The Butler | The Boneyard

The Butler

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw this movie today. First thing is, it's way too predictable. It also seems like a make work project for Hollywood, but Oprah certainly doesn't need the money and acting isn't her meal ticket anyway. If I'm a political conservative, I hate the movie if only because of the way Nixon and Reagan are depicted. Pretty over the top negative. John Cusak plays Nixon and Alan Rickman plays Ronnie, both with funky makeup. Also, my wife and I were debating whether Robin Williams was supposed to be Truman or Eisenhower (I think Ike is the correct answer based on the events involved, but he sure looked like Truman), None are major parts of the movie. The flick might have value for younger people who didn't experience the the civil rights era. Almost all of the main events are shown through the role of the butler's son. who becomes radicalized, and is a short hand primer for the unfamiliar in a Forrest Gumpish sort of way.. What is portrayed interestingly is the attitude of the older black generation toward the civil rights movement - some afraid to rock the boat, and some good dramatic juxtaposition of what the son was experiencing while at the same time the father was butlering in the halls of power. I wouldn't say don't see it, because I know some people who liked it a lot. I was luke warm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom