The best of small town USA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The best of small town USA?

Reaction Score
Savannah and Charleston are great just like Burlington, Portland (ME) and Missoula are great, but they aren't small towns, well not to me anyway.

Lake Placid
Aspen/Basalt
Whitefish, MT
Durango
Chatham, MA

Newburyport is among the best, imho.

Reaction Score
Sanibel, FL along. With the west coast keys. Mannasota, siesta, longboat.

Reaction Score
Sanibel, FL along. With the west coast keys. Mannasota, siesta, longboat.
Siesta and longboat are part of Sarasota. Definitely not small towns IMO.

I would add New Hope PA/Lambertville NJ. Quaint shops, good food and the river right between them. Great bike path too

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Haven't been to Newburyport since the 80s... is The Grog still kicking?

Anyway, Oakmont has not be subsumed by Pittsburgh. It's still a distinct area. I don't find it particularly charming, but it has some positive attributes. I like Mt. Lebanon a lot better. And Sewickely is cool as well.

I don't spend a ton of time in small towns while traveling, but here I some I've enjoyed outside New England where I've spend considerable time:
- Calistoga, Healdsburg, Tiburon & Encinitas, CA
- Cedarburg, WI
- New Hope, PA
- Red Bank, NJ
- Banff, AB
- Wayzata, MN (mostly for Lord Fletcher's)
- Bradenton, FL

In the small city category, I've found Duluth surprisingly fun. Also like Easton, PA, but mostly because I have a friend with a brewery there.

Reaction Score
Siesta and longboat are part of Sarasota. Definitely not small towns IMO.

I would add New Hope PA/Lambertville NJ. Quaint shops, good food and the river right between them. Great bike path too
Duh, I live there. Savannah and Charleston pass your test but small islands with unique local cuisine and the best beaches - you are pointing out people shouldn't consider them? The difference between siesta key and Newtown in Sarasota. 2 different planets.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Calistoga, CA
Portland, ME
Dubois, WY
Jackson, WY
Billings, MT
Custer, SD
Moab, UT
Nothampton, MA
Watkins Glen, NY
Cooperstown, NY
Mystic, CT
Litchfield, CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Duh, I live there. Savannah and Charleston pass your test but small islands with unique local cuisine and the best beaches - you are pointing out people shouldn't consider them? The difference between siesta key and Newtown in Sarasota. 2 different planets.

I even consider Cortez separate from Bradenton.

Star Fish Co. ftw.

Reaction Score

My point was that srq is not a small city...which is the topic of the original post . I love siesta and longboat. I live In Sarasota so feel competent to comment. Never lived in savanah or Charleston

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Portsmouth, NH
Hatteras, North Carolina
Bristol, TN
Sea Island, Ga
Marathon Key, Fl
Orange Beach, Al
Asheville, NC
Traverse Cith, MI
Flagstaff, Az
Mojave, Ca
Bowling Green, Ky
Lake Tahoe, Ca/Nv
Twin Falls, Id

Reaction Score
I also live in Sarasota - that's three of us in this thread ... I'd say Sarasota is too big to be considered a "small town". But down town does have a small town vibe. As does Siesta Key. I had a place on Longboat - never got any kind of "town" vibe there; just a bunch of beach places owned by people who don't live there.

Reaction Score
Wickford, RI, Nantucket, MA. ......ferrylets you off in the center of town. Many fine restaurants and stores. Quite scenic with cobblestone streets( wear sneakers)

Reaction Score
Portsmouth, NH
Hatteras, North Carolina
Bristol, TN
Sea Island, Ga
Marathon Key, Fl
Orange Beach, Al
Asheville, NC
Traverse Cith, MI
Flagstaff, Az
Mojave, Ca
Bowling Green, Ky
Lake Tahoe, Ca/Nv
Twin Falls, Id
Can you consider some of these small towns? Asheville, NC is a city of almost 100,000 people. Flagstaff is about 75,000. Bowling Green is about 70,000. That ain't small town America. Portsmouth, NH doesn't feel like a small town. Never been to some of the others.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can you consider some of these small towns? Asheville, NC is a city of almost 100,000 people. Flagstaff is about 75,000. Bowling Green is about 70,000. That ain't small town America. Portsmouth, NH doesn't feel like a small town. Never been to some of the others.
Considering others had already offered up Savannah and Charleston, these fit the bill. One of the things I was looking at was towns a bit away from metro areas. Flagstaff is the only thing within an hour in any direction. So, you get Flagstaff and that's it. Similar to Bowling Green or Asheville.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
newport, block island, ri;
provincetown, pittsfield,ma;
portsmouth,nh/kittery,me;
burlington, vt;
greenpoint, cooperstown, ny;
cape may, nj;
harpers ferry, wv
beaufort,sc
seaside, fl
eureka springs, ark
natchez, ms
fredericksburg, tx
park city, utaaaaaaaaaaaaah
carmel by the sea, ca
anywhere in connecticut

Reaction Score

Anyway, Oakmont has not be subsumed by Pittsburgh. It's still a distinct area. I don't find it particularly charming, but it has some positive attributes. I like Mt. Lebanon a lot better. And Sewickely is cool as well.

I don't spend a ton of time in small towns while traveling, but here I some I've enjoyed outside New England where I've spend considerable time:
- Cedarburg, WI
- New Hope, PA
- Red Bank, NJ
- Banff, AB
- Bradenton, FL

In the small city category, I've found Duluth surprisingly fun. Also like Easton, PA, but mostly because I have a friend with a brewery there.
Second Banff, but it was 40 years ago. Spectacular.

Reaction Score
Second Banff, but it was 40 years ago. Spectacular.
Banff is incredible. That surreal aqua colored water is unreal even more spectacular in person

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190828-232057_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190828-232057_Instagram.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
Reaction Score
Wayzata, MN (great call)
Excelsior, MN
Sausalito, CA
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA
Whitefish, MT
Breckinridge, CT
Park City, UT
Bristol, RI
Newport, RI
Mystic, CT
Stowe, VT
Hanover, NH

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If we're doing outside the country, that really opens things up.

We of a certain age who traveled often before 9/11 recall when Canada was basically just a really big northern 51st state, with a border crossing that was timed in seconds, not minutes.

And hell, if one is already in Montana, the closest big city is Calgary. Which has a huge rodeo. And it doesn't get more American than that. And someone else already threw Niagara-on-the-Lake up there (which I should've also included as it's a great little stop on way to TO).

Not like I threw Phuket on the list. You can use a car to get to Banff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

- Cedarburg, WI
- New Hope, PA
- Red Bank, NJ
- Banff, AB
- Bradenton, FL

Grog & Thirsty Whale still kicking. Unfortunately the Rockfish is closed.

Reaction Score
Carmel CA, second that
Ferndale CA in Humboldt County
New Castle DE
Cumberland MD
Carson City UT
Oxford MS
Eureka Springs AR

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors