The Big East Reasserts Its Stupidity With Pro-Playoff Vote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big East Reasserts Its Stupidity With Pro-Playoff Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well yesterday the talking heads on ESPN (I forget which ones) were towing the SEC line that the SEC conference schedule was difficult enough, but for the ACC / Big East to get taken seriously they'd have to upgrade their nonconference schedule. Sheeesh.

While I'd agree with this, who are they going to get to schedule them to increase their strength of schedule? Unfortunately, College Football is still a system where if you lose one, maybe two games, you're out of the National Title picture. 4 team playoff isn't going to change that. Since the SEC, B1G, and Big-12 already have a stacked conference schedule, what power teams are left to schedule? This is where the Big East and ACC are going to run into problems....

Reaction Score
This contract is for 12 years. At this pace an 8 or 16 team playoff may not be in some of our lifetime.

Just let the season start already

Reaction Score
The Division Champs of the 4 Power Conferences meet each other for a 99.9% guaranteed Semi-Final Play Off Spot in something called a Conference Championship game. That's the round of 8.

At the end of this contract, what percentage of the 4 semi finalists will come from that round of 8? Of 48 semi-final slots I figure 5 might go to outsiders like the ACC or BE in 12 years. No more than that. 90% or better will come from the Round of 8.

while i agree there won't be a lot of participation by the BE or ACC, but over the last decade there's been very few BE/ACC teams that deserved to be in the top 4, so it's kind of silly for us to bellyache about it. where i disagree is about the big4 conference championships acting as a de facto first round b/c i think more often than not only 3 of them will be represented. the other day i looked and over the last decade there were only 1 or 2 times when the top 4 represented 4 different conferences, and the MWC was in there more than the BE/ACC. obviously with a committee they could take a #5 or 6 team, but i think they'll be pretty hard pressed to pass over an SEC team that's ranked #3 for the top team from the B1G/B12 if they're only ranked #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom