The Big East Tournament is now gone. It's dead. MSG is no more. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big East Tournament is now gone. It's dead. MSG is no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i just cried.

if uconn and ruty or wvu goto the acc. the acc would be stupid not to put that 16team conf in MSG as soon as they can contract wise. they would control nyc with those teams and the tney....espn down the street etc etc
all the acc schools that matter on the bball side duke/unc/md would travel well to msg with uconn/pitt/cuse/ruty as well traveling well. would make one heck of a week. almost as good as the BET...
no F'in way does Duke and UNC allow their conference tournament to move to NYC. NO.WAY.

Reaction Score
Not for certain. It's only a matter of time before UConn and RU are accepted into the ACC. Once that happens imagine this.

A 16 team tourny with the 8 teams in the North playing at MSG and the 8 teams in the South at Greensboro/Atlanta/Charlotte. Championship game played in DC or rotating between MSG and Greensboro/Atlanta/Charlotte.

The northern teams will not want to travel south every year and vice versa. The ACC would be stupid not to want a presence in NYC. 8 teams in the North and 8 teams in the South. Maintains long standing rivalries and maintains a presence in NYC.

Is there any reason that MSG couldn't hold 2 tourny's at the same time? Not to mention MSG would choose an ACC with UConn, Cuse and RU over the Catholics.

Reaction Score
Agree that there's no way Duke/UNC would allow the ACC Tourney to get up to MSG.

But more importantly, I think whatever remains of the Big East (GTown, Nova, Johnnies, etc) is still going to be having their "Catholic League" tournament at the Garden. Gonna be kinda tough to have two conference tournaments in the same building at the same time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree that there's no way Duke/UNC would allow the ACC Tourney to get up to MSG.

But more importantly, I think whatever remains of the Big East (GTown, Nova, Johnnies, etc) is still going to be having their "Catholic League" tournament at the Garden. Gonna be kinda tough to have two conference tournaments in the same building at the same time.

If the ACC wanted their tourney in MSG, they'd just outbid GT, Nova, StJ's and the rest. The ACC would get preference on money alone.

I doubt they'd want to do this though.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Eventually we'll have to rotate it. All the northern schools will push for it - the country's best bball league can't go to Greensboro every year.

Reaction Score
This really sucks. It might be the worst part of a potential love to the ACC, in my opinion.

Football is too young at the D1 level to really feel an impact--and basketball two of the rivalries you've built up are moving with you. So this tournament is going to be one of the most large and noticeable losses for us.

Reaction Score
I like the hybrid approach with a rotating Championship game. Of course we have to be part of a conference first. Don't forget that the SEC play its Championship FB game in Atlanta. Which SEC school is in Atlanta?

Reaction Score

I'll never forget walking up the steps to MSG for the Cuse game and hearing the UConn pep band warming up as we crossed the threshold of the arena. It was simply glorious.

Reaction Score
The BET is one of the truly special and unique sporting events around. I haven't been since 2004. I will make sure I'm back in March for one last go-around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom