The Best Women's Basketball Team You've Never Heard Of | The Boneyard

The Best Women's Basketball Team You've Never Heard Of

Reaction Score
...and the coach who made it happen.

What a interesting story for admirers of women's basketball and its history.

upload_2017-3-4_8-37-20.png

The Oklahoma Presbyterian College Cardinals

Excerpts:

What Doll Harris — 5-foot-2, maybe 100 pounds — would eventually offer Sam Babb was tenacious defense and dependable shooting. What Coach Babb could offer in return was the opportunity to get off a dusty farm.

"Financial aid. A college degree. Her father did not have the money to send her to college, and she never would have gone if it hadn’t been the offer from Sam," Reeder says.

Babb had worked out a way to give athletic scholarships to women 40-odd years before Title IX.

"The rest of Oklahoma, who had read about the Cardinals, were definitely rooting for them, but I don’t know that they thought they could win," Reeder says. "And, of course, Sam always thought they could win, so. And he got quite a crowd to drive into Shreveport from Oklahoma to root for the Cardinals."

That crowd wasn’t disappointed. The defense Sam Babb had taught the Cardinals to play limited Babe Didrikson’s effectiveness. Doll Harris, who had excelled throughout the tournament, drew enough attention to free up some of her teammates, one of whom, Lucille Thurman, sealed the Cardinals' victory with a late basket.

To say the Cardinals returned in triumph might be an understatement, especially as regards their star, Doll Harris. Perhaps to the surprise of some, she was named captain of the all-tournament team.

"I don’t know that she was that surprised," Reeder says. "But, she deserved it, and the Associated Press named her the top female basketball player that year. She was better than Babe Didrikson that year. So she won fans all over the country. I saw from her scrapbook postcards from Connecticut and other places, telling her how much they admired her."

Complete Story [HERE]

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-4_8-33-46.png
    upload_2017-3-4_8-33-46.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 38

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Ok, some of you may have heard of them, but I know so many that have not.

The All American Red Heads. played only against men and by their rules, 200+ games a year, all on the road, winning aprx 80%

Even a 96 game winning streak (in only 96 days).

Their stories and other players on other teams in the book below. Barnstorming America, Stories from the Pioneers of Women's Basketball.

Reaction Score
Their stories and other players on other teams in the book below. Barnstorming America, Stories from the Pioneers of Women's Basketball.
Thank you for reference! Just ordered it.

Reaction Score
So if this were the 30's, we'd have 'Sweet' Samuelson, 'Babe' Collier, 'Doll' Dangerfield and 'Roo' Williams...

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Yes, probably true.

Thanks for the ordering of the book. If we ever meet and you would like me to sign it, I would be honored.

I have about 16 players that played on 7 of the various barnstorming teams doing a book signing down in Dallas during the Final 4 at the end of the month.

All American Red Heads Barnstorming America book

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom