OT: - The Big One. US vs Canada Women's Hockey Gold medal game. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Big One. US vs Canada Women's Hockey Gold medal game.

Reaction Score
I wonder whether there might have been some friendly wagers among the ladies over the outcome of this game.... especially with one of their number being Canadian and having a cousin on the Canadian team. By the way, Ms. Nurse of the Canadian hockey team looks EXACTLY like her basketball-playing cousin -- when I saw her I almost did a double take.

Reaction Score
Great win. But whoever came up with the idea of a shootout deciding the gold medal winner, as opposed to deciding it with a hockey game, should be drawn and quartered at minimum. Having a shootout is akin to basketball deciding its championship with a game of horse.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great win. But whoever came up with the idea of a shootout deciding the gold medal winner, as opposed to deciding it with a hockey game, should be drawn and quartered at minimum. Having a shootout is akin to basketball deciding its championship with a game of horse.

Agreed but I take solace that the team who was peaking in the 3rd period and completely dominated the OT period won the shoot out. :D

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Huge win... certainly among the best American performances of this Olympics.

Reaction Score
I guess Kia Nurse went to sleep . Sorry Sarah Nurse. Just prepare for Tokyo 2022.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

And the better idea would be what?

Reaction Score

OT. Like most sports were decided before TV controlled things. It's like deciding the 7th game of the NBA championship with a free throw competition. it's a team sport. Let the teams play.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I've always agreed with your thought however what happened last night was exciting. I always compared it to an extra innings baseball game stopping and the outcome being decided by a home run derby. I know hockey is an intense and draining game but the longer it goes I would think the best conditioned team would have the best chance. Play on.

Reaction Score

Play hockey. With the 4 vs 4 OT format, a goal is likely to be scored fairly quickly. If not, as suggested above, just keep playing. It's a hockey tournament. Decide the winner by playing hockey, not by some tricked-up skills competition. I guarantee there is not one player who wouldn't rather see the winner decided on the ice.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
By the way, Ms. Nurse of the Canadian hockey team looks EXACTLY like her basketball-playing cousin -- when I saw her I almost did a double take.
Sarah Nurse...

sarah_nurse.jpg

Reaction Score
I wonder whether there might have been some friendly wagers among the ladies over the outcome of this game.... especially with one of their number being Canadian and having a cousin on the Canadian team. By the way, Ms. Nurse of the Canadian hockey team looks EXACTLY like her basketball-playing cousin -- when I saw her I almost did a double take.
I don't see it from the pic Eric posted. So I went to Google Images and looked at about 50 pictures. Just can't see it. ??

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canadian Hockey looks like it may take another hit. Major surprise team Germany leads 3-1 midway through 2nd over Canada on the men's side although the Canadians just scored on PP (really stupid retaliation penalty) to go from 3-0 to 3-1.

Edit-1 Now down 4-1 and Canadians reduced to head hunting. 5 minute major penalty now :(

Edit-2 Now 4-2 early in 3rd period Canada showing life. Too little too late?

Edit-3 Now 4-3 with 9 minutes left and just earned a PP. Lets go. :D

Final Edit. Canada loses 4-3. Dominated the 3rd. Outshot 15-1 Canada only have themselves to blame for coming out so sluggish.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom