Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We shot 55% Ark shot 52%.
Treys UConn 52% Ark 56%
FT UConn 9/14 Ark 11/20
TO UCOnn 15 Ark 9
Reb UCOnn 35 Ark 30
PF UConn 23 Ark 13

The bottom line is we played as a team great and lost by one basket. Not to bad. Arkansas played unconscious and won Give Em credit. I hate to loose and we didnt loose they game they won it by playing unbelievable. IMO we are the better team but tonite we ran into a buzz saw.

Dont go blaming our kids or any individual player(s) We played better then good enough to win and Thats the Bottom Line

Reaction Score
Treys UConn 52% Ark 56%
FT UConn 9/14 Ark 11/20
TO UCOnn 15 Ark 9
Reb UCOnn 35 Ark 30
PF UConn 23 Ark 13

The bottom line is we played as a team great and lost by one basket. Not to bad. Arkansas played unconscious and won Give Em credit. I hate to loose and we didnt loose they game they won it by playing unbelievable. IMO we are the better team but tonite we ran into a buzz saw.

Dont go blaming our kids or any individual player(s) We played better then good enough to win and Thats the Bottom Line

No one expected this team to be undefeated. Now the pressure is off.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not all UConn players came to play and UConn almost pulled out an improbable win. Arkansas played with greater intensity and physicality and of course in the 3rd Quarter shot lights out. I'm surprised UConn got back into the game and actually took a 2 point lead. Then after the timeout, Arkansas restored order by going on a 7-0 Run that ultimately decided the game. UConn had to work much harder to get their shots, while Arkansas had wide open lanes to the Rim with no low post defensive help. Arkansas played like Notre Dame used to play UConn and they won the game like how Notre Dame won games against UConn. They deserved the Win and probably should have won by a bigger margin.

Reaction Score
The eye test means so much more than stats and Arkansas was clearly the better team. The biggest positive Uconn take for me was the competitiveness of the 4 freshmen and hopefully Bueckers realizing that Auriemma knows a thing or two and she understands she needs to hunt down her own offense for this team to compete on a national level.

Reaction Score
Glad to see u subscribe to the eye test as well. And you are soo right about PB
Saw some DT in her tonite
The team seems most comfortable when
PB and EW are scoring
IMHO the teams need that as an identity
And the worlds best coach had known this all along

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How many team fouls has UConn averaged through the first ten games? 23 seems pretty high.

Reaction Score
Sorry. ONO 2 points, 2 rebounds, 3 turnovers, 0 energy. How do you win with that contribution from your alleged ‘big’? Against a notoriously small team. ????? So soft. Boston is licking her chops.

I was thinking maybe Liv should just start coming in off the bench from now on, but then - honestly - I couldn’t think of why you would put her in.

#Fed up #&%¥£@##

Reaction Score
Spot on with your assessment, kicker. Geno said as much in the post game presser. Edwards needs to be on Boston vs S. Carolina, even with her propensity for fouling. Nika and Mir were very pleasant surprises, they played with no fear. Evina was outstanding, and Paige needs to shoot 20X minimum per game. Hope Anna's leg heals quickly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Three 5th year seniors all came up big for Arkansas. The closest thing UConn has to that kind of experience is Evina, who is a RS senior in her 4th year.

I will give you 2. Slocum was generally a no show with a few embers.

Reaction Score
Treys UConn 52% Ark 56%
FT UConn 9/14 Ark 11/20
TO UCOnn 15 Ark 9
Reb UCOnn 35 Ark 30
PF UConn 23 Ark 13

Statistics are for losers. We lost.

Reaction Score
Bottom line for me? UConn isn’t a good defensive team. Athletic skills isn’t same as sound defensive principles (don’t reach in, stay between your opponent and the basket, etc). Also, in UConn’s defense strategy, there’s very little help defense. Hope coaching goes over defense more in practice. Audrey, who is good defender, has good body positioning when guarding- she isn’t parallel but perpendicular to her opponent and can slide laterally as needed. Maybe her long arms & legs allow her to do this better than most.

Reaction Score
Treys UConn 52% Ark 56%
FT UConn 9/14 Ark 11/20
TO UCOnn 15 Ark 9
Reb UCOnn 35 Ark 30
PF UConn 23 Ark 13

You are wrong. One player failed to drop down anytime a guard was beat to the basket. Geno is right. Poor defense was the difference. They only stayed close because the guards plus Mir and Aubrey defended well.

Reaction Score
You are wrong. One player failed to drop down anytime a guard was beat to the basket. Geno is right. Poor defense was the difference. They only stayed close because the guards plus Mir and Aubrey defended well.
Aubrey didn't defend all that well tonight. There was a reason she wasn't on the floor late.

Reaction Score
Treys UConn 52% Ark 56%
FT UConn 9/14 Ark 11/20
TO UCOnn 15 Ark 9
Reb UCOnn 35 Ark 30
PF UConn 23 Ark 13

Are you serious? You thought the defense played great? And when you play better than good enough to win, you win. It's not that difficult to just say UConn wasn't good enough. Do you think Auriemma thinks they played "better than good enough to win"?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

@Tonyc, I totally agree with your assessment.

Confession: I can't believe I got this one so wrong. In another thread I predicted that UCONN would hold Arkansas to under 60 (51 to be exact) and that UCONN would score 86.

Again, WOW! got that one off the charts wrong :)

From a coaches perspective though, this game is a treasure-trove of back to the drawing board moments. Finally, something Geno will be able to get his teeth into.

Bottom Line: An enormously beneficial game for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, and I will not use any names because I don't feel like defending myself against the "our girls" contingent. but UConn has 1 upperclassmen player that completely failed to show up tonight and has failed to show up in EVERY big game of her career vs decent competition. That HAS to change for UConn to win a NC this year or next!

Reaction Score
I’m surprised Coach didn’t have a D to slow them down.
I felt like his attitude in the presser reflected that he didn’t have an answer during the game or in the future. Maybe this team can’t play man against good offensive players.
Their O is commonplace in HS and college. Dribble drive-kick, dribble drive-kick, all night long. It’s a bear to stop. Takes team defense. Got to play on the ball D, slide over and help, and close-out on shooters. And Geno switches on all screens, so you are constantly losing touch with who you’re guarding. If you don’t switch and fight over screens you maintain accountability.
I think Geno realizes that he can’t beat a good team playing man.
So....don’t play man. Put in multiple zones. Use what the situation calls for. Do different things out of the same setup. Trap, don’t trap. Pack it in, pick up high, pick up after team crosses half court. Etc.
We gotta get in the hunt. We got smoked tonight. Sorry, it is what it is. She got 37 on us. There was not even a hint for 4 quarters that we had even an inkling of a clue how to stop her. He’s worked on man to man defensive fundamentals this year for 500 hours. COVID infested hours. They can’t beat a good team playing man. Go Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom