The Best PG in UCONN History | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Best PG in UCONN History

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Does Hurley have the greatest sales pitch in the country?

“I see you entered the portal. Do you want to be great like Newton and Spencer?”

“I see you’re undecided out of high school, do you want to be like Castle and Clingan?”

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned "recency bias". As for most important PG you'd have to put Chris Smith in there. All-time leading scorer and Calhoun's first bigtime recruiting "get". Anything done in the last 25 years is partly on his shoulders...

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Kemba, Bazz, and Newton all achieved against tremendous odds. They are all AMAZING leaders, Huskies, and PGs. For me, the one who accomplished the most was Kemba, then Newton, then Bazz - but I change my order by the moment.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Would be if it were true but Adama says hello

Whoops. Proves the point even more!

(1) Cardiac Kemba
Everyone else

Reaction Score
It’s a great conversation you make a name for yourself and that’s what Newton has done. Back to back chips in 2 years that’s a great story to talk about.

Personally I still take Kemba, if you remember the future of the program was looking very bleak, that 2011 run was incredible Kemba had to be on his A game practically every night for 40 minutes. We had 2 championships Kemba brought it to 3, then it lead to Shabazz brining that title count to 4. Despite the downfall think those championships in 2011 and 2014 carried just enough weight for the job to still be attractive.

I do believe Kemba is a HOF if not for the knee injury I believe he wins a championship with the Celtics by now.

Reaction Score
Kemba is still my all-time favorite. But Tristen, starter on two championship teams, and all the accolades, is indisputable.

Reaction Score
Love them all, but can I raise you one El Amin?
When you look at all those names and paired with their accomplishments, you can honestly now call Uconn a point guard University over Wing U.

Someone mentioned Ben, and he was mostly definitely a 2 guard, but if you watched that season you know when things got hairy, JC always put Ben on the ball.

Reaction Score
So was every other starter. Sorry but most of the others are superior
Wow, you are doubling down on this dumb take, SMH. Even Newton's teammates have said in interviews that he is the guy that runs the show. Over the last 2 years, are there superior players or more impactful? Sure, but to say most of the others are superior? That's flat our hyperbole. You are shooting blanks here.

Reaction Score
Wow, you are doubling down on this dumb take, SMH. Even Newton's teammates have said in interviews that he is the guy that runs the show. Over the last 2 years, are there superior players or more impactful? Sure, but to say most of the others are superior? That's flat out hyperbole. You are shooting blanks here.
I originally said starters so when I said players I assumed you knew I just meant the starters between the team last year and this year.

Reaction Score
When you look at all those names and paired with their accomplishments, you can honestly now call Uconn a point guard University over Wing U.

Someone mentioned Ben, and he was mostly definitely a 2 guard, but if you watched that season you know when things got hairy, JC always put Ben on the ball.
Not to mention, as much as we may wish to put the 2006 tournament out of our minds, Marcus Williams was a magician with the ball. And somebody mentioned during the season that this team often ran with 3 PGs at one time, with Diarra, Castle, and Newton on the floor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing says recency bias like putting Newton and Kemba on the same level.
I remember thinking the same thing when folks were putting Kemba over Khalid El-Amin. Still, to paraphase many folks on the Boneyard: 2>1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom