The best way to position Uconn for realignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The best way to position Uconn for realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "monitoring" jokes stopped being funny a long time ago. People need to find a new one.

They will never stop being funny until he gets engaged in doing something or at least changes the passive tone of his rhetoric.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
WM is committed to expanding the Rent and has stated so recently (I posted this in another thread so I just re-copied it)

From Sunday... Not everything is in the Courant (thank God).

Of course, winning breeds success and success means selling tickets. And the more tickets you sell, the bigger the stadium you need. When Rentschler Field was constructed, it was done with expansion in mind. Don't think Manuel isn't excited about seeing those blueprints. He is.

"The more games we win, the more tickets that we can sell, the quicker I'll expand it," Manuel said. "When we're at the point where we're having consistent sellouts in the next couple of years, then it'll increase the talk of expanding because of demand. I'm not looking to wait 10 years before we do it. It's all about ... we have to improve the team, we want to find ways to encourage people to come out and watch us play, we know we have to do better on the field.

"We want people from Bridgeport, people in New Haven and Stamford to buy season tickets and to come up, support the team and see us play great competition. If we can expand the number of fans and the demand to see us play, we'll look to expand the stadium, because it'll make economic sense for us to do so."

So he pretty much said the same thing I did. But I'm not the AD and there isn't much of a plan to get better. Is he banking on PP winning more games?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
So he pretty much said the same thing I did. But I'm not the AD and there isn't much of a plan to get better. Is he banking on PP winning more games?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Manuel has it backwards. Rutgers didn't wait. They acted. The small stadium is a negative to prospective OOC opponents with big fanbases. The quality of opponents also has an effect on attendance.

We can either wait for to happen, or force it to happen.

caw

Reaction Score
With countless posts about what we are doing, or what we should be doing, I am surprised that Uconn has not hired some sort of consultant (McKinsey or other) to help position and market the school to ACC and B1G.

We know that Delaney does his work, but all the phone calls and networking that hopefully Susan and Warde are doing should be complemented by a presentation (not a brochure with pretty pictures) that highlights all the positives and even the negatives of Uconn. From stength of athletics, academics, investments, fan base, TV ratings, subscribers, stadium, etc.

We all know what is at stake here, and having spent years in consulting, I can attest to not only how persuasive this can be, but how it will demonstrate our value and our seriousness. It will position the discussion hopefully on the critical issues that the ACC and B1G care most about. Now perhaps I am naive and these decisions are made in a more political fashion, but this document could be a strong weapon to ensure the future of our athletic program!

For the ACC, I don't think it mattered. BC is and has been against UConn for forever. They will not vote for UConn regardless, this has been shown over and over again regardless of public statements. FSU and Clemson sealed the deal with UL having, at least a perceived, better football past and future. That was 3 strikes against, when they needed two or fewer. UConn has a slightly better chance if they expand again, after Cuse/Pitt/UL have voting rights, but are still far from a sure thing because UConn will always start with one negative vote from BC. Assuming two of UNC / UVA or GT are the ones to leave, well those were likely two votes already for UConn. BC has truly poisoned the well for UConn and it wouldn't shock me if UConn were bypassed in the future.

In regards to the B1G, I don't believe a consultant's input would help at all. Delany surely has analysts looking at data and projecting. I can't imagine he doesn't know the deal. UConn is probably 3rd at best right now behind UNC and UVA on a realistic wish list for the B1G, lower on an unrealistic one. I don't think you can change that. Perhaps you can show how UConn is moving up in the world in some areas it is lacking (AAU) but others (population) are out of UConn's control. The better way to show UConn is moving up is by doing what gars44 outlines below:

Not sure why anyone thinks they know what is/is not going on behind the scenes. Could be something. Could be nothing. But what absolutely should be going on is making Uconn a top flight academic institution with better professors, better facilities, better research, better students, better reputation. That is being done - and it should have been done long ago. As to our comittment to excellence in athletics, we had better keep doing that with or without ESPN money, just like TCU did, just like Louisville did, just like UCF, USF - every other school doing its 40 year pennance in the desert. Better keep strack. That means fan support. Don't ever give that up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have a fact sheet available for disemination is helpful. The press, for example is inherently lazy. Puttting favorable factoids in their hands shapes their coverage which in turn shapes public opinion. It's the path of least resistance. You want to make it as easy as possible for schools to support us.

caw

Reaction Score
Have a fact sheet available for disemination is helpful. The press, for example is inherently lazy. Puttting favorable factoids in their hands shapes their coverage which in turn shapes public opinion. It's the path of least resistance. You want to make it as easy as possible for schools to support us.

Yes, but someone at UConn should be able to do this. It's not hard. Just need to decode HFD posts.

Reaction Score
Not sure why anyone thinks they know what is/is not going on behind the scenes. Could be something. Could be nothing. But what absolutely should be going on is making Uconn a top flight academic institution with better professors, better facilities, better research, better students, better reputation. That is being done - and it should have been done long ago. As to our comittment to excellence in athletics, we had better keep doing that with or without ESPN money, just like TCU did, just like Louisville did, just like UCF, USF - every other school doing its 40 year pennance in the desert. Better keep strack. That means fan support. Don't ever give that up.

UConn already has a consulting contract in place w/ McKinsey for a large scope of projects - not all unveiled as of yet I imagine.

Reaction Score
The next steps are already in place. Our invite to the B1G is in the works. Due diligence is in the process of being wrapped up. The lawyers are finalizing the language. The roll out of the announcement is finalized.

Why do you think Maryland voted against the $50MM exit fee? They knew they were going elsewhere. How long do you think Rutgers knew? Louisville didn't get the ACC invite because they connected on some last minute Hail Mary pass. They got it because UConn wasn't available, simple as that.

The Maryland/Rutgers move seemed to me like it'd been in the works for a while between UMD nixing the fee and Schiano telling recruits they'd be in the B1G last year. Two schools that seemingly had no business thinking they'd go there did, and they were right. I think we're a good fit for the B1G, so I'll go ahead with your optimism that we told the ACC to shove it.

Reaction Score
BC has truly poisoned the well for UConn and it wouldn't shock me if UConn were bypassed in the future.

I think you give BC a lot more credit than they deserve in terms of killing us to the ACC. They have one vote, but I can't imagine they have too much sway over all of the other schools in the ACC. They have about as much pull in the ACC as Tulane will have in the Big East in a few years

Reaction Score
I think you give BC a lot more credit than they deserve in terms of killing us to the ACC. They have one vote, but I can't imagine they have too much sway over all of the other schools in the ACC. They have about as much pull in the ACC as Tulane will have in the Big East in a few years

This flies in the face, however, of what DeFilippo claimed.

Reaction Score
It boggles the mind that people think the cards are in because they begged harder. They are in because FSU and Clemson threw a hissy fit and threatened to leave. They don't want us. End of story

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
AND the disgusting gnome down in Miami.

Reaction Score
WM is committed to expanding the Rent and has stated so recently (I posted this in another thread so I just re-copied it)

From Sunday... Not everything is in the Courant (thank God).

Of course, winning breeds success and success means selling tickets. And the more tickets you sell, the bigger the stadium you need. When Rentschler Field was constructed, it was done with expansion in mind. Don't think Manuel isn't excited about seeing those blueprints. He is.

"The more games we win, the more tickets that we can sell, the quicker I'll expand it," Manuel said. "When we're at the point where we're having consistent sellouts in the next couple of years, then it'll increase the talk of expanding because of demand. I'm not looking to wait 10 years before we do it. It's all about ... we have to improve the team, we want to find ways to encourage people to come out and watch us play, we know we have to do better on the field.

"We want people from Bridgeport, people in New Haven and Stamford to buy season tickets and to come up, support the team and see us play great competition. If we can expand the number of fans and the demand to see us play, we'll look to expand the stadium, because it'll make economic sense for us to do so."

Extend the busway from Stamford to East Hartford. Build it and they will come.

caw

Reaction Score

No you are right, but starting one down when 3 kills you is a huge hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom