The best has yet to come... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The best has yet to come...

Reaction Score
Since people have mentioned it, I think Aubrey’s back was an issue all season. She just played through it. A remarkably tough kid. Geno described practices early in the season when she’d play hard for stretches and then lie on the floor to rest her back. I suspect playing 30-40 mins/g exacerbated the problem.

But if we have a solid rotation and she doesn’t have to play more than 20 mins/g I predict she’ll have a great season. And this suits her style better too. She’s most effective as a sprinter, not a long distance runner, so to speak. She’s the fuel you throw on the fire in the middle of the bbq. Flame on!
UConn’s version of Vinnie Johnson, AKA The Microwave!

Reaction Score
I think they mean the best for this team. Obviously nothing will ever top 2013-16.

UConn lost to NDame three times in 2013. Four titles may never happen again but the NCAA tournament isn't the sole measure of a season.

Reaction Score
UConn lost to NDame three times in 2013. Four titles may never happen again but the NCAA tournament isn't the sole measure of a season.
The NCAA tournament is the only thing anyone cares about. No one's going to remember those big wins against Tulsa and East Carolina in January.

Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament is the only thing anyone cares about. No one's going to remember those big wins against Tulsa and East Carolina in January.

Maybe you. Not me. I watch the entire season and the reason I got hooked on the UConn women is the quality of their play during the season. I'm not winning anything in April. Sure it's rewarding to see my team win rings but it's their ring, not mine.
If you attend a concert or a play and the first hour and a half is crappy but it has a well-performed ending, do you say it was a great show?

Reaction Score
if you're looking to argue, I agree, yes you could. Griffins back spasms started back up late in the season and she did not look the same. She needed ice and heat at every time out. Nika was in concussion protocol for one game, so I left her out.
LOL, I was looking to agree. I don't recall Griffin missing any games, but she no doubt had her minutes reduced late in the season. Nika came back at 100%. So, the explanations here now make more sense.

Reaction Score
UConn’s version of Vinnie Johnson, AKA The Microwave!
Not the Microwave!? One of those players that came off the bench and you knew you were getting some buckets. Always loved him playing for the Sonics and the Pistons.

Reaction Score
I am so optimistic (barring injuries) for this upcoming UConn team. I've mentioned this in a few posts but UConn was missing some key pieces that honestly feels like we picked up top talent in our own portal in Storrs.

1. Azzi Fudd was a NPOY contender before her injuries. A healthy Azzi Fudd makes UConn a dangerous team.
2. Speaking of NPOY, no other team in the NCAA had one sitting on the bench apart from UConn. Paige's return will remind everyone just who she is and why she always has been and will be, THAT GIRL.
3. Ducharme - I took an Ibuprofen everytime I saw her on the court. A fully healed Ducharme will be the secret weapon in the backcourt with proven clutch performances.
4. Aubrey Griffin was gas pedal for UConn. Her senior year will be her competing for a WNBA roster spot. Expect an athletic show, if fully healthy.
5. Ice Brady is what happens when Morgan Tuck has a pull-up jumper. Imagine that. She's the most imposing weapon not seen yet in the post. She's been frozen on the bench but she will bring the heat this Fall.
6. El-Alfy has seen a UConn been in practice, is comfortable in her apartment and has seen a UConn loss. They are going to deploy her in a number of ways and though from what I've seen she is really raw. Geno et all will bring out the best in her.

KK Arnold, Samuels and Shade do NOT want to sit on the bench. They will compete everyday with the best backcourt and learn so much. The sun is bright in Storrs

*There are other developments but my focus here was on partial, incomplete or missing data form injuries or arrivals on key personnel.
Love it!! Love the optimism and I am right there with you. This team is hungry. A lot is going to depend on how the coaching goes with this team and how the players buy into what Kelly Faris said a decade ago, “If you don’t know already when you come here, you start to get the feeling pretty quickly: It’s all about effort. “When you get here, if you don’t have it in you and you see that everybody else around you have it, then you pick it up. If you don't. Well, you don't play." I just am envisioning practice sessions that are competitive, chatty, and fun with this group.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom