The Bench of UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Bench of UCONN

Reaction Score
No one should bet their house that those five are going to be the bench. My guess is that the rotation will be nine and three of those players may be top five in minutes played.

Reaction Score
Disrespectful? You mean of course in your opinion, which doesn't make it so. Of course, just because I posted what I did doesn't make it so either. Just stating an opinion. Listen, you've been here longer than I and have an incredible number of posts over that time. You seem to be revered by a host of posters on this board. Is that because you hold yourself out as an expert or is it the sheer volume of your opinions?

I mean no offense, but everyone of your posts I read seems to scream, "I'm the expert on everything, so just listen to me.".

I know I'm going to get blasted for this post because I dared to be negative about the estimable CocoHusky. I hope that those that do will take notice of the fact that you were the one who attacked me by calling my reply to the "NO" post disrespectful.
The only way to resolve this dispute:
1635035889449.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to agree if you are talking about them as the bench (nonstarters). However, if Geno had only those players; Azzi, Dorka, Nika, Caroline Aubrey, Mir, Amari, Saylor, and Piath and a full preseason and season practice with them, then I I would think they would be competitive with all but SC, Stanford, Maryland,, Louisville, Oregon, and perhaps NC State. Not saying we’d win every game, but we certainly would be competitive. I’m not sure why that’s disrespectful as that team would almost surely be comprised of players that are higher ranked than virtually every team they would play (eliminating those top ten teams). That team would have a #1, #5, #15, three top 30s, and two of the top European prospects as well as Piath who has great potential according to Geno.
Most of your assessment is based on potential and this team would include 4 Freshman Azzi, Caroline, Amari, and Saylor.
There are several returning college players that have already realized much of their potential. Returning to college basketball on teams that you have not previously mentioned are AP AAs or honorable mention Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, NaLyssa Smith, Baylor, Naz Hillmon, Michigan, Caitlin Clark, Iowa, Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana Ashley Joens Iowa Sate, & Aisha Sheppard, Virginia Tech. These are terrific players leading quality teams with some very good coaches.
This season ND and Duke rosters are both noteworthy if you want to do an analysis based on HS rankings/potential. The ND roster would include 3 Players (Miles, Brunelle & Dotson) that were top 10 in respective classes + an additional 5 Players that were ranked in the top 25 (Gilbert, Citron, Marshall, Peoples, & Wesbeld). Duke's current roster includes 6 players that were rank in top 20 in their respective HS classes. Maybe disrespect was too strong a word but there are some terrific teams and players in WCBB. I realize that this is a UCONN fan board but it is kind of important to have a broader perspective if one is going to make such a sweeping generalization about UCONN bench compared to the rest of WCBB. @EricLA had a post recently listing several players in college basket that Azzi Fudd is not going to be better than as a freshman. You can quibble with his list the list if you want but I happen to agree with most of it. If Azzi Fudd is not going to better than those players I don't see a UCONN bench team that lead by Azzi can be better than all but 10 teams this season even with Geno coaching them.

Reaction Score
Let's suppose the starters are Paige, E, CW, Liv, and Liyah. That technically means that Azzi, Nika, Dorka, , Aubrey, and let's say Caroline are the next 5 on the bench. Identify at least 10 teams that would most likely be better than that 5 plus the other 4 that I didn't name. So I'm thinking the bench would be a top 10 team.
No. Not even close.

Reaction Score
Seems like we get one of these disrespectful threads every year. Let me put it to perspective how disrespectful it is.
There are already two teams ranked ahed of UCONN in Stanford and South Carolina. Now let's pivot to ranked teams that are on the UCONN's schedule this year and what this madness is saying is that UCONN could beat these teams by just using its bench: Louisville, Georgia Tech, Oregon, Arkansas, UCLA, Notre Dame & TN . This is never going to happen!
Teams not on UCONN schedule that need to be considered are Baylor, NC State, Maryland, Iowa , Indiana, Kentucky, Texas & A&M. UCONN bench by itself is not good enough to beat any of the teams in the top 1/2 of ANY of the P5 conferences.

This was a philosophical question. As the American Historian, Henry Adams wrote: “Philosophy: Unintelligible answers to insoluble problems.” In my philosophy concerning the essence of the post I would, after about ten to fifteen games, say the number 1 team would be the first five players who have the most number of minutes per game played with the number of minutes sixth thru ten played representing the BENCH. Also to be considered is my opinion that there are so many really good players at UCON this year that we may see a few deciding to go elsewhere if they do not get to play often enough.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
At some point in the last month or so, different posters have had, I believe, every Husky except for Paige not being in the starting lineup. So I think the other 13 players would make a top-ten team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
IMO SC's bench is on par with UCONN's. A game of bench vs. bench would be a fun watch:

South Carolina:
C-Cardoso
F-Amihere
F-Feagin
G-Rivers
G-Johnson

Bench:
Russell
Hall
Grissett

UCONN:
C-Juhasz
F-Griffin
F-Ducharme
G-Fudd
G-Muhl

Bench:
Poffenbarger
McLean
Deberry
Gabriel

Reaction Score
1. sc 2. stanford 3. nc st 4. louisville 5. maryland 6. oregon 7. Baylor 8. Indiana 9. Iowa 10. Oregon should I keep going?
Frankly, I would love to see a line-up that had Paige start with four, say CW, Liv, Evina, and AE. Then alternate quarters with Paige, Azzi, Dorka, Caroline, and Amari or Saylor. Nika would spell Paige, Evina, and CW for both line-ups. Of course, it won’t happen but that is the game I would love to watch, not Geno’s usual seven suspects. Could both line-ups beat one or more of those top ten teams? Definitely. They could certainly finish one-two in Big Easy.

Reaction Score
At some point in the last month or so, different posters have had, I believe, every Husky except for Paige not being in the starting lineup. So I think the other 13 players would make a top-ten team.
Man, I love this board.

I guess the big question would be can those 13 get past the sweet 16? I pray to God it won't be a question.

Reaction Score
Man, I love this board.

I guess the big question would be can those 13 get past the sweet 16? I pray to God it won't be a question.
No.
The big question is can these 14 get past the Final Four?

Reaction Score
I have to agree if you are talking about them as the bench (nonstarters). However, if Geno had only those players; Azzi, Dorka, Nika, Caroline Aubrey, Mir, Amari, Saylor, and Piath and a full preseason and season practice with them, then I I would think they would be competitive with all but SC, Stanford, Maryland,, Louisville, Oregon, and perhaps NC State. Not saying we’d win every game, but we certainly would be competitive. I’m not sure why that’s disrespectful as that team would almost surely be comprised of players that are higher ranked than virtually every team they would play (eliminating those top ten teams). That team would have a #1, #5, #15, three top 30s, and two of the top European prospects as well as Piath who has great potential according to Geno.
Trying to rank the bench is a little bit silly, but the second team you mentioned would give the UCONN starting 5 a run for their money. And I bet they do in practice. Azzi, Dorka, NM, Caroline, et. al. in the words of some president, "Come on Man...".

Reaction Score
I think top ten is a bit of a stretch. However, I do think that if Geno had the second five + reserves (as described by the op) for his primary team, they would surely be top 20, perhaps even top 15! That is pretty impressive and is going to be a big problem for our opponents. November can’t get here soon enough as far as I’m concerned.
Not sure about this year, but depending upon whether some players stay the extra Covid year, consider what the reserves will look like next year. One of the top frosh classes in country will return with experience, to be joined by several Top10 recruits. In this game of "What if?" the reserves could be 2 deep in every position.

Reaction Score
Not sure about this year, but depending upon whether some players stay the extra Covid year, consider what the reserves will look like next year. One of the top frosh classes in country will return with experience, to be joined by several Top10 recruits. In this game of "What if?" the reserves could be 2 deep in every position.
Wanna bet?

Reaction Score
IMO SC's bench is on par with UCONN's. A game of bench vs. bench would be a fun watch:

South Carolina:
C-Cardoso
F-Amihere
F-Feagin
G-Rivers
G-Johnson

Bench:
Russell
Hall
Grissett

UCONN:
C-Juhasz
F-Griffin
F-Ducharme
G-Fudd
G-Muhl

Bench:
Poffenbarger
McLean
Deberry
Gabriel
I would put Grissett in place of Feagin and also add Destiny Littleton to the bench.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This is a question without a certain answer, no matter how certain people are. If groomed to be the starting five, we know for certain that some players certainly can play for a top ten team. There’s no doubt about Muhl, because she started for a top ten team last year.

There is little doubt that Juhasz, a first team Big Ten player, could also start for a top ten team, maybe even be an anchor for one.

Griffin has started for a top ten team on occasion. Could she be a reliable starter if circumstance forced Auriemma to groom her as such. Certainly not a given either way.

That leaves the freshmen Fudd and Ducharme. This is the biggest question mark because they are only freshmen and, given the rest of the roster, one would have to be s star, not just a starter, right from the beginning. Once again very uncertain but, given what we just witnessed with Bueckers, along with Fudd’s reputation, not out of the question.

We then only have to look at the ND championship team to know Auriemma only has to develop one of the remaining four to be a top ten worthy bench player. Actually, I would consider this a certainty.

Three certainties for a top ten team: Muhl, Juhasz and the best bench player. Griffin, Fudd and Ducharme are all uncertainties, but not entirely out of the question.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This thread is payback for all those who did not like the starting 5 discussion. Does not look so bad now. :rolleyes:
I am one of those, BUT I respect the right of fans to have the discussion. I do not like 20 discussions and more than 1 perfectly good thread veered into the starting 5 lane.

Reaction Score
Most of your assessment is based on potential and this team would include 4 Freshman Azzi, Caroline, Amari, and Saylor.
There are several returning college players that have already realized much of their potential. Returning to college basketball on teams that you have not previously mentioned are AP AAs or honorable mention Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, NaLyssa Smith, Baylor, Naz Hillmon, Michigan, Caitlin Clark, Iowa, Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana Ashley Joens Iowa Sate, & Aisha Sheppard, Virginia Tech. These are terrific players leading quality teams with some very good coaches.
This season ND and Duke rosters are both noteworthy if you want to do an analysis based on HS rankings/potential. The ND roster would include 3 Players (Miles, Brunelle & Dotson) that were top 10 in respective classes + an additional 5 Players that were ranked in the top 25 (Gilbert, Citron, Marshall, Peoples, & Wesbeld). Duke's current roster includes 6 players that were rank in top 20 in their respective HS classes. Maybe disrespect was too strong a word but there are some terrific teams and players in WCBB. I realize that this is a UCONN fan board but it is kind of important to have a broader perspective if one is going to make such a sweeping generalization about UCONN bench compared to the rest of WCBB. @EricLA had a post recently listing several players in college basket that Azzi Fudd is not going to be better than as a freshman. You can quibble with his list the list if you want but I happen to agree with most of it. If Azzi Fudd is not going to better than those players I don't see a UCONN bench team that lead by Azzi can be better than all but 10 teams this season even with Geno coaching them.
First of all, that team would not be led by Azzi, but rather Nika or Dorka. I never said they would be better, just that they would be competitive. If they are competitive then it is at least possible, (given that they are being coached by Geno, CD, et al) that they could be the best outside the top ten. Clearly, they would not all be better than everyone on the opposing teams, but I would be very surprised if many of those teams played a starting five that was higher ranked as a whole than Azzi, Caroline, Nika, Aubrey/Amari, and Dorka.

Reaction Score
Even if your premise is true--that our bench would be Top 5--as others have observed, it does come across as quite arrogant and very disrespectful to the other fine teams in the WBB. It is interesting for you to make this claim this year, as this might be the most talented collection of teams, and the toughest competition UCONN has ever had to face to win a championship! Perhaps a better question to ask, did any of our previous championship teams have as stiff and equal competition as this team faces, and how would any of the previous championship teams stack up against the current SC and Stanford teams?

Reaction Score
Your post (this entire thread really) is disrespectful of the other teams in WCBB. Everyone of my post is IMO so that would be kind of redundant. This is a BB forum I know a little about basketball. If you really think I'm "revered" or "estimable" on the BY then clearly you have me confused with someone else. I never post expecting anyone to agree with me because half the time I don't agree with myself. I have been here a while and as I said this (UCONN bench could be ranked top 5 or 10 or 20) comes up every year.
This year may be a little different though. At least 3 and possibly 4 of the perceived “bench” as heralded in the initial post on this thread, have been oft touted as starters with Paige. Dorka, Azzi, Nika and Carolyn. As I see it there are at least 8 players that, when any 4 are added to Paige, would be ranked by the powers that be as a top 3 team. My problem is I can’t take Paige out of the equation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom