The Bench (merged) | The Boneyard

The Bench (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most Boneyarders will probably agree that the current bench of the 2022-23 Huskies is the weakest and most ineffective on record. Granted that the team is playing extremely short-handed due to the fact that four of the team’s best players are on the injured list, two for the entire season and two others whose time of return is still not known. And let’s face it, the four injured players (Brady, Bueckers, Ducharme, and Fudd) would all be on the court before Bettencourt, DeBarry, and Patterson under normal circumstances.

On the other hand, both DeBarry and Patterson were considered top five recruits by the basketball gurus and I cannot recall two other UConn players so highly touted who have had less impact. We had high expectations for both.

The Marquette game showed how the wear and tear on the starting five finally caught up with them. My fear is that the physical and mental toll on their bodies will remain for the rest of the season, the Big East tournament, and that the gas tank may be empty by the time of the Big Dance.

The return of Ducharme in a game or two and Fudd by the Big East tournament will certainly help, if they in fact are able to play, but will it be enough? Still, if Ducharme can play again, it will take some of the pressure off Lou because she is being beat up in every game and can rarely get a decent look at the basket. A second shooter could help a great deal.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Heard Geno say that the starters know there are no points coming in off the bench and it’s making them feel pressure to score even more. As an aside I don’t believe either Ducharme or Azzi returns this year.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say this but Patterson looks so lost and goofy out there. Hope she improves for next year. DeBerry just needs to focus on her inside game. Hook shots. Drop step pivot go up strong get fouled she 6'5. She has the talent but lacks confidence. Maybe because if she does to much and it don't go her way Geno pulls her off the court.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Heard Geno say that the starters know there are no points coming in off the bench and it’s making them feel pressure to score even more. As an aside I don’t believe either Ducharme or Azzi returns this year.

Ducharme was the first out in warmups today and told Geno she is very close.

Reaction Score
@LwrcasefaN @Blueballer i wish members can give reasons why they dislike because everyone knows shes lost out there and Deberry needs an inside game and lacks confidence. I doubt you 2 knows basketball

Reaction Score
@LwrcasefaN @Blueballer i wish members can give reasons why they dislike because everyone knows shes lost out there and Deberry needs an inside game and lacks confidence. I doubt you 2 knows basketball

Based on your post, I’d guess they know more basketball than you. As for the dislikes, they are likely for the parts of your original post that you didn’t mention in this one.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We have all discussed about the trials and tribulations of our bench. Geno says he can't use them because no points are coming from them when they are in. What I'm worried about is the confidence level of these three kids because comments like that from Geno and others may be weighing heavily on their shoulders.

To me, the problem is not that they can't shoot, but they refuse to unless they are forced, as in the 3 that Amari made against Georgetown. Ayanna, she took a couple last game and missed, but at least she took them. We have seen her in one past game make 1 or 2 short jumpers, but until last game, they have not been attempted. Amari just stands around at the top of the key looking to pass. She has let go open looks of shots we know she can make.

Now, my biggest disappointment is Ines, because as the only ball handler besides Nika, she is getting the old Nika treatment. We know she can handle the ball pretty well, and we know she can sink a 3 pointer, as well as drive to the basket. Numerous times she has had open 3 point looks, only to pass off to another. I actual have confidence in her ability to shoot, but she seems to think her role is just to handle the ball until the other girls come back in, and don't turn it over. Obviously, we don't know what her instructions from the coaches are when she comes in, but she has to shoot whenever she has a good look.

If we ever want to give our starters some rest, the bench has to perform like them as much as they can, which includes trying to score. With Lou being the only 3 point threat, Ines and Amari can give the others room to move if they can show that they are in the game to play, and not be players that stand around taking up space. If Geno and the other coaches, as well as Paige and the other players encourage them, there might give another dynamic to our team. Even if our 2 shooters return, the current bench players could still be needed, and if they have the confidence to play like we have seen them play, then we will be a team to avoid when the NCAAs are here. We will need all 10 players to get to where we want to go, so the 3 players now have to step it up and help THEIR team succeed going forward.

Reaction Score
Amari's game is too undeveloped, at this point in time, to make anyone feel confident when she is on the floor....Maybe being an aggressive offensive player is not in her genes. Ayanna looks like she belongs out there until it is time to shoot...then? Innes has made the effort, more often than the rest, to get off a shot, but with little playing time she probably won't deliver the goods when really needed. So we all wait patiently for Caroline and Azzi to come back. I have enjoyed this season more than I expected, after Paige's injury.

Reaction Score
Geno has made it very clear that the bench is simply not playable and they prove him accurate each time he tries. His confidence in them and their confidence in themselves is not likely to change during the rest of the season. Hoping otherwise is a valiant, but flawed process. Our hopes for the return of Caroline and Azzi are also well intentioned, but I fear they are overly optimistic! We will go as far as the current five starters can take us, in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom