The Case for Kentan Facey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Case for Kentan Facey

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you look at his per 40 numbers, he has been the best rebounder on the team the last two seasons. If he can stay out of foul trouble, there's nothing stopping him from grabbing 7+ rebounds per game next year.

Reaction Score
As much as I loved Shonn and appreciated SG, Grad Transfers can really hurt the in-game development of our players. We don't make the tournament or win that first game without either of them this year, and I will be forever grateful to them for that. But it really acts as a band-aid to bigger problems and it will curb development down the line. If Facey can keep his fouls down and play consistent minutes early in the year, I see no reason he can't be a solid starter for us

I am sorry for how long this got.

I tend to agree with you, but the last few years UConn dealt with a debilitating set of circumstances that directly impacted both the quality & quantity of recruits and required those transfer 'band-aids'. They were banned from the tournament, lost two scholarships per year, had their practice time reduced and lost important recruiting privileges in addition to losing a legendary coach & their conference (I apologize if that sounds patronizing, repeating for effect). The talent stayed away because the future of program was sort of 'in limbo' (not that 'limbo' was the only reason they couldn't recruit, but it didn't help) and even when it did come there wasn't enough to compete the way UConn expects to.

2o12's simultaneous mass exodus and then three man recruiting class (Calhoun/Nolan/Tolksdork- two rotation players) made KO's first cycle on the job immensely difficult, especially considering the aforementioned NCAA restrictions on the vehicle they'd use to fill those spots (recruiting). KO steadily improved his recruiting prowess in spite of those challenges, but struggled - to various degrees - with the '13 / '14 / '15 classes before seeming to come into his own:

2013 - Facey/Brimah/Samuel - two contributors, helped win title, but limited ceiling & no depth
2014 - Hamilton - two solid seasons, but no depth & potential greatness in Storrs gave way to uncertain protential
2015 - Adams/Enoch - start of upswing, 2 strong talents, greatness lurking but again, zero depth

Ollie wasn't trying to simply fill out roster depth, but needed to find guys capable of contributing immediately in order to keep the program afloat. They would have barely had enough players to field a team, instead transfers provided a reliable source of production, allowed underclassmen to ease into their roles and pushed guys who would've otherwise been over burdened into the reserve roles they were suited to. KO will have recruited nearly a full cycle without sanctions when the 2015 class are juniors, which will ideally result in a more balanced roster distribution and reduced need for transfers.

I did some reading a few weeks back regarding the violations UConn committed under Calhoun, their punishments and the coincidental role Mark Emmert played. There is zero doubt in my mind that he wanted to cut Connecticut, and Calhoun down to size, which he did very successfully and without much, if any criticism from the press-outside the NCAA #1 enemy, Jay Bilas. We need to appreciate the job KO did, which may be a bit disappointing outside 2014 of course, but should be celebrated once placed in the context of the surrounding circumstances - a feat only possibly because of those band-aids.

I apologize for hi-jacking the thread. I started writing a quick response and it turned into a thesis. If someone wants to move this to a more appropriate place be my guest. Also, while I am at it, might as well address Facey. Offensively either he or Brimah is going to require a jumper if they have any chance of playing together. Facey had a nice stroke, but then you pull him away from the basket for rebounds, his best skill. In an ideal world, we have a real strength coach who helps KF bulk up a bit and he focus' his off season on watching film of the defense and practicing the Jeff Adrien 12-14ft jumper. If he can put together a Gavin Edwards type senior year it will help tremendously. Even without Hamilton this is the 1st year since 2014 with two true ball handlers and Purvis/Jackson will get tons of open shots. If Adams shot starts going in with consistency, they can do damage anyway. Goodnight, tomorrow will now be awful at work as I become a desk zombie.

Tl/DR - we needed transfers to stay afloat due to extreme recruiting disadvantages caused by sanctions. In a year or two we will not need them the way we have in the past/do now

Reaction Score
I think Kentan can become a force on offense. Call me crazy, but I think it comes down to confidence with him and more minutes will certainly help with that. We've seen glimpses of his athletic ability with his jumpers and reverse layups, but I feel he was too hesitant most of the time with the ball.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think Kentan can become a force on offense. Call me crazy, but I think it comes down to confidence with him and more minutes will certainly help with that. We've seen glimpses of his athletic ability with his jumpers and reverse layups, but I feel he was too hesitant most of the time with the ball.

He's got the athleticism; he needs to get a little more nasty. I look at Brice Johnson and he doesn't look much bigger than Kentan; the difference is, he's a million times more aggressive. In their final four game against Cuse, there was one play where he missed a shot, got the rebound, missed another layup, got the rebound, and finally finished, with 3 orange jerseys around him. Kentan gets his rebounds, but he doesn't seem to go up very strong on the offensive end.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Too many statistics for me. My eyes saw DHam get the rebound and was at half court before the other team realized it. I saw Facey get the rebound, stop look around for a guard. Not saying that is bad, just speaking of the difference. Others on here are right. KF did some things that make you say "wow". With DHam leaving I say "huh?" I guess the last 4 games of the season really certified him a solid pro prospect. He has an agent, so I guess he is. Would of been nice for one more year. With Brimah, a giant against low leval, schooled when the competition gets better. If I read Mau's reply correct, we may be building for the year after next. I could be wrong. It has happened before.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hopefully, he improves. I remember some great rebounds immediately followed by turnpovers. But he has skills.

Reaction Score
Facey was bullied big time by bigger teams and with him and Brimah starting I see that happening again and again. I dont see him bulking up enough to make much a difference. Hes a good offendsive rebounder but that was about it. He's a career role player every team needs them and he's ours.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If you look at his per 40 numbers, he has been the best rebounder on the team the last two seasons. If he can stay out of foul trouble, there's nothing stopping him from grabbing 7+ rebounds per game next year.
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Per 40 extrapolations are questionable at best. Facey will get more minutes next year simply from attrition. I hope your right about his numbers improving. Also, anyone who sees him should buy him a burger. I'd like to see him playing north of 200lbs.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Facey was bullied big time by bigger teams and with him and Brimah starting I see that happening again and again. I dont see him bulking up enough to make much a difference. Hes a good offendsive rebounder but that was about it. He's a career role player every team needs them and he's ours.

Well, I guess we're gonna find out, because Juwan Durham is coming off of two torn ACLs and has barely played the last year and a half, and Mamadou Diarra is a freshman borderline top-100 prospect. So unless one of those two steps it up, Facey is going to get major minutes.

Reaction Score
Too many statistics for me. My eyes saw DHam get the rebound and was at half court before the other team realized it. I saw Facey get the rebound, stop look around for a guard. Not saying that is bad, just speaking of the difference. Others on here are right. KF did some things that make you say "wow". With DHam leaving I say "huh?" I guess the last 4 games of the season really certified him a solid pro prospect. He has an agent, so I guess he is. Would of been nice for one more year. With Brimah, a giant against low leval, schooled when the competition gets better. If I read Mau's reply correct, we may be building for the year after next. I could be wrong. It has happened before.

Did your eyes also see that Facey was exponentially better than Hamilton at offensive rebounding? Because then he doesn't need to run up the court.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Did your eyes also see that Facey was exponentially better than Hamilton at offensive rebounding? Because then he doesn't need to run up the court.
The posts on what we will lose when DHam leaves was rebounding. There also was a slight comparison between the two. What my EYES saw was DHam getting the rebound and leading a fast break. I will miss that. My eyes never saw Facey do that. Not saying Facey did anything wrong. It was that DHam was off and running. That's it. Nothing else. Did your EYES not only read my reply but understand it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom