The Big East Tournament is thriving | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Big East Tournament is thriving

Reaction Score
There are differences, sure, but also commonality and a shared history. We could emphasize either.

We could also make the case that UConn is more like UMass than the institutions you listed. Both New England Flagships trying to remake an identity. Unlike Penn State and Michigan State, not AAU. No long history of big time athletic success, although UConn is new money in basketball under 1 iconic coach and looking to rebuild.

Butler and Northwestern both started with religious affiliations. Maybe the Big 10 will take Nova as another private, less than 10,000 undergrad school. They can solidify the Philadelphia market. lol, I know I'm sounding like a UConn dreamer. Our place is in the Big East, sharing a home with the Sixers, competing in Madison Square Garden in March, and contending for championships. It's not P5 money, but it's a nice home with continuing Big East tradition.

Uh, yes, UConn is more similar to UMass than the new Big East and Villanova. That said, UConn does have a few more NCAA titles in men's and women's basketball than our neighbors to the north along with titles in Men's Soccer, Women's Field Hockey, etc. along with lager facilities, especially in football. UMass could take home the Frozen For (hockey) title this year, though.

As for going to the B1G, Villanova, while a good school, it has no chance. It's not AAU either, is not a major research University, which Northwestern clearly is, does not play D-1A football and also has to deal with Penn St already being in the B1G. Did I also mention that Northwestern's endowment is north of $11 Billion. Both Pitt and Temple have a greater chance of getting into the B1G that Villanova.

Reaction Score
Uh, yes, UConn is more similar to UMass than the new Big East and Villanova. That said, UConn does have a few more NCAA titles in men's and women's basketball than our neighbors to the north along with titles in Men's Soccer, Women's Field Hockey, etc. along with lager facilities, especially in football. UMass could take home the Frozen For (hockey) title this year, though.

As for going to the B1G, Villanova, while a good school, it has no chance. It's not AAU either, is not a major research University, which Northwestern clearly is, does not play D-1A football and also has to deal with Penn St already being in the B1G. Did I also mention that Northwestern's endowment is north of $11 Billion. Both Pitt and Temple have a greater chance of getting into the B1G that Villanova.
I agree, Nova has no chance at the Big 10. That’s what I was saying.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
You want someone from ESPN on a task force to study how to rebuild men's Bball and football when ESPN is arguably the reason why UConn was left out of the P5? If ESPN wanted UConn in the ACC then BC, Syracuse, Miami and others' objections wouldn't have mattered because ESPN held the purse strings.

Is there a beef between uconn and espn?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is there a beef between uconn and espn?
Mmmm, I'd call it disinterest. But keep in mind that they funded the evisceration of the Big East. If ESPN doesn't fund it, it doesn't happen. Given that they gutted UConn's conference one would think that they give it a soft landing place. They didn't and costs Connecticut taxpayer tens of millions annually.

Reaction Score
If St John's loses Mullin and cannot build off him, the Big East will be in very big trouble. At least Ewing has a thing going at Georgetown.

Reaction Score
I think this thread has jumped the shark. 7 pages on a conference tourney which most fans anymore wonder why they even play them. LOL.

Reaction Score
If St John's loses Mullin and cannot build off him, the Big East will be in very big trouble. At least Ewing has a thing going at Georgetown.
Would Bobby Hurley be an acceptable hire?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Would Bobby Hurley be an acceptable hire?

...about as much as the B1G or ACC is an acceptable conference to UConn, and about as likely.

Reaction Score
Mmmm, I'd call it disinterest. But keep in mind that they funded the evisceration of the Big East. If ESPN doesn't fund it, it doesn't happen. Given that they gutted UConn's conference one would think that they give it a soft landing place. They didn't and costs Connecticut taxpayer tens of millions annually.

Let's not also forget that most of the old brass at espn are Syracuse grads. The new brass is pure disney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom