfer upperclassman and use Fortin in the utility role.

RG - Haynes is a monster and might be a late round draft pick after next year. Great example of how to develop players as the guy was a lower tier recruit coming out of HS.

RT - Lundt has struggled in pass pro, but is a DOG as a run blocker and seeing how this team is looking to move the ball on the ground, he is essential. Like Senn, only a RS sophomore :)
Well there you go. You have your first post and your first like. Welcome to the board.

Reaction Score

I think we need to go get another Center from the portal and keep recruiting. Fortin caused that safety last weekend. I’m not certain that he’s going to be the future.

Reaction Score

I think everyone on the line has a chance to make it to the NFL, especially with the way they have been doing good blocking. Even then, Turner and Mora has said the line has done a good job giving him ZT the time to throw the ball, but he needs to work on reading through his progressions and making the throws.

Reaction Score
Also According to PFF for all of the guards in the Nation, Haynes and Noel are rank top 10

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 11.41.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 11.41.58 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
Reaction Score
The nice thing about solid FCS transfers like Guidone versus P5 transfers who were on the bench is that a guy like Guidone has tons of reps.
Does Guidone have a ton of reps on OL? From his Dartmouth profile it looks like he spent most of his time at Tight End and only has ten games as an OL and that was at guard in his final year.

Reaction Score
Does Guidone have a ton of reps on OL? From his Dartmouth profile it looks like he spent most of his time at Tight End and only has ten games as an OL and that was at guard in his final year.

More reps than FBS transfer with zero reps.

Reaction Score
More reps than FBS transfer with zero reps.
I suppose I should have phrased it in a different way, but I'm actually curious if that is correct because the Dartmouth write up is not exactly written to be clear on the matter. It would be quite an achievement if that's all he had with how well he is doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom